Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 10:03 AM

1,513 posts, read 1,792,570 times

Advertisements

I included a stack of receipts when I sold my F-150. The buyer, a mechanic, was very impressed. He went through the receipts and observed that most of the common trouble spots had already been addressed. I'd like to think it helped close the sale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2015, 11:47 AM

1,232 posts, read 1,902,148 times
Unless you are trying to hide a flaw that never got fixed, or maintenance that was never done, I don't see why receipts (if you have them) would not be provided. Alternatively, the applicable dealership or professional shop may provide their history with a car. If you can validate that you have diligently kept up with maintenance, that is a selling point for you to get top dollar.

Old 12-02-2015, 12:21 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,091,578 times
Funny how many people look for used cars with all records and will pass on dodgy cars with no records, yet those same people will NOT give up records when they try to sell their cars.

I look for all records of everything that's been done to a car so I know, even without a PPI, what's been done and what is yet to BE done. You don't give up records? You don't get top dollar (no matter how clean it looks) as I'm just going to assume that it needs EVERYTHING that is common for that year and model car.

When I bought my BMW I got records for over $7k of parts/repairs in the preceding 300 miles, covering all the major trouble spots of that model, so I know now that it'll be good for the next few years with only the possibility of minor issues springing up.

Old 12-03-2015, 09:33 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,734,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
Funny how many people look for used cars with all records and will pass on dodgy cars with no records, yet those same people will NOT give up records when they try to sell their cars.

I look for all records of everything that's been done to a car so I know, even without a PPI, what's been done and what is yet to BE done. You don't give up records? You don't get top dollar (no matter how clean it looks) as I'm just going to assume that it needs EVERYTHING that is common for that year and model car.

When I bought my BMW I got records for over $7k of parts/repairs in the preceding 300 miles, covering all the major trouble spots of that model, so I know now that it'll be good for the next few years with only the possibility of minor issues springing up.
I'd be more concerned that the previous owner was up to his eyeballs in repairs that he decided it was a lemon and just wanted to get rid of it.

Old 12-03-2015, 11:47 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,267,886 times
I used to keep meticulous records and pass them along to the new owner with the receipts when I sold the car.

Then I sold an old beater Bonneville to a guy who had the alternator go out a few months after he bought it. I don't think this guy was unreasonable that he would have asked me to replace the alternator myself, but he did notice the receipt for the Autozone alternator with the "lifetime" warranty. The warranty wasn't transferable, but he figured that he could get it replaced free by telling them that he was working on the car for me. So he called me a half-dozen times just asking for details to make his story sound legit. I played along since I figured that it should have lasted a heck of a lot longer given what the damn thing cost (~$200), but the hassle of dealing with it soured me on passing along documentation when I sell a vehicle.

Old 12-03-2015, 12:41 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,674,328 times
Definitely a good thing! Put "all service records" in the ad as a selling point. It shows you've taken care of business and kept everything in tip-top shape. Most buyers will appreciate it.

Old 12-03-2015, 01:53 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,091,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
I'd be more concerned that the previous owner was up to his eyeballs in repairs that he decided it was a lemon and just wanted to get rid of it.
I looked for cars that had all the normal 150k mile known problem areas taken care of, so that I'd know that the car was good for another 150k miles. I know these cars in and out and those records, along with the inspection, made me sure that this was the one I wanted.

Things like timing chain guides tend to go bad at 120-150k miles. This car had that repair just done, so it's good for another 150k. Same with the cooling system overhaul and the front suspension bushings. All the receipts were for the known areas, and showed that it was an enthusiast owner that made sure the car was right.

Old 12-03-2015, 08:33 PM

505 posts, read 847,665 times
I only keep records of major repairs, not every oil change or air filter. If I were to sell one of my cars, I wouldn't mind showing those records to a prospective buyer. Evidence of a new timing belt or tune up definitely is attractive to a buyer.

Old 12-03-2015, 09:13 PM

17,301 posts, read 12,245,675 times
If it's still in warranty even the oil change receipts are very nice to have as should there be a problem they would need to prove they were done.

Old 12-03-2015, 09:33 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
When I was looking for a used truck recently, I saw ads where the seller straight out said they'd already put such and such into the vehicle and just didn't want to put any more money into it. Sometimes these are a great deal. If you're someone willing to put the last $500 or whatever it will take to get the vehicle in good shape, you get a good deal on one that already had nearly everything already done to get it in great shape.

That was basically what I ended up with. Bought a used pickup that they did some work on but didn't want to put the money into it to fix the rest of the problems (which turned out to be a gasket for the intake manifold and a catalytic converter). Plus I bought some new parts for it that were broken (turning light lens, ac/vents inside, new front grill). I was willing to put the money into it to get it in tip top shape and now it should run for years and years without much maintenance.

So, you might think your car might look like a lemon, but to a buyer like me, I'd see a car that's had nearly everything already taken care of - and I'd think the car had been well-maintained, so shouldn't have the types of problems unknown cars have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive