Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 08:48 PM

17,103 posts, read 11,948,240 times

Advertisements

Just be sure to buy H or higher speed rated tires. Most failures occur in lower speed rated tires.
Barry's Tire Tech
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 08:51 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,227,113 times
Anything cheap no name brand I try and stay away from. I did get some no name brand tire a few days ago. But it's my spare that needed replacing.
I've had crappy luck with Roadian tires. My boss loved them on the work trucks. Cheap junk.

Old 11-17-2015, 09:05 PM

2,189 posts, read 1,382,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acercode View Post
I would avoid the OEM tires that came with my new car: Firestone Affinity Touring.
Funny as they are my pick, lol.

Actually, I avoided Firestones for many, many years after all the well known problems they had way back when. But I like White-Wall tires on one of my cars, which are pretty hard to find lately, and the Firestone Affinity Tourings looked like they were worth a try. I figured that they must have it right now, which was a few years ago. Well I always seem to catch them on sale, I like the tread design, and they wear almost like steel, lol. I'm still running the first set I bought. I also have no cracking sidewall problems with them, like many tires do lately. I'm actually very satisfied with them.

Old 11-17-2015, 09:09 PM

17,103 posts, read 11,948,240 times
Firestone Affinity Touring ratings are pretty mediocre.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....finity+Touring

However, really like the Firestone Destination LE2's I put on our Rav4.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....stination+LE+2

Old 11-17-2015, 09:23 PM

25,340 posts, read 16,989,062 times
Michelin.
I used to be a Michelin Man. Then my wife scrubbed a couple of sidewalls and had to have a couple replaced.
Bad luck, right?
Then it sounded like the wheel bearings were going out. Shop mechanic at Goodyear showed me the problem by lifting up the car and spinning the tires by hand. Heck, they almost weren't even round!

That's when he told me that, "You can't convince a Michelin Man. They have to convince themselves"

The Goodyear GSA, for trucks, is too slippery. Doesn't really work on any type of pavement.

I use Coopers, now.

Old 11-17-2015, 09:32 PM

The ones I stay away from lately are Goodyear (I find them too expensive), Coopers (had way too many side wall cracking problems) and Michelin (for 2 reasons).

First one is, the Michelins that came on the last car I bought had some age on them, but yet had hardly any miles on them. The Side Walls had real bad cracks on them. When I got them replaced, the guy that switched them for me told me that the Michelins are known to crack.

Second one is their Customer Service. Because the tread was almost like brand new, they were going to give me a surprising 88% credit, which I was real impressed with. They gave me my pick of certain places to go to and I picked Sears (big mistake). Sears verified the 88% deal, but tried to tack on some extra stuff to run up the bill including a 4-Wheel Alignment. I told them I didn't need one (just had it Aligned 2 weeks earlier) but they said "It is Required". Well I left there and called Michelin back. Michelin told me that "It is Not Required", like I figured. They apologized and selected another place for me, which I agreed. Now remember, they told me 88% for all 4 and Sears verified it. Well the new place told me that Michelin changed their mind and now offered 3 tires for 55%. Left there again and called Michelin back. Told them I was already pre-approved and actually would have had them already if Sears would have been straight with me. Talked to many different people including a supervisor, but the only thing they would budge on was 4 for 55%. That's when I told them that I would never buy a Michelin again. Went back and got some Uniroyals (owned by Michelin) to just pick a non-Michelin tire and to get out of there. The whole ordeal from start to finish cost me about 12 Hours of time and like I told them, I will never buy another Michelin again.

Old 11-17-2015, 09:53 PM

6,691 posts, read 8,705,268 times
As someone who has been in the tire and wheel industry for almost 20 years now, my personal pick is Bridgestone (not Firestone though). My least favorite is Goodyear, particularly the dunlop brand manufactured in the US. Japanese manufactured Dunlop tires are far superior and actually manufactured by a Japanese company called sunimoto rubber.

Dunlop in the US was actually a partnership between sunimoto rubber and Goodyear that just ended last month. Goodyear manufactured all US dunlops until that point and still continues to do so as OEM tires for Japanese auto manufacturs only. Sunimoto rubber also produces Faulken tires being sold here in the US. Also Sunimoto rubber retained the right to Dunlop brand in Japan when the partnership was dissolved.

I also deal with Hankook and Toyo tires and have no complaints about them so far. Just haven't been dealing with them long enough to decide if I personally like them more than Bridgestone.

Michelin is ok but not my top pick.

Old 11-17-2015, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Firestone Affinity Touring ratings are pretty mediocre.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....finity+Touring
Yeah, it seems like they are a little weak in Snow and Ice conditions, otherwise good or better. Luckily we don't get that much poor weather here.

Old 11-17-2015, 10:49 PM

6,410 posts, read 6,942,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
There are a couple brands I steer clear of, and those are Dunlop and Hankook.

Otherwise, I've found at least 1 good model of tire from most other manufacturers. Firestone for example, makes the Destination ST, which is a VERY well reviewed sport SUV/truck tire that performs better than many tires costing twice as much. Pirelli I've had high performance tires and all seasons that have performed well, as well as one model (can't remember off hand) that was so horribly noisy at speed I replaced them even though they had at least 10-15k miles left in them.

Goodyear, same thing, have had good models and bad.

The only manufacturer I've never had a bad model from has been Michelin. All the tires I've ever purchased have been outstanding, but pricey.
Must be why most high end super and hyper cars run the Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires (except P1 running Pirelli) and the only brand to design a tire to handle the speeds of a Veyron SS

I avoid anything Chinese, though tire wholesale owners have told me the more expensive Chinese stuff is ok, but not worth it in my book.

Old 11-18-2015, 06:37 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,068,407 times
No chinese anything. No Bridgestone. Back when the Bridgestone/Firestone tires were killing people I lost two brand new ones within a hundred miles on the same road trip. The first one was a front tire, came apart at 60 mph on a 14 passenger school van loaded with children. It was everything I could do to keep that breadbox upright. Got into town on the freeway and a back tire began to thump. I stopped in time to find a huge balloon in the sidewall, ready to pop. Unloaded the kids at a McD's with other chaperones and limped to Costco to buy two new Michelins with the school district credit card. I run Michelins on my old Mercedes W123 without issue and B.F. Goodrich Long Trail TA's on the Honda Element and All Terrain TA's on the pickup. The Subaru is new and has OEM tires, I forget the make but it will get BFGs or Michelins when those are shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive