Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 09:24 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,712,126 times

Advertisements

Wifes car has Generals on it, they've been pretty solid so far. I used to be a Michelin fan, not so much anymore. I had Latitudes on my Jeep, came with them from the factory. Terrible tire. Garbage in the rain and snow. Replaced them with Goodyear All Terrain Adventures, totally different car. They wear quick, but I expect that out of an A-T tire. Wife's car had Michelins on it before these, they were pretty decent but not made anymore and the replacements got pretty crappy reviews.

That said, I run Michelins on my motorcycle. I've run Dunlops and Bridgestones as well, the Michelins have a better ride and last longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2015, 09:33 AM

806 posts, read 958,024 times
I had Goodyear Eagle GT+4 on my very first car and they were awesome tires. Lasted 90k miles.

But they seem to have gone downhill since because all the Goodyear tires that we've had since has developed bubbles on the sidewalls even when new. Don't feel safe buying them anymore.

Old 11-18-2015, 10:28 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
I miss those Yokohama's that came with my Celica but they were a nightmare on slick roads and driving in the snow. They wore out really quick too. I don't even know what's on the car now but it's a lot better driving in the snow with that extra tread and I don't notice any performance issues.

Old 11-18-2015, 10:47 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,088,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
The brands I would avoid completely are just the Chinese imports such as Geostar, Pegasis, Fuzion, Sailun and Sunny.
These are part of the list that I avoid, as well. Many of the name brand companies also make tires in China, so it's hard to determine which ones to avoid and which ones are decent quality, even from China.

Since I don't care about tread life and won't run all seasons if I can help it, I tend to stick to purpose built performance tires. I've had BF Goodrich G Force, Cooper Cobras, Pirelli P Zero Rosso, Michelin Pilot Cup Sports, but for the money, the Sumitomo HTR Z III tires on my current and last BMW are outstanding. Great grip in wet or dry, and actually decent treadwear for ultra performance tires.

Old 11-18-2015, 10:48 AM

2,773 posts, read 5,159,064 times
I would stay away from cheap tires, you get what you pay for and tires is one of the car components you least want to compromise for safety reason alone (plus noise, vibrations, wear, etc).

For over 25 years I only get my tires at Costco and never had any issues (for over 30 cars & trucks).
90% of the time they are Michelin when they go on sale.

PS: always do an alignment and balance check when getting new tires, plus check the old ones for uneven wear which should point to other issues with the car

Old 11-18-2015, 11:28 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,729,849 times
Another important aspect beyond brand is age. I would shop at retailers with high turnover. Otherwise you might get old stock from years ago.

Old 11-18-2015, 01:23 PM

82 posts, read 109,089 times
years ago I had the Goodyear Viva, sold exclusively at Walmart.
good lord they suck in the rain! slip and slide. I hydroplaned into the crosswalk when coming to a stop at a red light. thank god there were no one crossing.

They're up to Viva3 now with supposedly improved wet traction.
the tire is inexpensive tho! (~$79 each for 16")

others to Avoid (all due to lack of wet traction):
Goodyear Eagle RSA
Bridgestone Turanza

oh.. title is which BRAND to avoid?
there is no brand for me. every tire company has good and bad.

generally, avoid tires w/bad wet traction ratings.
every tire stops ok on dry pavement. stopping in the rain is where it's most important!

Old 11-18-2015, 03:46 PM

2,458 posts, read 2,473,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by counterclockwise View Post
I had a Firestone tire stored as a spare blow out in the trunk.
I've heard of bad tires, but that one was a doozy.

Old 11-18-2015, 03:50 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
I wouldn't avoid any brands, but I would avoid buying tires from a chain associated with any brand, such as Firestone or Goodyear. Not because of the quality of the tires, but of my perception of the pricing and business practices of the franchises.

I would go to an independent tire shop, and buy the cheapest tire that fit my car with a brand I am familiar with and have bought satisfactory tires before, such as Kelly or Cooper.

Old 11-18-2015, 04:55 PM

5,671 posts, read 5,868,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
The funny thing is that BFG and Uniroyal are manufactured by Michelin where Michelin branded tires are also made. In some cases on the same exact production lines, just different tire molds.
Strange aint it!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive