Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 10:55 AM

2,464 posts, read 6,468,836 times

Advertisements

I do 10 and 2 with a tight grip on L.A. Freeways. It's my hyper reactive driving pose (be prepared for anything - a couch in the lane, a car stalled, or some blow hard aggressive driver). L.A. Freeways you have to be uber prepared. I feel like I have the best control with both hands tight on the wheel. I tend to drive in the carpool lane or the far left lane (to keep away from onramps and such) so I'm not going 60-65. 10-2 is not the recommended method however (I think it's 9 -3 position that's recommended).

So I'm driving at a 75 mph clip and have to make micro movements and sometimes (on certain freeways) going at a fast pace with the turns and bumps can make it unsafe IMO to just have one hand on the wheel at those speeds.

Eyes focused, both hands on the wheel, no weaving in and out of traffic - I don't mess around when I drive.

Last edited by mommabear2; 11-19-2015 at 11:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2015, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
9-3 is not bad, 8-4 is better, 10-2 has not been recommended since air bags came in. At 10-2 an air bag will blow your hands off the wheel and you lose all control.
You would lose control anyway as soon as the airbag is deployed. I'll use 8-4 on regular streets but not on the highway (it makes my arms tired).

Old 11-19-2015, 11:09 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,091,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
I do 10 and 2 with a tight grip on L.A. Freeways. It's my hyper reactive driving pose (be prepared for anything - a couch in the lane, a car stalled, or some blow hard aggressive driver). L.A. Freeways you have to be uber prepared. I feel like I have the best control with both hands tight on the wheel. I tend to drive in the carpool lane or the far left lane (to keep away from onramps and such) so I'm not going 60-65.
Your grip shouldn't be too tight. A light touch is more in control than a tight grip, especially in a car that's got more than one full turn lock to lock (pretty much any street car. Some race cars have 1 turn or less lock to lock, and they can be held fairly tightly, though most road racers and rally drivers use a light touch to be most responsive, too).

If you're paying attention and calm, you'll be able to anticipate things much better than if you're hyper tense, and you're avoidance maneuvers wont' have to be as quick or as violent.

Old 11-19-2015, 11:11 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,091,578 times
Quote:
9-3 is not bad, 8-4 is better, 10-2 has not been recommended since air bags came in. At 10-2 an air bag will blow your hands off the wheel and you lose all control.
If the airbag's gone off, you've already lost control and have hit something. There won't be much steering after that point anyhow...

Old 11-19-2015, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
Your grip shouldn't be too tight. A light touch is more in control than a tight grip, especially in a car that's got more than one full turn lock to lock (pretty much any street car. Some race cars have 1 turn or less lock to lock, and they can be held fairly tightly, though most road racers and rally drivers use a light touch to be most responsive, too).

If you're paying attention and calm, you'll be able to anticipate things much better than if you're hyper tense, and you're avoidance maneuvers wont' have to be as quick or as violent.
Good to know. My logic is if the wheel slips from under my grip like in the case of hitting an unexpected bump or hitting a car (which, in L.A. people LOVE to cross double lines to enter the carpool lane). It's hard not to be hyper aware when people do this. It's like I'm always expecting someone to do it... I want to keep the car from turning too much and flipping my car. And I don't do violent moves - I mentally prepare myself to not do them because I know how catastrophic those moves can be. Sounds strange to be "hyper aware to not do violent moves." I guess it's more being hyper aware of other people.

Old 11-19-2015, 11:51 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times
Generally I keep them at 8 - 4. Sometimes to stretch my arms I’ll move to 9 - 3. On really long trips if I’m getting tired, I might do 7 - 5 for a while, on straight roads. When I’m going around a curve, I will move them to 10 - 4 for a left curve, or 8 - 2 for a right curve.

Last edited by KaaBoom; 11-19-2015 at 12:08 PM..

Old 11-19-2015, 12:03 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times
Quote:
Hopefully your hands will be blown off the wheel. Otherwise you are going to suffer some pretty serious trauma to your hands.

Old 11-19-2015, 12:34 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,345,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
Good to know. My logic is if the wheel slips from under my grip like in the case of hitting an unexpected bump or hitting a car (which, in L.A. people LOVE to cross double lines to enter the carpool lane). It's hard not to be hyper aware when people do this. It's like I'm always expecting someone to do it... I want to keep the car from turning too much and flipping my car. And I don't do violent moves - I mentally prepare myself to not do them because I know how catastrophic those moves can be. Sounds strange to be "hyper aware to not do violent moves." I guess it's more being hyper aware of other people.
The majority of motorcycle riders on the freeways are like this.

Old 11-19-2015, 12:42 PM

734 posts, read 920,400 times
The folks at the highway safety says to leave it the way we were taught. 10/2.. It was first thought that with the new air bags, you would put it at 8/4. But studies proved that when deflating the airbag, your fingers would not get broken it 10/2. It was the way that people held their hands over the steering wheel in which led to their bones being broken when the bag deflated. So leaving 10/2 is still the best hand position when driving.

Old 11-19-2015, 12:47 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,245,675 times
NHTSA and AAA both endorse 9/3 now.
http://www.nbcnews.com/business/get-...l-wrong-518710
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive