Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 12:56 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,525,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Camry is built in the US, as are most Toyota's
But the parts are made all over the world, still both SAE and metric wrench sets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2015, 01:57 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,989,068 times
My 1970 Maverick. Room to stand in the engine compartment if needed.

Old 11-21-2015, 05:40 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,169,212 times
We have 28 yr old gmc value van, old beast, have to buy parts on the internet nobody carries them any more! All SAE wrenches on that one! But it doesn't have lots of electronics on it and (ahem) no pollution stuff any more. But the V8 explorer, we once had to take off the hood to access at the proper angle part right up against the fire wall. Sheesh.

I've read most of this to DH and he says thanks for the wisdom.

Explorer was bought at an auction, it was 2 years old and had about 25,000 on it. We'd go something a bit smaller and definitely v4 or v8. I am used to driving something that sits me up higher because visibility is better, but really we had a Mercury Sable and that was ok...just had problematic transmission that we fixed and fixed and fixed (was their first year for an electronic transmission). Price, don't have much that's for sure. But we can't buy an old clunker either.

I think I'm just tired of being mechanics helper. 4 vehicles on the road and I help maintain all of them.

Old 11-21-2015, 05:47 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,623,706 times
Any Toyota.

Old 11-21-2015, 06:05 PM

Oh, sorry I meant V4 or V6. Haven't figured out the edit function once. Tried it and post disappeared never to return!

Old 11-21-2015, 06:53 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,228,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
Prius.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Answers View Post
Really? I thought they were pricey. He'd heard that Mercedes were easy to work on but who can afford those?

Prius isn't too pricey. I drive 30K miles per year, and that's what I picked last year as the most cost-efficient medium-sized car I could find. I bought new for around $23K, and that was one of the higher trim standard-sized models with the moving map, upgraded stereo, etc. It's got just under 30K on it now, and the only problem I've had is a little rubber trim piece fall off in the wheel well. It cost around $20 to have it replaced.

The car looks very small, but there's quite a bit of room in the front and rear seats and in the trunk, and the rear seats lays down so the cargo capacity is fairly large. I'm a big guy and 70 years old, so I wanted something that had easy entry/exit and wasn't too cramped inside. The Prius has met my needs, been trouble-free so far, and has proven very economical with average mileage topping 45 mpg and oil changes only recommended every 10K miles. (I live just off I-90 in Wyoming where the speed limit is 80 mph and drive the speed limit; when I drive 65 mph (secondary roads) or around town I get 50 mpg.)

It's NOT a vehicle in which you sit up high above the traffic; quite the opposite, and I really have no idea how it would be to work on. I mention it only because it's already been suggested in this thread and you seemed to think it was expensive. It's not priced as an economy car, but I wouldn't call it pricey. You might want to take a look at one.

I did look at a couple used ones but thought they were overpriced compared to a new one.

Last edited by WyoNewk; 11-21-2015 at 07:04 PM..

Old 11-22-2015, 11:48 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,691,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Answers View Post
Really? I thought they were pricey. He'd heard that Mercedes were easy to work on but who can afford those?
Quite, the opposite, Mercedes is one of the more difficult German brands to work on and many work requires a certified Mercedes tech to perform which is what they impose to force owners to bring to their overpriced shops. Many parts they use are not common equipment which is why it's luxury they are supposed to use high quality stuff.

Old 11-22-2015, 10:46 PM

Don't know where Husband got the info about Mercedes. Not surprised. Son in Law had a BMW and everything he had done on it was so pricey I couldn't believe it.

We're really not "luxury" people, anyhow. I don't have anything to prove to anybody these days. We bought the suv because it was the only one enclosed that would fit a whole sheet of plywood. Once we quit working, won't need to worry about those things any more. Come to think of it, we never did carry any plywood in it. We have trucks for that! I can't wait for the tires to wear a bit so we can take the old ugly tire wheel off the front and replace it with a better looking one. Just using up the tire stash around here.

Old 11-23-2015, 06:27 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,448,809 times
Jeep Wrangler.

Old 11-23-2015, 06:31 PM

590 posts, read 714,243 times
1992-1995 honda civic W/ manual transmission. Trust this. I've seen em' all.....those civics have withstood the test of time and abuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive