Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2015, 07:17 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,813,284 times

Advertisements

Almost every dealership that I have been to (especially the big, "franchise" dealers, the only lots that will let me take the car off the lot are those 'buy here, pay here' lots), say I can only let a mechanic look at the car if the mechanic comes to the dealership. Umm...I don't think my mechanic will leave the shop and come to the dealership. What's the likelihood that any mechanic will meet me at a dealership to look at a car? I doubt most will. Plus, if they don't have a lift they can put the car on to look at it, will they be able to look over the car thoroughly enough to make the inspection worth my time? I mean, they probably won't be able to do much without the car being in their garage where they can use all their tools so wouldn't it basically be pointless for me to have the mechanic come to the dealer to inspect a car?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2015, 07:28 PM

19,033 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Normal dealerships have plenty of lifts.
Arrange for long term test drive and simply take car to your mech.
Tell them you need to show it to your wife who works very awkward hours and 30 miles away one way and that's the only way she can take a look at the car and you can not make a financial decision of such gravity on family budget without her seeing the purchase and approving it first.
Phew, that was a long sentence.

Old 11-21-2015, 07:38 PM

2,155 posts, read 3,592,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninersfan82 View Post
Almost every dealership that I have been to (especially the big, "franchise" dealers, the only lots that will let me take the car off the lot are those 'buy here, pay here' lots), say I can only let a mechanic look at the car if the mechanic comes to the dealership. Umm...I don't think my mechanic will leave the shop and come to the dealership. What's the likelihood that any mechanic will meet me at a dealership to look at a car? I doubt most will. Plus, if they don't have a lift they can put the car on to look at it, will they be able to look over the car thoroughly enough to make the inspection worth my time? I mean, they probably won't be able to do much without the car being in their garage where they can use all their tools so wouldn't it basically be pointless for me to have the mechanic come to the dealer to inspect a car?
A GOOD dealership with cars they can take pride in cooperates with the buyer's check process. My shop has a good relationship with a good, mature salesman at our local Honda dealer. He has a porter drop off the car and tells me to let him know whenever we are done -- no hurry!

An on site "buyer's check" without access to a lift isn't worth crap.

Should a seller not cooperate with the buyer's check process, then the buyer's check can be considered already done at no cost to the buyer, "FAILED!!"

Don in Austin

Old 11-22-2015, 10:30 AM

1,213 posts, read 3,112,364 times
Pretty much all dealers aren't going to let your mechanic use their shop/lifts. Liability issues since your mechanic is not their employee. Many dealers I am familiar with will let you take a used car for an extended test drive if you ask the right way. Just don't tell them that the extended test drive will involve a visit to your mechanic's shop.

Old 11-22-2015, 11:03 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnZ963 View Post
Just don't tell them that the extended test drive will involve a visit to your mechanic's shop.
One of the forum do-gooders will be along soon, to tell us that it is a form of theft, to take the car for a purpose not explicitly expressed to the dealer.

Old 11-22-2015, 03:56 PM

test1
test/
noun
noun: test; plural noun: tests
a procedure intended to establish the quality, performance, or reliability of something, especially before it is taken into widespread use.

Car is taken for a TEST drive. Even a lawyer cant' argue with this.

Old 11-22-2015, 04:04 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,813,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnZ963 View Post
Pretty much all dealers aren't going to let your mechanic use their shop/lifts. Liability issues since your mechanic is not their employee. Many dealers I am familiar with will let you take a used car for an extended test drive if you ask the right way. Just don't tell them that the extended test drive will involve a visit to your mechanic's shop.
Every dealer I have been to has a sales person ride with me so I can't sneak off to the mechanic.

Old 11-22-2015, 09:10 PM

You asked, we suggested. Now it all will go into idle discussion. No sales person will go with you for a long term drive.

Old 11-22-2015, 09:12 PM

Even better, find a buddy who is a good mechanic and take him with you to look at a car. No One in the sane mind can possibly stop you from doing this. Tug along ramps. Good mech needs good ear and flashlight and ability to glance under the hood and under the car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive