Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 05:04 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,725,465 times

Advertisements

It is for these reasons we only shop the lots when they are closed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 06:44 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,550,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
It is for these reasons we only shop the lots when they are closed.
Yeah but cannot test drive when they are closed and I wanted my wife to test drive them.

Old 11-23-2015, 06:47 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,541,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I do all my negotiating online since I do a ton of research and know exactly what I want. I arrange a meeting time and say, have the car and paperwork ready for this price and I'll pick it up. The last time I bought a car I was in and out in 1 hour and didn't have any negotiations or anything to deal with.
This. I don't know why people go to dealerships anymore to deal with the hassle. Negotiate online, pickup vehicle when you have agreed on price. Also, don't ever give any real information until you have agreed the price and they need it to close the deal. I usually create a fake email address for the purposes of negotiation because of the amount of spam after the fact.

Old 11-23-2015, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Well we have been called by the Honda guy 3 times so far today, should have given him a fake phone number. The Toyota guy has yet to call as I told him we will contact him when we are ready.
Rule #1, never give any real information.

Old 11-23-2015, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Yeah but cannot test drive when they are closed and I wanted my wife to test drive them.
Thats what Carmax is for - to test drive/sit in many different vehicles you might be interested in. [Much the way Best Buy is the place you go to look at the TV you will be ordering online for delivery.]

Old 11-23-2015, 07:21 PM

806 posts, read 958,730 times
Wanted the newly redesigned Camry so talked to a Toyota dealer who was offering it at the lowest price to make sure they had the exact model we wanted, which they claimed they did. So after an hour drive we finally get there only to find out not a single Camry was in stock. They assured us that they were "on the truck" and expected any min. An hour pass.... no truck. 2 hours pass... no truck. During this entire time, they kept trying to get us in to the previous gen Camry (old design). Finally realized they were lying and only wanted to sell us the older stock. Just happened to drive by a week later and they still didn't have any in stock, so they were big fat liars.

We ended up buying it at another Toyota dealer that actually had them in stock at an excellent price.

You could go to 10 different Toyota dealers and have 10 different experiences so it's probably not fair to paint an entire make with a broad stroke.

Old 11-23-2015, 10:26 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,573,907 times
reminds of this:
Confessions of a Car Salesman

Old 11-24-2015, 05:57 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
Sites like AutoTrader,Cars.com,Edmunds are you best friend. Search nationwide to see what the car your looking for averages in price then if you find one near you use that info right from the gate to see if they'll meet/beat it.
I've driven 1200 miles to by a 5th wheel trailer. Why? Because I saved $10k+ doing so. I actually stopped at several dealers along the way asking if they'd match the deal and after being told "no way" finished the drive and was glad I did.
Cheap airfare can be found, mini vacation to do a "fly and drive" to save thousands is a no brainer.

I'm looking at buying a Ram pickup as I write this, searching nationwide on the sites I listed above and seeing prices have varied by $5-8k. 2 days of driving to save $5k++? YES PLEASE!!

Old 11-24-2015, 11:24 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,550,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
Rule #1, never give any real information.
Learned that lesson the hard way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
Thats what Carmax is for - to test drive/sit in many different vehicles you might be interested in. [Much the way Best Buy is the place you go to look at the TV you will be ordering online for delivery.]
No Carmax any where close to me.

Old 11-24-2015, 04:13 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,725,465 times
Quote:

But you weren't ready to buy yet. You go look at the lots when they are closed so you dont deal with any hassling. Once you land on a couple you come back when you are ready to talk buying. Then you can drive whatever you want.

My point is simply that you dont have to deal with pushy sales people until you are ready to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive