Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 11:45 AM

5,152 posts, read 1,415,637 times

Advertisements

Keep your headlights clear with car wax! Just wipe ordinary car wax on your headlights. It contains special water repellents that will prevent that messy mixture from accumulating on your lights - lasts 6 weeks.

Squeak-proof your wipers with rubbing alcohol!
Wipe the wipers with a cloth saturated with rubbing alcohol or ammonia.

This one trick can make badly streaking & squeaking wipers change to near perfect silence & clarity.

Ice-proof your windows with vinegar! Frost on it's way?

Just fill a spray bottle with three parts vinegar to one part water & spritz it on all your windows at night. In the morning, they'll be clear of icy mess.

Vinegar contains acetic acid, which raises the melting point of water---preventing water from freezing!

Prevent car doors from freezing shut with cooking spray!

Spritz cooking oil on the rubber seals around car doors & rub it in with a paper towel.

The cooking spray prevents water from melting into the rubber

Fog-proof your windshield with shaving cream!

Spray some shaving cream on the inside of your windshield & wipe if off with paper towels.

Shaving cream has many of the same ingredients found in commercial defoggers.

De-ice your lock in seconds with hand sanitizer!

Just put some hand sanitizer gel on the key & the lock
& the problems solved
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 11:56 AM

17,302 posts, read 12,245,675 times
#1 tip.
Clean out all of the junk in your garage and actually park your car in it. I'm always so puzzled to see so many houses with nice 2 car garages yet the cars are outside because the garage is full of junk.

I would not use vinegar on my car.
http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/vinegar.asp

Old 11-23-2015, 11:59 AM

85 posts, read 103,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
#1 tip.
Clean out all of the junk in your garage and actually park your car in it. I'm always so puzzled to see so many houses with nice 2 car garages yet the cars are outside because the garage is full of junk.

so true

Old 11-23-2015, 12:00 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,811,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
#1 tip.

I would not use vinegar on my car.
Use Vinegar and Water to De-Ice Your Windshield? : snopes.com
I've always wondered the same thing, especially in cold-weather regions where your windshield WILL have frost every morning for 4 months out of the year. I assume it's because they don't either don't have the space or money to build a shed in the backyard to store their lawn equipment. For me personally I leave my daily driver on the driveway in the winter because my summer car is hibernating in the garage. That's the price you pay to own a 3rd car with a 2-car garage.

Old 11-23-2015, 12:11 PM

19,029 posts, read 27,592,838 times
Sooo... We'll be driving around in a car that smells of pickles, with slight scent of cooking oil and white beard from shaving cream?

Old 11-23-2015, 02:28 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times
Where I live, even the winter window wash with alcohol in it, freezes. Vinegar? Yes, it freezes too. But wiping the wiper blades with alcohol, or even vinegar or ammonia does quiet noisy wipers during the summer.

Old 11-23-2015, 03:56 PM

505 posts, read 847,665 times
-Use winter blend washier fluid and keep it topped off.
-Make sure all your exterior lights are in working order. Always keep them clear of snow and debris.
-Keep tires aired up since fluctuating temperatures between fall & winter can cause them to get low. Also check your spare.
-Keep an ice scraper/brush combo in your car.
-Don't immediately start your wipers full blast with a pile of snow on top of them. This can damage the linkage assembly that allows them to move.
-Don't drive like an idiot and be considerate of others on the road

Old 11-23-2015, 04:13 PM

3,378 posts, read 9,208,084 times
I drive a diesel and part of getting ready for winter is blocking the entire radiator with corrugated plastic. Without it in place it takes for ever to get up to operating temperature.

Old 11-23-2015, 07:52 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Put your snow tires on

/thread

Old 11-23-2015, 10:11 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,404,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Put your snow tires on

/thread
2nd. ^^^^

+

Put your winter tires on a set of steel wheels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive