Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 07:55 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
If you are dropping in anything other than a halogen bulb designed for that reflector housing there will be glare.

A reflector housing creates refractive light. It is how they work. Can you explain how a led bulb isn't refractive?

I'm just trying to figure out if LED are less refractive than HID. I know HIDs tend to throw light everywhere. I see a ton of cars with really really bright headlights but the light is going everywhere not n the road. I'm planning on using normal halogen bulbs. Eventually when they wear/break if there is a upgrade to a LED that requires nothing more than remove replace and it's better lighting I'll run those. I'm trying to stay away from HID OR 80/100 because I don't want to melt the housings. My buddy has aftermarket HID and they are bright but very annoying and he's always having issues replacing ballasts. I want a working system nit something I gotta carry spare parts. And my wife's car has HID from the factory and they work great. I wish I could use those
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2015, 10:11 PM

3,378 posts, read 9,210,139 times
Buy something like this...

Ford 99 04 F250 SMD LED DRL Projector Headlights Head Lamps Black F350 F450 | eBay

Clear out that crap projector that comes with it....visit www.theretrofitsource.com and speak with them about what will fit

Also visit HiDplanet : The Official Automotive Lighting Forum ....

Old 11-30-2015, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
Buy something like this...

Ford 99 04 F250 SMD LED DRL Projector Headlights Head Lamps Black F350 F450 | eBay

Clear out that crap projector that comes with it....visit www.theretrofitsource.com and speak with them about what will fit

Also visit HiDplanet : The Official Automotive Lighting Forum ....
If this headlight swap doesn't work I already found the retrofit source. I appreciate the heads up

Old 11-30-2015, 10:38 PM

3,378 posts, read 9,210,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
If this headlight swap doesn't work I already found the retrofit source. I appreciate the heads up
They are good folks with great products .... they just released this projector....it looks to be pretty amazing.

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/bi...rojectors.html

Old 12-04-2015, 05:14 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,823,013 times
Quote:
I'm just trying to figure out if LED are less refractive than HID. I know HIDs tend to throw light everywhere. I see a ton of cars with really really bright headlights but the light is going everywhere not n the road. I'm planning on using normal halogen bulbs. Eventually when they wear/break if there is a upgrade to a LED that requires nothing more than remove replace and it's better lighting I'll run those. I'm trying to stay away from HID OR 80/100 because I don't want to melt the housings. My buddy has aftermarket HID and they are bright but very annoying and he's always having issues replacing ballasts. I want a working system nit something I gotta carry spare parts. And my wife's car has HID from the factory and they work great. I wish I could use those
fro. what i've seen of the drop in led bulds(with the cooling fan unit); they would probably work best with halogen projectors, or with a front shroud that bouncez the light back at the reflector. if yoh have an unshelded light bulb(freeform), they won't look too good.

Old 12-04-2015, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
fro. what i've seen of the drop in led bulds(with the cooling fan unit); they would probably work best with halogen projectors, or with a front shroud that bouncez the light back at the reflector. if yoh have an unshelded light bulb(freeform), they won't look too good.

I just got my light housings. There are these shroud cones that sre located in front of the bulbs themselves. I'm gonna swap this weekend. Wait till evening to aim the lights. I'm gonna look into the drop in LED bulbs too. They don't seem too expensive

Old 12-05-2015, 01:54 PM

Quote:
I just got my light housings. There are these shroud cones that sre located in front of the bulbs themselves. I'm gonna swap this weekend. Wait till evening to aim the lights. I'm gonna look into the drop in LED bulbs too. They don't seem too expensive
yeah, that's it. I was looking for led bulbs for my scooter. I also just found out that tye new explorers use an led lobeam. I was washing one, and noticed there was no bulb there, once I get home, I'll post a pic.

Old 12-05-2015, 04:46 PM

If you look to tue right, you'll see what looks like a few slots, and right next to the first "slot," there's a rhombus like shape, that houses the leds. They aim them at the reflector.

I want to copy bmw's laser headlights(which is way less complicated than audis), I figured out how to not only make them, but to even add a hibeam funtion, and it'll be more compact than theirs.

Old 12-05-2015, 07:48 PM

https://www.instagram.com/p/-7cn91MZBP/
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
If you look to tue right, you'll see what looks like a few slots, and right next to the first "slot," there's a rhombus like shape, that houses the leds. They aim them at the reflector.

I want to copy bmw's laser headlights(which is way less complicated than audis), I figured out how to not only make them, but to even add a hibeam funtion, and it'll be more compact than theirs.
I forgot the picture. for some reason it won't show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive