Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 09:49 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,736,632 times

Advertisements

The vehicles springs are worn out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2015, 01:35 PM

18,830 posts, read 27,268,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
96 Mitsubishi
175,000 miles
The struts were made by Monroe and cost about $55 each. We were thinking they were installed improperly after watching the mechanic put them on. They did not know what they were doing based on our observation. The rubber boot was put on differently on one than the other. Channel locks were used to hold the piston rod still to remove the top nut which is hard to remove. Other issues as they struggled to get the new struts in the springs. We questioned it and the boss man said they had changed dozens of them. We say ha. Cancelling the job would have left us the cost of labor to remove the new ones and put the old ones back on as well as the labor already spent. We decided the cheapest way out was to leave and consider installing new ones ourselves. We decided on a mechanic because the spring tool is somewhat risky to use with the high tension on the spring.

Why do conditions of tires have anything to do with it. After the struts we put new tires on the rear and the back end bounces badly.
I had 96 Mitsubishi Galant. that was the one I tired adjustable KYBs on.
Tires have much to do with rough ride as if tire has what is called "out of round" issue, it's basically like driving on an egg shaped object.
From you description shop that did struts sounds like a gas station one. Every strut either has hex key provision at the top or two surfaces to have wrench locked on, to undo top plate nut. Those nuts are normally pinch nuts or locking nuts.
By using channel locks or visegrips to keep strut rod from spinning, one puts scratches onto a polished rod. I know, I did it.
Rubber insulators for strut plate and bearing plate can go on only one way, ot spring will move on it and click with every turn.

Old 11-25-2015, 02:25 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,267,390 times
Quote:
If you have new struts installed and the rear end handles bumps the same as before whatt else could be the issue?

The struts have a basic installation so it seems like it might be false to think the struts were not installed correctly. How can they be installed in-correctly?

Did you just change the shock part of the strut or did you get a complete strut and spring assembly?
You most likely heavenward out springs and worn out control arm bushings, ball joints could be worn out too.
Adding sand in the trunk just collapses the spring. You can try to do that. If the ride gets better your springs are shot

Old 11-26-2015, 08:35 AM

1,440 posts, read 4,400,664 times
Another thing to keep in mind with places like Monroe, Midas and so on is that they have a limited number of semi-universal fit struts and shocks on hand. Sort of a it'll fit, might make some noise, should be ok kind of thing. For example, older story but nonetheless handy....

Chain shop has three or so different rear shock applications to fit early 90's Chrysler products. Chrysler shows over thirty different part numbers for the same models. Friend of mine tried three different sets from one of the chain places, all made a thunking noise. Went to local Chrysler service shop, ordered model specific shocks and never had a thunk again. More expensive but order struts/shocks from an actual dealer.

Old 11-26-2015, 12:55 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,328,377 times
Springs rarely if ever wear out. Don't listen to those posters. Springs, when worn, will lower your ride height. This would be caught in an alignment.

Struts on the other hand control the amount of dampening action the car has when hitting a bump and are the source of the "floaty" comments. With worn struts your car will bounce up and down like one of those hydraulic cars. Struts resist the action of the springs as they oscillate toward equilibrium.

At that mileage it's important you replace the mounts as well.

Old 11-27-2015, 10:53 AM

430 posts, read 635,193 times
The only vehicles with struts in the rear are Subarus as far as I know

You probably had your shock absorbers replaced. But you could still have bad bushings

Old 11-27-2015, 12:40 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,919,263 times
Are wheels and tires stock, or have you added some aftermarket wheels? I've seen plenty of cars where owner went to 16" wheels (stock was 15") and they rode and handled like _hit.

Old 01-08-2016, 01:27 PM

14,394 posts, read 20,470,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Did you just change the shock part of the strut or did you get a complete strut and spring assembly?
You most likely heavenward out springs and worn out control arm bushings, ball joints could be worn out too.
Adding sand in the trunk just collapses the spring. You can try to do that. If the ride gets better your springs are shot
We tried weight in the trunk on the right side. It seemed better for a short time and then not so we removed the weight.

Which springs (being shot) are you referring to? The one that requires a spring compressor to install the strut which looks like a shock absorber?
We did not get the full assembly as they are rather expensive and they do not even have them for our vehicle. Spring and strut together is a fairly new item.

I removed the right wheel and I see nothing that is broken and I see nothing that could be a bad part or loose part or worn part.

Maybe I post a photo and you can identify the parts.

Old 01-08-2016, 03:56 PM

615 posts, read 659,980 times
Quote:
We tried weight in the trunk on the right side. It seemed better for a short time and then not so we removed the weight.

Which springs (being shot) are you referring to? The one that requires a spring compressor to install the strut which looks like a shock absorber?
We did not get the full assembly as they are rather expensive and they do not even have them for our vehicle. Spring and strut together is a fairly new item.

I removed the right wheel and I see nothing that is broken and I see nothing that could be a bad part or loose part or worn part.

Maybe I post a photo and you can identify the parts.
I think he means the emergency brake return spring

If the spring doesn't work the shock can't do its job.

Old 01-08-2016, 04:06 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,887,938 times
Quote:
96 Mitsubishi
175,000 miles
The struts were made by Monroe and cost about $55 each.
There may be a terminology issue here.
A Macpherson strut has a shock absorber inside the coil spring.

And Monroe makes a wide variety of shocks and at various prices and levels of quality/ride.

There is no way to tell if the springs are worn out unless you have a very expensive compression machine.
Unless a spring is broken/rusted. That you could normally see, feel, and hear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive