Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 08:13 AM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times

Advertisements

You ever bought a new or nearly new car and didn't recognize issues until several months after purchase? A seat that felt comfortable on the short test drive but now begins to cause a pain over longer trips, ergonomic placement of a dashboard control, or options package you paid for and realize you don't use nor needed any of those options?

I bought a nearly new 2003 Malibu in 2004. Though the seat felt comfortable, it began to put pressure on my tailbone that was broken in 1986. It got progressively worse and needed a seat cushion with hole for spine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2015, 08:54 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
It's more common than you might think, to some degree or another. I especially noticed it among customers stepping down a size class. Camry/accord to civic/corolla means losing a few creature comforts, but more notably a harsher, louder ride and less space can wear after a long trip.

Old 11-28-2015, 09:05 AM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
It's more common than you might think, to some degree or another. I especially noticed it among customers stepping down a size class. Camry/accord to civic/corolla means losing a few creature comforts, but more notably a harsher, louder ride and less space can wear after a long trip.
Today's compacts are the size of yesterday's midsize. If you take long commutes or road trips then midsize is the way to go. My commute is 16 miles round trip and rarely highway miles so today's compact is for me.

Old 11-28-2015, 09:06 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Yeah I ran into that. I drive a lot so I swap seats from a higher end model or go have the seat reformed by a upholstery shop. I drive a average of 50 miles a day sometimes I drive 100-120 miles one way. A comfortable seat is big on my list.

Old 11-28-2015, 12:15 PM

7,185 posts, read 9,320,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Yeah I ran into that. I drive a lot so I swap seats from a higher end model or go have the seat reformed by a upholstery shop. I drive a average of 50 miles a day sometimes I drive 100-120 miles one way. A comfortable seat is big on my list.
Every year I go the the Denver auto show. The main reason is it gives me a chance to try out the seats in many cars in one day. I find fewer than 10% of them feel comfortable to me.

So I keep a list of comfortable car seats so when I need to look for my next car I know where to begin.

Old 11-28-2015, 01:31 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
I was disappointed with my '88 Camry sedan, there was no place to set anything down, unless it was in a cup. The center console was occupied by either the shifting lever of the handbrake or both, as I recall, and the dashboard cowl sloped downward so I couldn't even throw a map up there. I don't think there were even side pockets in the door, and the glove compartment barely had room for a glove. I had to keep a plastic washtub on the floor behind the drivers seat and rummage through it by feel.

Otherwise, it was an amazingly nice car in all respects. I slept many nights in the reclined front passenger seat.

Old 11-28-2015, 01:42 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,684,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
You ever bought a new or nearly new car and didn't recognize issues until several months after purchase? A seat that felt comfortable on the short test drive but now begins to cause a pain over longer trips, ergonomic placement of a dashboard control, or options package you paid for and realize you don't use nor needed any of those options?

I bought a nearly new 2003 Malibu in 2004. Though the seat felt comfortable, it began to put pressure on my tailbone that was broken in 1986. It got progressively worse and needed a seat cushion with hole for spine.
You know that old saying, familiarity breeds contempt? It always does for me, without fail. There is always something about a car that irritates me after a while. It has been that way with every car I have ever owned, and I've owned a lot of cars. It has, however, helped me to know exactly what I want in a car, and what I do not. The list grows with each car.

Old 11-28-2015, 05:02 PM

4,480 posts, read 3,849,852 times
YES despite three test drives i have since discovered that the Subaru Outback is way too underpowered, uncomfortable and rudimentary for me.

which is why i am trying to get rid of it ASAP

the problem is i can't find anything better for less than 45k

Old 11-28-2015, 05:05 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Every year I go the the Denver auto show. The main reason is it gives me a chance to try out the seats in many cars in one day. I find fewer than 10% of them feel comfortable to me.

So I keep a list of comfortable car seats so when I need to look for my next car I know where to begin.
What I don't like about cars today. Because everything is a bucket seat and big stupid center console. Not everyone wants a jet cockpit on 4 wheels to drive around. That's why I like my F350 seats. Big fast and comfy. It's not a race car so all the race seat stuff doesn't apply.

Old 11-28-2015, 05:20 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
We had an Accord that had basically no armrest on the doors. The armrest that was there was very narrow and sloped downward. It sounds like a stupid thing but I never knew until I took a road trip in that car how much I missed that armrest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive