Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 10:09 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,374,374 times

Advertisements

This forum has given me some great input on my current car search. I think I have narrowed my list to the following 2016 vehicles: BMW X5, Mercedes GLE (may consider the 2015 M), Porsche Cayenne

Appreciate any additional input from those experienced with these models. I have test driven the vehicles and am now researching options, reviews, road tests, maintenance/warranties, etc. I am leaning toward new 2016 models, but might consider a 2015 (perhaps 2014) CPO vehicle with low mileage.

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 11-28-2015 at 10:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2015, 10:17 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,513,828 times
Cayenne out of those choices gets my vote. The X5 isn't great IMO we looked at them. Looking back I'm glad we didn't get it. I don't care for the MB model at all.

Old 11-28-2015, 10:26 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,147,120 times
They're all huge money pits out of warranty, if that is at all a concern for you. If it's going to be anything other than a short term lease, I'd go for a Lexus LX and would be reasonably sure it will outlast me. Of the above, the Porsche would be the best ownership experience.

Old 11-28-2015, 11:54 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,091,823 times
Of those three, the Cayenne is guaranteed to be the most reliable. The Mercedes would be a distant second, and the BMW would be last.

The Cayenne will offer the best all around package... if you spring for all the options that the other two makes may have as standard.

As far as getting the most for your money in terms of options, the BMW would be best, followed by Mercedes, then Porsche.

For me, I would pick the Cayenne out of those three because I value the driving experience higher than just about any other factor, and reliability is also a prime concern. I've had BMW's and Mercedes before, and for now at least, I've sworn off buying any BMW. I would still consider a Mercedes (I am right now, actually.)

I've never driven the Mercedes GLE or M models but if my previous experiences with owning an SL and my mother's S550 are any indication, it would be a good choice. I have driven the X5 several times and have had several friends who have owned one. The amount of problems they've had over the same period of time that I've had my Cayenne dwarfs the number of problems I've had. It's also not as sporty nor as good looking IMO, so can't recommend the X5.

Old 11-28-2015, 12:01 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,091,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
They're all huge money pits out of warranty
J.D. Power: Lexus ranked most reliable, Buick up to #2

Porsche is tied with Honda for reliability, and Mercedes has made a lot of strides towards being reliable again.

Only BMW is a money pit.

Old 11-28-2015, 12:14 PM

2,774 posts, read 5,161,173 times
Porsche would be my favorite choice, second the Audi Q7 or for better savings the Tuareg (same platform, same company but of course with different options, finishes & tuning).

I drove the Tuareg TDI for hundreds of miles on Autobahn at above 150 MPH and I can tell you that SUV was flawless, amazing response and stability (with decent MPG). Had over well 1,000 miles in about one week on it (combined city and hwy) and I fell in love with that SUV when comparing to my MDX and previous SRX/Expedition/Rendezvous/Rav4.

Old 11-28-2015, 12:38 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,390,804 times
Of the three, I would look at the Cayenne first. If considering an X5, I'd hedge bets and purchase the extended warranty if planning to keep it for a few years. The Mercedes is okay, IMO, and has a well crafted interior, but it's very similar to a Lexus in terms of driving feel and price, but the Lexus has a better track record for reliability, though Mercedes is about average across the board, above average on certain models. I'd look at the GL, personally, since I don't care too much for the GLE, but that's a larger SUV and that's Lexus LX territory, which is a difficult vehicle to beat for a long-term ownership experience.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 11-28-2015, 01:45 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,440,930 times
Check our the new 2016 Volvo XC90. Pretty impressive redesign.

Old 11-28-2015, 05:28 PM

6,543 posts, read 7,124,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Check our the new 2016 Volvo XC90. Pretty impressive redesign.
I saw one the other day, I liked it a lot and can't say I've ever liked a Volvo before. Didn't it win some overall vehicle of the year? If your dealing with the base versions of each of these suv's I'd look at the Volvo first, if looking at the AMG, Turbo, M models, I'd look at Cayenne turbo, then GLE 63 S.

Old 11-28-2015, 07:01 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,448,809 times
Have you considered Range/Land Rovers or Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive