Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 08:50 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,445,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I used to really enjoy driving and had many motorcycles ,sportscars and a plethora of interesting cars,but these days driving has become a chore and something i'd rather not do as driving in todays traffic is to drive with the most rude/ignorant/discourteous drivers who are usually totally distracted with their electronic gizmos or just flat out dont care about any one else on the road.
Maybe i'm just getting old (67) but the days of going for a drive just for the pleasure of driving are over.
Its nuts out there.
I'm tired of driving and I'm 43
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2015, 09:09 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,020,443 times
I'm 55 and still enjoy it .... to the tune of about 35K a year..... I transport rescue pets, mostly dogs, from rural shelters to rescues where they will have a chance at finding a good life.....

I listen to a LOT of NPR.... the dogs seem to find the talk radio more soothing than the alternative rock I would be listening to if I had music on.....

I have downloaded hours and hours and hours of This American Life and can get completely lost in those stories and others on Radio Lab, Snap Judgment, etc. .......

Old 11-29-2015, 09:17 AM

19,010 posts, read 27,557,249 times
Closing on 61 and still enjoy driving. I figured how to not go on freeways on my way to and from work, so it's not that much of hassle. I am driving slow, but I am not getting stuck and can relax and enjoy.
I'd rather not be driving in the dark, but it's voice of one yelling in the desert and I am not going to change what The Masters chose to do to us.
I really like both of my cars - I alternate them daily - and it's rather a pleasant experience.
Also, every time I see someone do things that bother me - I recall when I did same and look at this as simple payback to what i did to others in my "I'm a khool driver" times.
I am also almost at the point that I do not get raged anymore no matter how other drivers behavious may influence me.

Old 11-29-2015, 10:09 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,481,386 times
Since we moved to rural Maine 2 years ago, I rediscovered my love of driving. The roads and highways around here are all but deserted. Once in awhile a big ol' lumber truck comes by...but they are pro drivers and don't cause any concern.

Lots of deer visible along the roads out here. I don't see many moose, although we've had moose tracks in the driveway. Mt Katahdin is visible from many places around here. The scenery is great!

Old 11-29-2015, 10:15 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,673,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I used to really enjoy driving and had many motorcycles ,sportscars and a plethora of interesting cars,but these days driving has become a chore and something i'd rather not do as driving in todays traffic is to drive with the most rude/ignorant/discourteous drivers who are usually totally distracted with their electronic gizmos or just flat out dont care about any one else on the road.
Maybe i'm just getting old (67) but the days of going for a drive just for the pleasure of driving are over.
Its nuts out there.
Driving is a hobby for me. I love it.

But I agree, it can be downright frustrating where the wrong conditions exist. I'd rather jump on the train than deal with bumper to bumper traffic. Out here in the west, there is still a lot of nicely paved open road. And people out here are mostly still civil. Back east, put together potholes, a-holes, and congestion, and it can be a different story.

Old 11-29-2015, 11:03 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,409,691 times
Yup.

I'm waiting for the Google car....

Old 11-29-2015, 01:02 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,949,556 times
I'm not tired of driving; I'm tired of sitting in the horrible gridlock traffic that is a necessary evil of getting from point A to B in Houston. Sometimes it seems that I spend more time parked on the freeway/at stop lights/on the feeder road than actually driving. But that's how it goes. Or doesn't

Old 11-29-2015, 01:07 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,320,160 times
Occasionally...

Sometimes I get tired of the traffic and these airheads who are unaware that everyone else is passing them or push the brakes unnecessarily.

Old 11-29-2015, 02:41 PM

4,537 posts, read 6,794,978 times
Mom tired of commuting. 1 1/2 or so a day in the car is getting old. I don't mind taking a trip somewhere new but I am often too tired from commuting to want to get in the car on the weekends.

Old 11-29-2015, 06:03 PM

806 posts, read 957,889 times
Depends on the car. I used to drive an SUV with a bone jarring ride and horrible gas mileage so hated driving. But now I drive a new economy car that is great on the gas and refined so I enjoy it a lot more. Also where you drive matters.... I'm happy/excited when driving to Vegas but not so much when driving to the dentist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive