Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 02:20 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times

Advertisements

I have satellite in all of my cars, and while not every channel is commercial-free, there are times that I like the radio for news and traffic, especially when connected with a traffic-equipped GPS system. However, I live and drive in major metro areas mostly, so the combination of coverage is good for my needs, even with navigation. If you can replace as one unit, that can be a way to integrate, as I know someone who did that with a Fit as it was a first generation model that did not have a backup camera, so the radio was replaced with a Satellite/Nav unit with backup camera.

When I have rental cars without the satellite radio, either the trial has expired, or it is not enabled, I miss it, even with streaming from my phone, since there are times that I like it, especially in areas where regular radio reception is not the best. The satellite can blank out in places too, as I have noticed in NYC, where parts of a particular block lose the radio, but overall it's pretty reliable.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2015, 03:49 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,678,811 times
I did for Satellite radio but not Bluetooth and GPS. I don't use my phone when driving, I just don't like talking on the phone when driving.

Old 11-29-2015, 04:04 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,974,080 times
I have had vehicles that had a "free" subscription to Sirius. Once the free period ended, I did not pay for it to continue. they say "commercial free", and it is, EXCEPT for their own commercials, which are just as if not more annoying than Target commercials.
Besides, when listening to radio, I like to have local news and local information. If I can't find a good local station, there are CDs to listen to, or cassettes or 8 track tapes (OK, these days I can't listen to 8-tracks, I don't have that player anymore. There are times I wish I did!)
No, I could never see where satellite radio was worth the cost. Not for me, anyway.
Obviously, there are enough people willing to pay for it to keep it in business.

Old 11-29-2015, 04:42 PM

81 posts, read 55,528 times
I have XM in one vehicle, but always on a promotion price. Requires a phone call every six months or so, but I won't pay the advertised regular price when I have been paying less then half.

Old 11-29-2015, 04:46 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,682,890 times
I have an older 4Runner and recently upgraded the audio system. I bought a Kenwood touch screen system and included the Sirius module for an additional fee. The unit also has Apple Car Play. I can listen to my IPod or Iphone via Bluetooth, or, I can also connect the phone to the unit via an USB cable. The phone has GPS, so I an also use that. It all works great. I think the total cost was around $1000.

Old 11-29-2015, 04:49 PM

5,866 posts, read 11,924,669 times
I was one of the early adopters of satellite radio. Loved it! But each car I bought needed a different tuner - couldn't move them from one to another. Then they added some royalty fee that doubled the price. Then one day when I found myself switching from XM to FM because the satellite became repetitive, I decided to give it up. About every 6 months they send me a notice saying the XM is free for 2 weeks. By the end of the two weeks, I'm ready to give it up.

There are so many other options out there now - just make sure you get a radio that allows you to plug in you iPod or phone and you're all set.

Old 11-29-2015, 05:04 PM

17,302 posts, read 22,039,209 times
Sirius has a lifetime subscription offer.....$500 up front, free for life. I did it 11 years ago. $500 = about 38 months of monthly subscription so after the 39th month it was free!

Old 11-29-2015, 05:11 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,248,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Get a stereo with USB input, and load your music and books onto a flash drive. Bluetooth depends on cell service access [INCORRECT: bluetooth is a local network that does not use your cell data] .

We have Sirius in our newest car. The first 6 months was free, after that we have always called to cancel and gotten a deal, up to 50% off the regular price (2 years now). The problem with it is that it needs a direct shot to the satellite, there is no signal or it goes in and out in areas with trees. In our area there are many 100' fir, maple, and cedar trees, so it's almost useless while radio works fine. We only keep Sirius because we do a lot of road trips of 3-14 hours, and on the freeways the reception is fantastic, with many good channels to choose from. I have a friend who can afford sattelite and he quite enjoys paying for it with the discount they give him... roughly $15 for 3 months.
You could alternatively save music to your phone and stream over bluetooth. No need for USB.

the point of streaming music is so you don't listen to the same songs all the time. You would never discover new music to like if you don't hear new stuff once in a while.

Old 11-29-2015, 05:43 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,989,003 times
Just get the new radio that has satellite radio built in.
You later can pay for subscription or not. But you will always have the capability there.

Satellite radio is not just music. There are all sorts of talk stations and some with interesting personalities. From Sean Hannity to Jay Thomas to Pete Dominick to many others. All have a different take on what goes on all around.

If you live in hill and mountain country or just in the middle of nowhere then satellite radio is a godsend.

There are all sorts of promotions for satellite radio. Five months for $25.00. Many others for longer terms. Read up on the tricks to obtain the lowest cost.

Old 11-29-2015, 05:58 PM

10,014 posts, read 15,662,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
My wife just got a 2013 RAV4 that has a 3 month subscription to Siriusxm and so far we both love it. It is cool to listen to radio with no commercials and with multiple channels that we like. That said we will be getting a subscription once her 3 months expires and we may even get a home unit.

I bought a new RAV4 last year with the free trial period to Sirius. The "trial period" never ended and it's been almost 1 1/2 years and I still get free Sirius.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive