Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 02:25 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,389,117 times

Advertisements

I gotta say go with a Toyota Highlander. It's substantially cheaper than an Acura MDX and about 80% as good. It rides very smooth and has a solid powertrain, it will last a long time. Probably the most reliable midsize SUV out there.

Ford Explorer and Jeep Grand Cherokee are also good choices if you can snag a good deal, so is the Chevy Traverse/GMC Acadia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2015, 01:41 PM

284 posts, read 492,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
Check out the Hyundai Santa Fe and the Kia Sorrento. Great 10 year, 100k mile warranty.
And a bit bigger without being huge or using too much gas.

Old 12-14-2015, 08:23 AM

2,343 posts, read 1,739,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksvillemom View Post
give me some recommendations please! I want another SUV. I'd probably be fine with getting another Honda CRV because I love Hondas and the car is way big enough for me. However, my kids are much taller and bigger than I am and they seem cramped in the back and have a hard time getting out with their bulky backpacks, gym bags, instruments, etc. I have to admit I've never owned an American car and prefer Japanese or German - again, probably because I've never driven an American car - so I'd be open to some suggestions. But at the end of the day I might just go back to Honda Don't really want to spend much more than a CRV cost. Don't want anything huge like a Suburban or a minivan.
I had a similar problem, kids growing, and my old 2001 CR-V was getting smaller...

Another solution is to put a Yakima space case on top of a smaller car. The kids threw their backpacks and junk in there. The smaller (narrower!) space cases don't impact fuel economy as much and are a great way to make a smaller car continue to work for you without having to upsize.

Pictures here: http://goo.gl/tJbiix

With a rack and space case on the roof, our family had many road trips in our smaller car before I sold it at 225,000 miles. We nicknamed the space case the 'torpedo' - as in, photon torpedo.

Old 12-14-2015, 08:34 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,754,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
stick with the crv and put the back packs in the trunk. my kids had to get over this mental block also.

Best advice so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive