Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2015, 07:58 PM

5,749 posts, read 10,333,259 times

Advertisements

Thought this was interesting...

Study reveals 9 car models with zero traffic deaths

"Of the nine safest models, six were SUVs -- Kia Sorento, Lexus RX 350, Mercedes-Benz GL, Toyota Highlander and Sequoia and Volvo XC90. The other fatality-free models over the four model years were the Audi A4 four-wheel-drive, Honda Odyssey minivan and Subaru Legacy sedan.

On the other end of the spectrum, the IIHS found that three small car models had death rates of more than 100 per million registered vehicle years. They were the Kia Rio (149), Nissan Versa sedan (130) and Hyundai Accent sedan (120). The Chevrolet Aveo fell just below the 100 mark with 99 fatalities per million vehicle years."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2015, 11:24 PM

42,618 posts, read 86,604,351 times
So the worst of them had one death per 6,700 vehicle years. I like my chances.

Old 12-04-2015, 01:30 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,059,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
So the worst of them had one death per 6,700 vehicle years. I like my chances.
A meaningless statistic, since you probably know if you engage in the kind of risky behaviors that will make you part of that statistic. Yes, innocents are killed by drunk drivers and speeders too, but odds are so much less likely unless you are routinely on the road around midnight-2 am.

Old 12-04-2015, 02:26 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,577 posts, read 57,526,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
A meaningless statistic, ... but odds are so much less likely unless you are routinely on the road around midnight-2 am.
YIKES!!! I am ALWAYS on the road from Midnight to 2AM (Night Shift CDL driver) 40+ yr accident free, though I have seen plenty, it is SO MUCH better recent than 20+ yrs ago. (3.2% drinking age 18,,, border state with military base nearby, guaranteed lots of fatal crashes.)

When I was a kid we ran a fleet of OTR trucks and we had to take them off the highway between 4AM and 6 AM (sleepy drivers). Only killed 3 drivers in many yrs of leasing / running trucks.

I take my chances when I drive home at 4AM in my 1976 VW Rabbit! but... 39 yrs of good luck so far. (Living on borrowed time)

There are a LOT of reasons (including chance) for these reported 'no fatality' vehicles. I wouldn't bet on them. Get a Class 8 truck if you want to survive a crash with a car. (just don't hit another truck or a bridge!).

Old 12-04-2015, 06:46 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,795,636 times
To have a better understanding of those numbers you need to know the total vehicles, how many accidents they were involved in and what types of accidents.

Quote:
To be included, a vehicle must have had at least 100,000 registered vehicle years of exposure during 2009-12, or at least 20 deaths.
If more than 100K units were sold over a 4 year period they would appear on the list. They are using rates for the driver deaths but different sample sizes can be problematic. If you are comparing 100K vehicles sold in one model too another with millions sold in the same time period....

I'm sure the vehicle has something to do with these stats but they also appear to more expensive cars most likely driven by older more mature drivers and that will be another major factor.

Old 12-04-2015, 06:55 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,108,403 times
The numbers don't lie, if we take into account that cheaper models signal younger drivers - and younger drivers are prone to act crazy sometimes.

This was true with GM's ignition recall, age of drivers involved and time of night (I mean day ).

Old 12-04-2015, 09:01 AM

806 posts, read 950,533 times
SUV and minivan are safer in accidents than small subcompacts.... not exactly rocket science.

In car vs. SUV head-on crashes, the study found that the odds of death were 7.6 times higher for the car driver than the SUV driver. In crashes where the car had a better front crash-test rating than the SUV did, the car's driver fared a bit better but was still four and a half times more likely to die than the SUV driver.

SUVs are safer than cars in front crashes, but there is more to the story
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive