Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2015, 02:22 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,321,693 times

Advertisements

My brother's driving a Toyota Corolla he bought used. It now has more than 200,000 miles on it (he has a long commute) and he's never had any repairs that couldn't be done in a day at BrakeMasters.

I'm driving a 1999 Chevy Prizm (essentially the same car) and while I don't have nearly as many miles on it, new struts have been my only serious expense in 15 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2015, 02:29 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,677,613 times
I have gotten 150k to 220K on almost every American made car I have purchased and driven before seeing any major repairs.

The one exception was probably the 84 Thunderbird that required a transmission overhaul at 90K

Old 12-12-2015, 04:10 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,530,502 times
For an American car, only a '67 Camaro, which I still kick myself for selling.

Otherwise...Toyotas. Like a Timex watch, they take a lickin' and keep on tickin'.

Old 12-12-2015, 04:12 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,591,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninersfan82 View Post
Everybody keeps telling me not to buy an American made used car (trucks are a different story, as american trucks tend to be very reliable). It seems like American cars get to about 100k miles and start to have major problems, especially transmission issues. I rarely see used american model cars for sale with 200k miles, also. However, you see alot of Toyota and Honda and other foreign cars with that type of mileage all the time.
If that was true then why do critical emergency services rely on "american" cars? Do you see Toyota or Honda police cars on the road? Do you see Toyota or Honda ambulances on the road? What trucks do most contractors rely on? The big 3 a very small amount use Toyota pickup trucks.

Even the big tractor trailers are made in america. Why doesn't toyota or honda tap into the big rig market? because they can't build truck engines that are reliable and will go a million or more miles.

Honda and toyota stick to what they know best lawnmowers and econoboxes.

Old 12-12-2015, 04:45 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,134,615 times
I never had a Detroit 3 vehicle that I could stand to keep for 100,000 miles. Too many niggling problems with all of them. The worst of the bunch was my FINAL Detroit vehicle, a 1990 Plymouth Acclaim LX that literally caused problems from the day I drove it off the showroom floor, until I unloaded it five years later.

I have had my 1993 Nissan Pickup (American Made) for 22+ years. It has needed only a starter, radio, and windshield washer motor besides normal wear items (brakes, shocks, tires and batteries) in the time I've owned it. I have never even had to add freon to the much used air conditioner!

My 2005 Toyota Corolla (American Made) has had NO problems. It has only needed 2 sets of tires and two batteries in the ten years I've owned it.

I have owned Japanese built cars, and they were great, too.

Old 12-12-2015, 04:58 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
As someone that currently owns a ford, chevy and toyota.....anyone that thinks that vehicle quality is still the same that it was back 25 years ago should think long and hard about it while watching their favorite movie on VHS.

Seriously, look around at various quality reviews and reports.

The gap has closed considerably and the "quality premium" on some vehicles is no longer warranted imo.

Old 12-12-2015, 05:04 PM

639 posts, read 579,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
If that was true then why do critical emergency services rely on "american" cars? Do you see Toyota or Honda police cars on the road? Do you see Toyota or Honda ambulances on the road? What trucks do most contractors rely on? The big 3 a very small amount use Toyota pickup trucks.

Even the big tractor trailers are made in america. Why doesn't toyota or honda tap into the big rig market? because they can't build truck engines that are reliable and will go a million or more miles.

Honda and toyota stick to what they know best lawnmowers and econoboxes.
you think cops use American cars because there built better? I think its a little more involved than that. America definitely makes the best big rig engines, that just shows they could make cars much better as well, but the dedication to quality hasn't been there for a long time now. when I owned a landscaping business I went back & fourth with the big 3, when I finally got fed up and turned to Toyota I saved many thousands of dollars a year. If they had more models and different specs to choose from they would also dominate that market.

Old 12-12-2015, 05:23 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,591,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeaster View Post
you think cops use American cars because there built better? I think its a little more involved than that. America definitely makes the best big rig engines, that just shows they could make cars much better as well, but the dedication to quality hasn't been there for a long time now. when I owned a landscaping business I went back & fourth with the big 3, when I finally got fed up and turned to Toyota I saved many thousands of dollars a year. If they had more models and different specs to choose from they would also dominate that market.
Well if foreign cars are better why haven't they ever been used in these services? Surely tax payers would want better reliable vehicles to cut expenses on repairing the fleet.

And it's funny i was going to say the only contractors who really buy toyota pickups are landscapers. Landscapers don't usually haul heavy loads and work in rough construction sites. For the most part they haul employees and tow a box trailer with lawn equipment in it. So a Toyota tundra or whatever can handle the light to medium duty work.

Now construction companies are hauling lumber, bricks, concrete, towing heavy equipment etc. and driving in harsh contruction sites. So they usually go with gmc, chevy ford and dodge.

Old 12-12-2015, 05:29 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
There's a Chevy Blazer sitting in my driveway right now with over 320,000 miles on it. It's had routine maintenance (at a quality level), a new ignition lock, and a new driver's side seat. There was some little inexpensive gizmo in the transfer case for the 4WD that had to be replaced last spring. It cost about $200 for a transmission shop to do it. The car hadn't stopped running, but it was making a noise, so it got fixed.

The Blazer has a big engine and it will go like scalded cat. I miss the big Detroit powerhouse engines.

I usually put about 270,000 miles on a car, but they have all been American made pickup trucks which OP seems to think are better built (as do I).

One point, though, is that the cars with 250,000 miles on them weren't made this year. Everything gets flimsier and thinner. The new computerized everything are probably going to end up causing a lot of repair problems due to computer glitches.
I do wonder how the CVTs are going to hold up.

Old 12-12-2015, 05:48 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
97 Mercury Villager...at 207K a valve went finally.
Bought another one at 50K...it was like new to me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive