Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 06:43 PM

892 posts, read 1,498,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
You can not look at head room only. To be comfortable, driver has to have plenty of head room>shoulder room>elbow room>knee room>leg room. All those are different parameters and very subjective. Also, it depends on how long a trip driver does in one run.
This, lol.

My two main vehicles are a 2005 Dodge Ram quad cab and 2002 Suzuki Vitara 4 door. The Suzuki is a great around town car, but about an hour of seat time is my limit before I need a break....leg room is fine, but everything else feels cramped. The Dodge on the other hand? I've done 24 hour drives in it without a problem. Though the absolute best road trip car, comfort wise, I've ever had was a Volvo 850 wagon. Not nearly as much interior room as the Dodge, but everything just seemed to fit perfectly to me.

Dad thinks his '99 Corvette is the perfect road trip car, and I can't stand to be in the thing for more than a couple of hours..yet I drove my '96 Camaro across the country without issue and he was the one that couldn't stand to be in that car for more than an hour.

So yes, it really is all subjective
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2015, 06:54 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-23 View Post
Greetings all.

I am looking to buy a compact SUV, along the lines of a RAV4, Escape, CRV, etc. Before I waste my time getting into sardine cans for a test drive, I'm wondering if some of you taller guys (I'm 6'2") can advise me which of these models would give me a sufficient amount of leg room.

I recently drove an Explorer as a rental and it gave me plenty of room, but I don't really need anything that size.

Thanks.
My brother is 6'1" and is thinking about a Honda CRV. Not sure if he has actually driven on, though. But he looked at one, and didn't notice anything about the interior size that would be a problem for him. He has wide shoulders and is a big boned man, too. He used to look all cramped in my Subaru Forester. Foresters have a smaller shoulder width than comparable suvs.

BTW, Consumer Reports online gives stats for vehicle (or used to). Important stats that tell you how big a person will fit are:

leg room - front driver
leg room - front passenger
shoulder width - driver
shoulder width - passenger
head room - front

When you compare several comp cars, you can see which ones have a larger interior. Oddly enough, that is not the same as having the same exterior width. Some are just designed in such a way as to have more interior room (I think Hondas are).

Old 12-11-2015, 07:38 PM

17,300 posts, read 12,228,591 times
The interior dimensions can be misleading though. If you look at my pics on previous page both are within a fraction of an inch of each other on the official measurement. But the Forte5 has tons of spare room while my knee is right up against the console of the RAV4.

Old 12-11-2015, 07:51 PM

781 posts, read 743,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Yeah for starters a great thing to do is to go to a car show and just sit in a whole bunch of cars back to back.
Great idea!

I would also take a look at the Subaru Forester.

Old 12-11-2015, 08:05 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,537,796 times
Quote:
As they say picture is worth a thousand words. Headroom is a non-issue in both.

Rav4:

Forte5:
Knee room is my issue as well. Most comfortable car I ever owned was a 1999 Ford Taurus with no center console. OP, try a full size pickup truck or bare bones GM SUV without a center console.

Old 12-11-2015, 09:07 PM

1,962 posts, read 2,707,067 times
Quote:
I find the opposite. I'm 6'7 and a Mini Cooper, GTI, and other small hatches/sporty compact coupes are the cars that fits me best, yet I struggle with a 4Runner and other large vehicles. Bigger cars tend to give more priority to back seats than driver leg room.
I drive a new Ford Taurus for work and the driver leg room is horrible for a car that size. My son has a Toyota Matrix and we can easily fit four six footers in it.

Old 12-11-2015, 09:28 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYinCA2014 View Post
Great idea!

I would also take a look at the Subaru Forester.
My wife could not stand the 2009 Forester's seats for more than 30 minutes. I ended trading it for a 2010 Rav4 V6, and she loves it.

Old 12-11-2015, 09:39 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,822,779 times
Subaru Forester without a sunroof.

Old 12-12-2015, 05:20 AM

7,179 posts, read 9,306,900 times
When I bought the 2014 Escape I spent many hours evaluating the competitive vehicles. It finally got down to seat comfort and ergonomics.

My daughter bought a 2014 Subaru Forester; that works for her but the seats in that car were intolerably uncomfortable for me.

If you read all the forums for all the competitive vehicles you will find people who either love or hate the seat comfort in any car.

So you need to try them out for yourself.

Each butt is unique.

Old 12-12-2015, 07:04 AM

1,209 posts, read 1,424,560 times
Not only butt, but legs and torso. Wife is 5'10" and I am 6'1". We have a new Mazda CX-5 GT. Her torso is longer than mine, but my legs are longer - meaning that she has slightly less headroom than me. I wish the power seat would go back another inch or two. It slides forward to about 3 inches of the steering wheel....

My car is a Ford Edge, which is the step up from the Escape and I find it very comfortable.

Also depends on what your budget is and why you want a compact SUV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive