Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 07:25 AM

3,377 posts, read 9,203,461 times

Advertisements

Mandatory dash camera?

At least the defeat device would be cheap. One small piece of electrical tape
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2015, 08:44 AM

16,543 posts, read 8,584,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City-duck View Post
Forecast straight from City-duck: I believe the States will pass a law requiring black boxes mounted in every vehicle on the road. How soon? I don't know.

For those that don't know about black boxes: it's simply a camera (or multiple) normally mounted behind the front windshield of your car.

The purpose of a black box is to record, at all times, your driving activity. It's benefits are to provide comprehensive coverage of driving activity in the event an accident occurs. The ramifications means more concrete data for insurance claims, lowering investigation and other costs immensely.

If a whole nation implements black boxes in each and every car on the road, it would be very easy to find out who was at fault for anything, whether it be the common fender bender or a pedestrian hit-and-run. This is primarily because they would all uplink to a main database that insurance companies would be able to access.

I'd like to know what Americans think of this idea. South Korea already implements this, and the results are staggering. Black box footage is so popular it has its own segments on tv in the county.

Me personally, I think they do more good than harm. I just have qualms about why they need to record audio, too...
Another Trojan horse that can be easily used for reasons other than what it is sold as.
Some cultures do not worry about Big Brother, so they couldn't care less about being monitored 24/7/365. Our country is headed down that path, but there are a decent amount of us who resist being treated like sheep.

You listed what you perceive to be it's attributes, but failed to list the potential negatives. You just list a general concern about why audio would need to be included. [Hint] There are many privacy issues that I can think of, with audio recordings being just one of them.
Lets see what you come up with?

As an FYI, there has been black boxes in some cars going back at least a decade. It's primary purpose was to collect data such as speed, braking, etc. in the event of an accident. They do not have GPS, nor any camera/audio capability.
Those of us who were aware of it had them disabled, because there was no government mandate they be used.
Even if there was, I'd likely have disabled mine because as a free man in a free country, I do not need the government being a nanny over my life.

`

Old 12-13-2015, 09:11 AM
46H

1,650 posts, read 1,398,714 times
1. No thanks
2. Who pays for these sytems -camera(s), uploading, data storage, monitoring? ME
3. Will insurance companies lower rates? NO
4. Will my data be taken for accidents that do not involve me? YES
4. Will this data be used for other purposes besides accidents? YES
5. What is next? More monitoring? maybe add a mic too see what I was talking about? a camera on the driver and the passengers?

Why would I want to pay more money to make insurance companies more money?

Old 12-13-2015, 09:30 AM

5,671 posts, read 5,868,959 times
Isnt there this new company out now selling the improved tin foil hats!

Old 12-13-2015, 12:59 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,694,042 times
Many vehicles have a chip that records car speed when the air bags inflate. This started years ago.

Old 12-13-2015, 05:45 PM

19,012 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City-duck View Post
Thanks for the informative responses.

IMO, the issue that first comes to mind with EDR and OBDIII is it does nothing to record data on hit and runs.

Let's say you're in a busy intersection and you failed to completely stop before making a right turn and end up hitting a pedestrian on their bike. Your airbags don't go off so there's no indication that you were in a collision. There would also be no evidence in a scenario that the pedestrian was possibly conducting an insurance scheme by purposely placing themselves in front of you.

What good does EDR (NON V-EDR) or OBDIII do these situations? Wouldn't cameras in every car's dash be more helpful in knowing the exact details of this accident?

And wouldn't dash cams be easier to implement in older vehicles rather than retrofitting OBDIII into them (if that is even possible?)
Oh c'mon. Simply install a dash cam. Dual camera if you want to, like I have.

Old 12-31-2015, 02:11 AM

131 posts, read 220,790 times
How much data can or would be stored? Just the previous seconds prior to an accident or will it have all vehicle activity for years prior? Because even if you weren't shown to be at fault in a particular accident but shows you have a long term pattern of driving ?recklessly? then it could be a problem for the driver.

Old 12-31-2015, 02:26 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
A good read on the nuts and bolts of event data recording=
Automobile Crash Event Data Recorder Downloading

Old 12-31-2015, 03:56 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,586,616 times
This country has so many laws already it's mind boggling. Soon it will get to a point where we will have to call the police to check in every day and ask what we are allowed to do that day.

Old 12-31-2015, 03:59 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times
The OBDII is mandated by the federal government.

OBDIII is only in the planning stages. The stated purpose is to make sure vehicles that will fail an emissions test will get fixed.

With technology changing so rapidly these "black boxes" will become mandatory. Same as the airplanes.
Of course civil libertarians will be against all of this.
But national security will trump all of this.
No one or few will vote against national security.

The story will go something like - we have to catch the terrorists driving in vehicles. The law enforcement agencies will need to power to find a vehicle and to shut down a vehicle. For national security.

Will be interesting which way the Republican and Democrats - House of Representatives - vote on this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive