Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 08:15 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,081,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I hate to say this but if you can't do your own oil changes , and many can't, you take your car to the mechanic or shop that does your repairs. Either a trusted shop or the dealer who wants to keep you as a customer.

Trying to save 10-20 $ is what got the OP in trouble in the first place.

BTW I don't consider any discount places including Walmart as the place for an oil change.
I still do my own but it is a pain crawling under a car at 72.
That's really the most amazing thing about all of this. Saving $10-20 over a single oil change really doesn't mean much these days with so many cars being able to go 5,000-7,500 and even 10,000 miles between oil changes. That comes out to maybe 3 oil changes a year. So saving $30-60 for a whole year, that comes out to $2.50-$5.00/month!, is worth it to go through the aggravation of dealing with the quick lube places?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2015, 04:47 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,032,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline View Post
"$49 deal to get a full synthetic oil change "
....there's your sign.

Jiffly Lube synthetic costs more than Firestone or Pep Boys or any of those places, so it's only the convenience not the price that is an advantage.

Old 12-19-2015, 05:08 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,161,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
As for dealers, the local Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep dealer service manager refused to use a torque wrench when rotating tires on my Jeep Rubicon, claiming the "torque-stick" on an impact wrench was accurate enough. I guess he wasn't smart enough to realize that when the customer says "Use a torque wrench!", he means it! That shop never did another tire rotation on my vehicle.
It's sad that a service manager is either ignorant of the proper technique, or trying to take shortcuts in order to rush work through the shop.

1. Start each lug nut by hand to avoid cross-threading.
2. Seat the lugs using a torque stick that is rated for LESS torque than spec (for example, use an 85 lb torque stick if the spec is 95 lbs). Tap the trigger, then release and let the impact turn freely as the lug nears the bottom of the threads.
3. Tighten to spec with a torque wrench.

Old 12-20-2015, 09:19 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,228,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
But you ever wonder if it's worth taking to a place where you have to watch them "like a hawk?"

If places aren't even competent enough to do a minimum skill job, then I really don't know what our society has come to.
I watch ALL repair shops like a hawk. Unfortunately, everyone doesn't have the expertise or place to work on cars. As it relates to oil changes, not a big deal except when you have to get rid of the used oil....

For $45-$55 and doing it twice *****, I'm fine with it. Still watch them though and check the level afterwards. Today's garage worker (younger in particular) is frightening. Poor work ethics, skills, and willingness to learn is frightening. Theynaboutnas much as you or I do watching one clip on YouTube......stripped screws/bolts, parts missing, incomplete work, shoddy work.....sad.

I worked at a firestone store in high school and we royinely pulled all tires, checked the exhaust, brakes, all fluids not only to sell but to offer a safety check, for free. And at age 17 I could do it all with no supervision and accurately and competently every time. It truly built business but, that was then and this isnow....I'm scared watching them change the oil.....sad.

Old 12-21-2015, 05:23 AM

4,323 posts, read 7,232,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Unfortunately, everyone doesn't have the expertise or place to work on cars.
Even if someone has the ability to do their own oil changes, they may not have a "place" to do it.

For example, most any apartment complex in my area is going to have a clause in the lease, that prohibits vehicle servicing on the premises. Same thing might apply to a residential neighborhood of single-family homes, if there is an HOA. You would have to be able to do your servicing inside an enclosed garage, in that situation.

Old 12-22-2015, 07:03 AM

774 posts, read 2,381,707 times
Okay...Okay...it's time for Confession:

"Bless me father for I have sinned... I overtightened the drain plug on my wife's Miata last time I changed the oil, now I'm having trouble getting it out while laying on my back in the garage".

Fortunately I have a nice German made Oil Extractor which saved my butt for now.

Can't blame "Quicky Lube" for this one

Old 12-22-2015, 07:31 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,733,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey2 View Post
Okay...Okay...it's time for Confession:

"Bless me father for I have sinned... I overtightened the drain plug on my wife's Miata last time I changed the oil, now I'm having trouble getting it out while laying on my back in the garage".

Fortunately I have a nice German made Oil Extractor which saved my butt for now.

Can't blame "Quicky Lube" for this one
Another candidate for Fumoto Quik Valve

Old 12-23-2015, 04:53 AM

774 posts, read 2,381,707 times
Yeah, thanks, I'm going to check out options like Fumoto Quik Valve.

Has anyone used any of these??

There are several types on the market... some are quite a bit cheaper than Fumoto.

Really looks like it would make oil changing a lot easier for the novice.

Thanks again,

Mikey

Old 12-23-2015, 06:21 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:

There are several types on the market... some are quite a bit cheaper than Fumoto.

Thanks again,

Mikey
if you decide to use that type of valve, dont cheap out. get the best, remember your engine is at stake here.

Old 12-23-2015, 07:52 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,733,097 times
Quote:

Thanks again,

Mikey
Not sure of any others on the market. I just use Fumoto and have no regrets. You will notice it is pretty heavy for its size. It feels sturdy when you handle it. I have never had any issues.

And it isn't just for the novice but for anyone who wants to save time and possibly headaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive