Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 12:14 PM

664 posts, read 2,093,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_reino View Post
No. If they were, the warranty companies would not make a profit.
Show me a business that isn't in it to make money.... hard to stay in business without it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2016, 12:41 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,795,207 times
When we had our Odyssey, we paid for the extended warranty to extend it to 100K. It was so very much worth it. In just 2 visits it paid for itself. First time it was for the main TPMS sensor that was in the headliner and for a 2nd power steering pump. My new vehicle if we decide we want to keep it, we will add it.

Old 01-14-2016, 12:52 PM

664 posts, read 2,093,121 times
Not all aftermarket "warranties" (Service Contracts) are bad. Stay away from the fly by night companies that are generally the ones who bring about all the complaints and scam reports. They have been known to tell you one thing, give you another and then when things start getting hot they take your money and run only to appear again in a couple months under a new name. Look for a service contract administrated or backed by a major insurance company.

If you are comfortable going the aftermarket route, don't go through the dealer as they can mark up the contract considerably. Typically double or more than what they paid. Go through a Credit Union or Insurance agent as their commission is set and minimal compared to what the dealer rakes in.

READ READ READ your contract. Don't go by what any salesman or loan officer tells you. READ it. Avoid any contract that states wear items are excluded as that is a vague term open to interpretation. If you qualify for the all inclusive coverage go with it as it covers everything except what is listed as excluded.

Make sure the contract allows you to take the vehicle to any repair facility of your choice and that they pay the repair facility with a credit card.

The contract should allow at least the first 60 days as a "free look" period that if you decide you don't want it you can cancel and get a full refund (unless you have filed a claim within that time period). After the first 60 days you should still be able to cancel and get a prorated refund. See if the contract deducts claims from your refund... hopefully they should not.

Old 01-14-2016, 01:22 PM

17,567 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Over the years I have declined close to $20,000 worth of vehicle extended warranties. My total unanticipated expenses during that time...about $300. Waste of money? I think so.
At an average of $1000, that would be 20 new cars. Assuming you're 80.. That would be 20 new cars over 60 years, averaging keeping them for three years.

No **** you didn't have many repairs.

Old 01-14-2016, 07:26 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
At an average of $1000, that would be 20 new cars. Assuming you're 80.. That would be 20 new cars over 60 years, averaging keeping them for three years.

No **** you didn't have many repairs.

Extended warranties sold at the dealership these days are way more than that. For my 2015 Hyundai it was about $2500. For my 2015 Jeep it was even more than that. A $1000 warranty might have been had in the 80's, but not today. I've had 12 new vehicles since 1980 and my wife has had three in the ten years we've been married. Count hers and it's over $20,000. Several were high mileage, another one was 11 years old and one was 14 years old. The latter two were GM pickups and account for pretty much all the money I've put out for repairs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive