Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 05:13 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times

Advertisements

My sister had a '95 Saturn SL1, it was a good little car but man was it sloooow. I think it had only 85hp, and you could tell it, I'd surely never try to pass someone in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2015, 02:32 PM

439 posts, read 516,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
My sister had a '95 Saturn SL1, it was a good little car but man was it sloooow. I think it had only 85hp, and you could tell it, I'd surely never try to pass someone in it.
OH, that might explain why I am the slowest car on the road...Lol.

Old 12-25-2015, 02:35 PM

439 posts, read 516,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
One of the two biggest automotive regrets I have is not disregarding my ex-wife's objections and paying to have my mom's 1994 Saturn SL1 shipped up here to Alaska.

That vehicle had close to 350,000 miles on the odometer when she sold it for $600 in 2011.

I put about 300,000 miles on it driving up and down I-95 between Philly and DC, with occasional trips down to southeast GA and up to the VT/Canada border.

It still ran like a relatively new vehicle because I followed the recommended maintenance schedule and the only reason she sold it is because she did not need three vehicles, so it was very rarely ever being driven and was just taking up space.

Boy, I miss that car.

That was one of the best (if not the best model) that Saturn ever made, but I digress.

In my opinion, the most similar vehicle (in some respects) to an SL1 is the base model Subaru Legacy because:

1) It's relatively compact,

2) It's fuel efficient (especially for an AWD vehicle), but

3) No carmaker makes a vehicle with dent-resistant panels anymore, so this attribute is a wash.
Yes, I have heard the SL1 was the best one Saturn made?? Later models had issues? (that is what I have heard)

I decide I will probably keep it, since it is still running, after I test drove practically everything, lol.

I have some frustration with the modern interiors = so cheap looking. My '99 bare bones Saturn looks better on the inside than some of the new models, particularly the new Civics. Ugh.

Old 12-25-2015, 02:57 PM

780 posts, read 2,923,727 times
The current car in production that has "anti dent" body panel is the Corvette. In a way, they both share one similar concept in body-chassis construction.

Old 12-26-2015, 06:10 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by POS VETT View Post
The current car in production that has "anti dent" body panel is the Corvette. In a way, they both share one similar concept in body-chassis construction.
I don't think it's the same material in them, however. Unless it's changed, Corvette was always fiberglas. The Saturn is something different.

My wife has a '97 SC2 that she bought when it was a year old. She noticed that it had a "scratch" on the rear quarter panel when she bought it, but it seemed to be a minor scratch and she didn't think too much about it. Turns out the panel was cracked, apparently from being in a fender-bender before she got it. I took it to my favorite body shop for an estimate. (I think I believed it was a scratch at that point.) I can't recall the exact quote, but it was in the $1000+ range iirc. He said the panel would have to be replaced, or at least removed to be repaired.

Sometimes "anti-dent" materials aren't that great. It's got no door dings, but that "scratch" is a bugger.

Old 12-27-2015, 05:56 AM

8,408 posts, read 7,402,622 times
There is one vehicle sold in North America that uses plastic body panels - the Smart ForTwo.

The orange body sections are plastic.

$14K-$18K base price range, 34/39 mpg, but only a 200 mile range on a tank of gas, no rear seat, less than smooth engine, jittery ride due to short wheel-base, unknown reliability as the 2016 is a redesign. Probably not the car to take on a long trip, more suited to city/commuter driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive