Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 12:05 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,737,417 times

Advertisements

Yep. I'd much rather get paid mileage, buy something fuel efficient (like an S5) and use the difference to pay off the car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 01:43 PM

1,333 posts, read 883,344 times
Lexus is miles ahead of everyone else in reliability.

That being said, I third the CR-V. They're very comfortable, rather fuel efficient (though a semi is fuel efficient when an RX-8 is your daily driver), and smooth. The interior is a selling point for me, and Honda and Mazda seem to never disappoint.

Old 12-22-2015, 02:50 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,838,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
Absolutely right. Unless we are talking Land Cruiser to LX570, the Lexus is definitely built to a different standard and usually on different platforms (at least in the US).
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
This is not correct. Not only is Lexus built in a different manner and to different tolerance, the Lexus will have much better resale value, and as I pointed out, a CPO Lexus comes with a factory-backed 100,000 mile warranty that is excellent, and is part of the CPO program.
Do some research. The ES line, for instance, was a camry with Lexus trim. The ES line is now based off the Avalon. You don't really believe they slow the line down and hand build a Lexus do you?

The Kentucky plant now builds all 3 of those lines: Georgetown Toyota plant debuts new Lexus line with 3,000 employees, Kentucky officials | Lexington Herald-Leader

You guys are eating up the PR and marketing they do to make you feel like a Lexus is worth 30% more than it's Toyota branded counterpart.

Old 12-22-2015, 02:53 PM

806 posts, read 958,537 times
We own both Lexus and Toyota..... HUGE difference between the two.

Old 12-23-2015, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
Do some research. The ES line, for instance, was a camry with Lexus trim. The ES line is now based off the Avalon. You don't really believe they slow the line down and hand build a Lexus do you?

The Kentucky plant now builds all 3 of those lines: Georgetown Toyota plant debuts new Lexus line with 3,000 employees, Kentucky officials | Lexington Herald-Leader

You guys are eating up the PR and marketing they do to make you feel like a Lexus is worth 30% more than it's Toyota branded counterpart.
Well, given that I actually worked there I'll help you out.

Lexus RX = Toyota Harrier. Japan built only. People think Highlander. They're wrong.
Lexus LS = Toyota Crown - Japan built only
Lexus GS = Lexus only - Japan built only
Lexus ES = Shared platform with Avalon. Global build. Lexus volume leader. Much different interior materials, engineering spec than US market Toyota but share platform, engines, transmissions, and drive units.
Lexus IS = Lexus only, although shares platform with Lexus GS and several Japan only models. Japan built only.
Lexus CT = Toyota Prius. Japan built only.
Lexus GX = Toyota 4Runner/Surf. Japan built only.
Lexus LX = Toyota Land Cruiser. Japan built only for US and Middle East market. Some 3rd world production of LC.

Hand build a Lexus? Why would they do that? Then the Lexus line would be on price par with Bentley. Costs of materials plus additional investment in dealership financing, training, etc, drives premium price. Just like every other premium manufacturer.

Last edited by Stonepa; 12-23-2015 at 09:43 AM..

Old 12-23-2015, 09:30 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,986,863 times
"The Toyota Avalon and Lexus ES are most similar under the skin, as they share a platform, transmissions and engines with almost no modification from one model to the other."

LINK

Old 12-23-2015, 10:53 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,110,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post
Some of the respondents apparently did not read the original post. Ride quality for a long commute each day with reliability for three years and luxurious. Fuel economy irrelevant since it is reimbursed under contract. The only suggestions I see so far that meet the criteria are the Lexus and the full size GM SUV's. OP's preference isn't toward the Lexus initially, and it can prove much more costly to maintain/repair if anything does go wrong.

I still say a Tahoe or Yukon is the best fit for all criteria listed.
A 4Runner in Limited trim can be considers "reliable, comfortable, and decently luxurious".

GM wasn't even in OP's list of choices. Nothing in his post requires a full-size truck--which is what those are.

Old 12-24-2015, 02:51 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,972,956 times
I m all for the Lexus. Reliability comfort resale value can't be matched.

Here is your future if you choose to own a Lexus. Peace of mind for the next 100k miles.

although I like the look of the new jeep go, I rode in a 2014, it was very nice, nice interior, rides just Like a truck. I would never buy one.

Old 12-25-2015, 06:24 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,838,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
Well, given that I actually worked there I'll help you out.

Lexus RX = Toyota Harrier. Japan built only. People think Highlander. They're wrong.
Lexus LS = Toyota Crown - Japan built only
Lexus GS = Lexus only - Japan built only
Lexus ES = Shared platform with Avalon. Global build. Lexus volume leader. Much different interior materials, engineering spec than US market Toyota but share platform, engines, transmissions, and drive units.
Lexus IS = Lexus only, although shares platform with Lexus GS and several Japan only models. Japan built only.
Lexus CT = Toyota Prius. Japan built only.
Lexus GX = Toyota 4Runner/Surf. Japan built only.
Lexus LX = Toyota Land Cruiser. Japan built only for US and Middle East market. Some 3rd world production of LC.

Hand build a Lexus? Why would they do that? Then the Lexus line would be on price par with Bentley. Costs of materials plus additional investment in dealership financing, training, etc, drives premium price. Just like every other premium manufacturer.

That is my point exactly.......upgraded interior and gadgets.

People are recommending he buy a lexus as a daily driver to put a ton of miles on and inferring it will be more reliable. All they are is an upgraded Toyota for crying out loud. Most are still built in Japan but production for high volume models is beginning to shift to the US. The Lexus line is like GM's Cadillac line....they put the higher end interior in them and the latest electronic gadgets and technology. Two years later, it is available in the lower cost models.

Anyway, I don't care, toyota doesn't build anything that appeals to me so it isn't like I am going to go buy one. Go pay a premium for an upgraded Toyota, put 200,000 miles on it and lose 30 grand. It is not my money so I don't have any skin in the game. If I did and I could stand to drive them, for a daily long range driver, I would go buy a used camry with about 75k to 100k miles on it for as cheap as I could find and I would drive the wheels off of it until it wouldn't go anymore.

Old 12-25-2015, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
That is my point exactly.......upgraded interior and gadgets.

People are recommending he buy a lexus as a daily driver to put a ton of miles on and inferring it will be more reliable. All they are is an upgraded Toyota for crying out loud. Most are still built in Japan but production for high volume models is beginning to shift to the US. The Lexus line is like GM's Cadillac line....they put the higher end interior in them and the latest electronic gadgets and technology. Two years later, it is available in the lower cost models.

Anyway, I don't care, toyota doesn't build anything that appeals to me so it isn't like I am going to go buy one. Go pay a premium for an upgraded Toyota, put 200,000 miles on it and lose 30 grand. It is not my money so I don't have any skin in the game. If I did and I could stand to drive them, for a daily long range driver, I would go buy a used camry with about 75k to 100k miles on it for as cheap as I could find and I would drive the wheels off of it until it wouldn't go anymore.
Interesting thing. Most car companies demand suppliers find ways to continuously cut costs year over year on a specific part. For most, as long as the part continues to meet the form and function, the manufacturer can do anything they want and, by contract, do not need to tell the car company. That is how you end up with the Tekata airbag issue or the GM ignition switch issue.

Toyota, and to some extent Honda, take a different approach. They continue to improve the part and then work with the OEM supplier to improve efficiency in manufacturing and supply chain so they can cut the cost while continuing the same or better quality. Irregardless of the difference between Toyota and Lexus, that is a huge difference from other manufacturers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive