Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 04:03 PM

25,557 posts, read 17,256,908 times

Advertisements

GAS!
I've got 400,000 miles on a 5.7 liter shortbed GMC 4X4. It accelerates like a scalded ape. Sounds great. It has towed whatever I have asked.

I drove diesel 18 wheelers for 750,000 miles. They have their use; I just don't need one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 07:01 PM

3,377 posts, read 9,203,461 times
Diesels has superior range. It matters if you tow.

Old 12-22-2015, 07:05 PM

50,241 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
Diesels has superior range. It matters if you tow.
Plus, in crashes no kaboom usually. Gassers light pretty easy.

Old 12-22-2015, 07:33 PM

3,700 posts, read 4,844,822 times
IMO, for my style driving I wouldn't even consider a diesel. They are too expensive and the added 5 or so grand just isn't worth it. Now, my offroading is on the beach/cornfields and I intend to tow a center console boat of 22 to 23 ft maximum. I would rather put that 5 grand into more comforts in the truck (or boat) then a motor I'll never need.

Now, if I was going to be getting a "towable" outboard boat in the 30 ft class I would only consider a diesel. But in reality, if I could afford that I would just look for a larger untowable inboard vessel with twin diesels and keep my truck a gasser. As a matter of fact any inboard boat would only be a diesel for me. But neither of these scenarios I have to worry about!

Modern gas engines are more powerful, get better MPG's and last considerably longer then gas motors of the past so again, for me, I just don't see any benefits to the added expense of a diesel in a daily driver that won't be hauling thousands of pounds of weight!

Now, if what you intend is to haul heavy weight, a diesel is definitely the way to go. As far as whats more powerful? You can build up a gas engine to pump out loads of torque and horsepower (look at racing) but as far as reliably and consistently making that power and holding up for hundreds of thousands of miles a diesel can't be beat.

Hows that for flip flopping?

Old 12-23-2015, 06:09 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,659,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
IMO, for my style driving I wouldn't even consider a diesel. They are too expensive and the added 5 or so grand just isn't worth it. Now, my offroading is on the beach/cornfields and I intend to tow a center console boat of 22 to 23 ft maximum. I would rather put that 5 grand into more comforts in the truck (or boat) then a motor I'll never need.

Now, if I was going to be getting a "towable" outboard boat in the 30 ft class I would only consider a diesel. But in reality, if I could afford that I would just look for a larger untowable inboard vessel with twin diesels and keep my truck a gasser. As a matter of fact any inboard boat would only be a diesel for me. But neither of these scenarios I have to worry about!

Modern gas engines are more powerful, get better MPG's and last considerably longer then gas motors of the past so again, for me, I just don't see any benefits to the added expense of a diesel in a daily driver that won't be hauling thousands of pounds of weight!

Now, if what you intend is to haul heavy weight, a diesel is definitely the way to go. As far as whats more powerful? You can build up a gas engine to pump out loads of torque and horsepower (look at racing) but as far as reliably and consistently making that power and holding up for hundreds of thousands of miles a diesel can't be beat.

Hows that for flip flopping?
This is a much better answer than the previous one.

Gassers have their place. Diesels have their place. In the end, it's going to boil down to the individual's needs. If you are severely pushing a gasser to its limits and you can spend the extra few grand on a diesel it's the way to go. If you want a diesel to drive to the grocery store (at least a big diesel truck) you're wasting your money.

The overall maintenance costs on a diesel are not astronomical, nor are they more expensive than a gasser considering that towing with a gas engine is going to put it on the severe duty maintenance schedule and cost more to maintain.

Old 12-23-2015, 10:14 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackandgold51 View Post
Which are better and powerful?

Gas or Diesel
Depends on your needs. A diesel demands a premium price new or used. My truck with a gas engine would sell for about 1/2 of what my diesel demands. A new truck diesel option runs 9,000.

A diesel is great if you need a tow monster. Maintenance IMO is comparable give or take a few hundred. If you're buying a $40-50-70k truck a few hundred won't make a difference. If it does you probably shouldn't be buying it.

A diesel for the most part is more powerful if you're talking strictly torque and towing prowess. Better is a opinion. I have a diesel because I do tow and a gas engine struggles more. Other than that it would make no difference to me.

However what does make a difference is out of warranty work. All diesels cost a lot of money to repair. Pop the hood on a new diesel. As you get newer in model year you're adding more repair money but as you go older it's cheaper. One fuel injector can cost $250 for the injector alone. If you gotta replace them all that can cost almost as much as rebuilding a gas engine. A 6.0 requires about 5k in work to make it reliable. There is no Diesel engine that's perfect never breaks.
DPFs can cost 3500 bucks. Now there are states that don't have smog checks, but just wait. Eventually all will have some smog checks or inspections for tampering with emissions. Cops will know what to look for to start ticketing tampering.

What are you using the car for? A diesel has a higher buy in price and IMO a bit more overall cost in maintenance. Gas trucks don't require 3,000 mile oil changes. And coil packs get replaced when they stop working. If you're replacing working coil packs you're just throwing money away IMO. I've never replaced a coil pack unless it was bad. Same if you're changing oil every 3k. If you're comparing apples to apples diesels are a bit higher in maintenance than a gas counterpart.

Last edited by Electrician4you; 12-23-2015 at 10:22 AM..

Old 12-23-2015, 10:17 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times
I'm 57. In my lifetime we will see the end of gas AND diesel powered cars and trucks for civilian use. Even talking about them on an onine forum is likely to have personal and financial repercussions. So enjoy the window of opportunity to own and brag about your big, powerful, environment destroying, trucks. The window is closing. The smart reader will "care about the VW scandal" and see it for the turning point that it will eventually prove to be.

Old 12-23-2015, 12:11 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,659,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I'm 57. In my lifetime we will see the end of gas AND diesel powered cars and trucks for civilian use. Even talking about them on an onine forum is likely to have personal and financial repercussions. So enjoy the window of opportunity to own and brag about your big, powerful, environment destroying, trucks. The window is closing. The smart reader will "care about the VW scandal" and see it for the turning point that it will eventually prove to be.

I guess when that time comes whoever has a "big, powerful, environment destroying, truck" will deal with the "repercussions" you seem to think are coming.

In the meantime, those of us who need the trucks will continue to drive them and enjoy them. Just out of curiosity, what do you think will replace gas and diesel engines? Electric motors? I'm 34, and would wager that we won't see electric trucks replace what's available now in my lifetime. Could emissions laws become more strict? Sure. But if they do we will do what is necessary to abide by those laws if/when they become mandated.

Old 12-23-2015, 12:53 PM

3,700 posts, read 4,844,822 times
Quote:
I'm 47 and won't see the end of gas and diesel powered cars and trucks in my lifetime. I'm sorry but if that were to happen the country would practically shut down. most of us don't want to sit in little building in a city within walkable distance from everything someone else claims we need.

Posts like these make me want to trade in my smaller gas v8 1/2 ton for a highly lifted ford super duty dually with a big diesel --- just because I can! I also can't wait till fishing season either as then the big twin 12 and 16 cyl diesels burning 140 gallons/hour will start taking us off shore to bother the fishy's!

Gas and diesel ain't goin nowhere so dream on!!! I see them both gettin a lot more efficient and even cleaner then they are now, which is a good thing. In simple terms, the cleaner they burn basically means that more power is being generated with each gallon of fuel giving the motor better efficiency. Modern computer controlled engines are utilizing almost every drop of fuel and that is only going to improve in time. So not only are these motors going to continue to be around for years to come, they'll also make more power and burn cleaner. win, win for all. Even the eco nazis!

Old 12-23-2015, 12:58 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
Quote:
so you're advocating shutting the door on those who use pick-ups in their farming, ranching, and related use?

Are you contributing to this outcome by consuming nothing and using no resources that hasn't originated and was harvested from natural sources?

your city provides everything you need, right?

I can't wait to see the unintended consequences that your vision of how things should work will manifest itself. Those of us who live in the real world of farms/ranches/mining have a different outlook than your cocooned environment where you enjoy the luxury of your ignorance.

Your smarmy outlook that "Even talking about them on an online (sic) forum is likely to have personal and financial repercussions" is incredible. Wait until you want some product for your consumption and we need a couple hundred dollars per pound because the only way to produce the product is handicapped by not having the tools to do the job efficiently and economically. Absent a viable economic replacement for the tools of production and the means for folk to live the lifestyles where they can take place ... you're screwed and you did it to yourself.

Even if you think your computer is going to produce the consumable goods that you require for your existence ... the raw materials have got to come from someplace. Likely those sources are beyond you comprehension now and "in your lifetime", but they don't come from thin air and hope.

As well, noted your attitude about other's 1st and 2nd amendment rights. Won't be an issue for you until you're the next one to be oppressed after all the others get nailed ahead of you. Again, unintended ... but foreseeable consequences. Have a nice day, enjoy it while you can.

Last edited by sunsprit; 12-23-2015 at 01:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive