Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 10:47 PM

4,541 posts, read 1,159,635 times

Advertisements

Buick gets way too much hate, they are also big in the lowrider community, I've seen some amazing looking Buick Regals. I owned a 1987 light blue Regal and absolutely loved it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2016, 06:04 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,718,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
No, that's the problem. The people who are still alive back when Buicks were cool are now geriatrics. If you were 30 in 1970 when the Buick was still sort of cool but not really, you're now 76 and part of the dead and dying demographic that still buys Buicks. Back in the '60s the average Buick buyer wasn't a retiree. They've slowly brought it down over the last few years.
Surely you jest.

We who loved the great Buicks of the 60s and early 70s only laugh and shake our heads in disgust at today's "Buick". We're certainly not buying them. For....there have been no Buicks built since the 1996 Roadmaster. And even that one wasn't really a Buick - more like a Caprice in Buick trim. The last real Buick built was the '87 Regal or the '85 LeSabre, depending on your point of view.

For reference, here is a real Buick....

https://www.google.com/search?q=1965...b9b4Er9xgNI%3D

Old 01-18-2016, 06:10 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,718,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
What the heck is an Avista? Sounds like a name for a hair dryer. Or a fondue pot.
Or a failed and shunned operating system.

Old 01-18-2016, 10:41 AM

3,278 posts, read 5,390,324 times
The garbage GM pumped out under the Buick label from the mid eighties to about 2007 gave them the stagnant reputation they have today. Sure, there were a few good cars like the Grand National and Roadmaster, but let's be real most of the lineup was trash (lesabers, park ave, regal, century, skylark, etc). Those products are the reason many many people swore off American cars and switched to Japanese. Sure, the 3800 was a decent engine, but the cars were of horrible quality. The interiors were the absolute cheapest garbage available, the suspensions were terrible, the cars just didn't feel solid, rather saggy and squishy.

Buick today, despite it's flaws has come a long way. They make at least one very competitive product (Enclave) and the rest of the lineup is in need of some updates, but isn't bad.

Old 01-18-2016, 11:10 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,734,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Or a failed and shunned operating system.
Buick ME

Old 01-18-2016, 12:46 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,309,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
It's Buicks first good looking car!
Buick's first good looking car was many years back. And they haven't made a good looking one for many years.

Old 01-18-2016, 09:47 PM

6,552 posts, read 7,133,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Buick's first good looking car was many years back. And they haven't made a good looking one for many years.
This is Buicks current conundrum....You only like old outdated cars built long ago and I and my generation only like current good looking high powered vehicles. My generation is what to bank on to survive long term, not short term like yours. Buick is banking on me not you with Avista.

Old 01-18-2016, 09:54 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,958,439 times
Quote:
This is Buicks current conundrum....You only like old outdated cars built long ago and I and my generation only like current good looking high powered vehicles. My generation is what to bank on to survive long term, not short term like yours. Buick is banking on me not you with Avista.
Speak for yourself.

I like high powered efficient cars, but I can appreciate the distinction between marques that specialize in this and marques that make cruisers. I'm an older Millenial, but my tune changed when I inherited my Grandma's 86 Coupe DeVille. Initially I felt that it was a granny hauler, but selling it was hard to do. It was such a good car. Such a great Sunday afternoon type highway cruiser.

Other manufacturers are making cruisers, Buick and Cadillac have opted the El Cheapo BMW route instead. Look at what Hyundai is doing with success.

Old 01-18-2016, 10:49 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,309,299 times
Quote:
Good styling is never outdated. Overall, what is considered "good looking" today is more like "hilarious!" Actually, it's kind of sad. Attractive styling gave way to cars shaped like suppositories or a bar of soap.

If you drove something like a 1970 Buick GSX 455 Stage 1, a 1970 Chevy Chevelle SS 454 or a 1969 Dodge Charger 426-Hemi, you would probably like classic cars as much as I do.

Old 01-18-2016, 11:55 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,769,870 times
Buicks have always been pretty good cars. Never flashy, never showy, but a decent semi luxury car that were reliable.

I still see old people driving around in late 90's early 2000's Lesabre and Century's. Something about those cars that are very popular among older folks.

What I can't figure out, and it puzzle me all the time, is why don't we see more Roadmasters and Cadillac Fleetwoods from the 90's more than other models?

Personally, the Big RWD Buicks and Cad's were the best in reliability, performance and overall comfort. I just don't understand why you rarely see them anymore when they were built to last vs the FWD Buicks and Cads where a lot things broke on those cars.

My 94 Cadillac Fleetwood is a perfect example of a car that just won't quit. All the repairs that have been to it all mostly are maintenance items. (Tires, shocks, brakes, fluid changes, etc,)

It's my daily driver, it's huge, and comfortable, and it's a car that you don't see everyday. All my co-workers and friends think I'm "Off" because I drive such a big car, and it being a Cadillac too. But I don't care, we are all different, and in many ways, it's like owning a truck if we're comparing fuel economy and it's size.

One thing about the 90's Fleetwoods is they don't drive like you're floating on a cloud, the suspension isn't marshmallowy either, but rather more on the balanced side. Cadillac was going for more handling during this time, so they used stiffer springs I believe. I plan on replacing the rear coils on my Cad as it is a little stiff, so I am going to install some springs off an 80's Buick with a spring rate of a 135lbs. That is very soft.

And yes, great styling, never goes out of style. The 59 Cadillac will always be a work of art and a car that is loved by everyone for the most part. Cars today are great for getting from A to B and are wonderful to drive everyday, but auto manufacturers aren't building cars to look memorising, and instill a sort of a fantasy in ones mind like the 50's cars did.

You can't compare real chrome, thick heavy duty leather seats, thick glass, heavy feeling switches and knobs, thick door handles and the solidarity of driving a 5,000lb rolling cruiser, to cars of today. There's simply no comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive