Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 10:50 AM

1,333 posts, read 883,544 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone!

I just wanna talk about this great thing that happens that always brightens up my day.

Let me just tell a story really fast to give you the idea.

Quote:
I was driving down the highway in my super fresh brilliant black Mazda RX-8, MT 6-speed when I noticed this guy in another super fresh whitewater pearl RX-8 cruising a few cars ahead of me. This is an exciting moment to see another person driving the same car as you. In your heart you know they're going through all the same fun and struggles you are (give or take a few) and you instantly build this sense of camaraderie.

So we both happened to take the same exit and in my excited stupor, I pulled into the same lane as him and followed him up to a red light. Right when we stopped, this super dope thug looked into his mirror and started pointing at me and giving me thumbs up which I eagerly returned, of course.

There's no doubt my friends think I'm nuts for these outbursts of excitement for seeing another person driving the same car as me. I'm sure it isn't so exciting if you drive an accord, civic, impala, etc. where you can't get out of your driveway without passing a few.

Spoiler

How about you guys?
Any great stories about feeling instant brotherly love for another driver with the same car as you?

I can't be the only one who gets super hyped to see someone else driving the same car...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2015, 11:16 AM

321 posts, read 420,063 times
Guy on a motorcycle stopped next to me at a red light and commented on how he used to race Mustangs in his old GTI. I revved mine up and we had a nice chat.

Old 12-23-2015, 11:17 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,405,190 times
Volvo 240 drivers have been doing that for 30 years. (or at least they used to) With hand on the steering wheel, they just raise their fingers so the other driver can see it.

Motorcycle drivers, especially Harley's almost always do this. A low wave with the left hand.

Old 12-23-2015, 11:18 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,091,578 times
I started an owner's group for cars like mine (E38 7 series), and yeah, I tend to try to talk to other owners, and leave business cards for the group on their cars if I see them in parking lots. My website for them gives locations and sites to get parts at good prices, as well as linking them to other resources for owners of my model.

And of course, our other car is a MINI Cooper and there is a huge community for them as well as things like waving to other MINI owners when you see them on the road.

Old 12-23-2015, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
Volvo 240 drivers have been doing that for 30 years. (or at least they used to) With hand on the steering wheel, they just raise their fingers so the other driver can see it.

Motorcycle drivers, especially Harley's almost always do this. A low wave with the left hand.
I mean the wide eyed excitement. I'll lift my fingers at any random guy, but they're not getting a thumbs up unless they're driving a rotary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
I started an owner's group for cars like mine (E38 7 series), and yeah, I tend to try to talk to other owners, and leave business cards for the group on their cars if I see them in parking lots. My website for them gives locations and sites to get parts at good prices, as well as linking them to other resources for owners of my model.

And of course, our other car is a MINI Cooper and there is a huge community for them as well as things like waving to other MINI owners when you see them on the road.

Wow, I really like that idea.
I wonder if anyone's doing anything like that for RX-8s here o.o

Old 12-23-2015, 11:37 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,097,598 times
I've never really had a car that's in that "sweet spot" between being too commonly seen so it's no big deal, and being too rare/uncommon that you never see another similar car at all.

I've had cars that are "enthusiast" cars that always get people to come up to me and chat while I'm pumping gas, or making a quick run to the store, but the only times I'd ever see another one is if I was at our local Cars and Coffee or something. That doesn't really count IMO.

Old 12-23-2015, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
I've never really had a car that's in that "sweet spot" between being too commonly seen so it's no big deal, and being too rare/uncommon that you never see another similar car at all.

I've had cars that are "enthusiast" cars that always get people to come up to me and chat while I'm pumping gas, or making a quick run to the store, but the only times I'd ever see another one is if I was at our local Cars and Coffee or something. That doesn't really count IMO.
Aw man, get yourself an RX-8.
I see another RX-8 probably once every few weeks and it's always super exciting.

What kinds of enthusiast cars are you talking about?

Old 12-23-2015, 12:01 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,158,682 times
I had a 1969 Plymouth two door all black like in Fast and the Furious. I would pull into parking spots and be surrounded. Every time I parked it notes under window asking to buy it and every light guy next to me would rev engine.

Once I was at a light and a typical corvette owner, middle aged divorced with a young blonde in passenger seat revved engine and said race you to next light. I let him take off, waited a second and took off and beat him to next light. Almost could hear him go limp.

However, good luck stopping that beast.

Old 12-23-2015, 01:12 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,428,879 times
i recently got a Integra GSR, they all look the same from 94 to 2001 and the sold like hotcakes but their all but extinct now. I rarely see one. They were very popular with kids and all have been wrecked, stolen and stripped, The VTEC engines put in Civics.

Old 12-23-2015, 01:53 PM

17,304 posts, read 12,245,675 times
My last car was a 2007 Subaru Legacy GT Spec B. Only 432 of them were made that year. So I didn't go running into any others out on the road. But other Subaru enthusiasts in their WRX/STIs were always hunting me down and wanting to race. Did run into another one of a different year at a Subaru meetup though and that was fun to compare.
Spoiler

The GTI I had which was more common obviously, but still didn't run into very many of the same generation so it was fun running into one. As well as being stalked by Golfs/Jettas.

Speaking of RX-8s though did see something funny recently. A neighbor had one he was selling privately. The buyer was over to take it for a test drive. Owner had pulled it out of the garage and left it in the driveway. So the guy went to start it and it wouldn't...presumably flooded which those are prone to if you move them a short distance. There was some yelling involved but they finally got it started back up and the guy bought it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive