Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2015, 04:20 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times

Advertisements

You could also be driving too fast. There may not be anything wrong with the tires.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2015, 05:07 PM

21,836 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Top quality "low, wide" tires do fine in bad weather. I'm running 245/40-19 summer tires on my car and they work wonderfully in the rain. I switch to 255/40-19 winter tires when the weather turns cold and have zero issues on ice or snow.

I applaud your decision to run winter tires. Too many people don't realize that "all-season" really means "no-season".
Yup. While you can find specific summer tires that do not do well in the rain, generally DOT legal race tires basically, the majority of summer tires perform terrific in the rain, far better than either a winter or worse yet an all-season tire will. All-season tires generally perform terribly in the train. What summer tires don't do is cold. It's mild enough here I've run them year round in the past and just been cognizant that for a few months the mornings are often really too cold to be running summer tires.

Old 12-24-2015, 05:10 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
i never have a problem running all season tires, winter or summer. and i have driven in the winters of pittsburg, and shenandoah national park, and the summers in arizona, as well as the winter in arizona at the grand canyon and flagstaff.

Old 12-24-2015, 05:52 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,157,503 times
Don't forget that your effective traction will also depend on "when" it started raining - in addition to the depth of the water.

When it first starts raining, the oils accumulated on the road surface will not yet have been washed off and the oil mixed in with the rain will make traction much worse.

Old 12-24-2015, 06:38 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times
My wife hit a big puddle at 45 mph and lost it. She went off the road, hit the edge of a ditch and rolled twice ending up on her side. She missed a telephone pole by a few feet. Nothing but bruises but car was totaled. Michelin tires had 3/32 left on them. Bad thing was that I was going to replace them a week later during my Thanksgiving break. Cop gave her a ticket for going too fast for conditions. It had just finished pouring. Cop said good tires would have ended up with same result because of her speed and depth and width of puddle.

Old 12-24-2015, 08:42 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Don't forget that your effective traction will also depend on "when" it started raining - in addition to the depth of the water.

When it first starts raining, the oils accumulated on the road surface will not yet have been washed off and the oil mixed in with the rain will make traction much worse.
This is an excellent point.

I'd never thought about this much, growing up in NE Kansas and Iowa where it rains regularly, but after moving to west Texas I discovered how "greasy" roads get when you mix just a little water with that oil on the road! After a good rain the pavement will again be clean and safe, but that first little sprinkle after a month or more of dry weather can be treacherous.

Old 12-24-2015, 10:22 PM

3,377 posts, read 9,203,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago45 View Post
It was raining and I was in the center lane and was driving under the speed limit, went through a curve and then suddenly hydroplaned and suddenly spun out. The car turned 180 degrees, the front of my car ended up facing traffic as I ended up on the shoulder. Luckily there was nobody behind me...there was a big line of traffic further back. It was a miracle that the car didn't hit the guard rail.

I just recently bought the car and the tires have 35,000 miles on them. I did the Penny test and can see most (but not all) of Lincoln's head. Should I be replacing the tires? Figured I would get 50k out of them but after this I think maybe it would be best to just replace them now. The mechanic who did the PPI didn't recommend changing the tires when I first bought the car. Another mechanic that I know said they should be good for awhile longer. I don't think I was going too fast as I had never done this in decades of driving. I do remember hitting a puddle a month or so ago with the same car. It hydroplaned for a split second but I was able to regain control right away.

I am going to get new tires just to be safe but is it normal for original tires to not last beyond 35k miles?
What are your tire pressures set to? Low pressure makes hydroplaning occur at lower speeds.

Stop messing with Lincoln's head....tread depth is not measured with a penny it is measured with a measuring tool. If you google your tire make and brand you can learn what depth they were new.

http://www.amazon.com/Milton-S448-Tr.../dp/B0002STSQM

https://youtu.be/90mj4Fh5MrU

Old 12-25-2015, 12:09 AM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post

That happens quite often around toward the end of summer when the rain comes in Sacramento, CA. Since it does not rain for long periods of time during the summer, oil that drops on the roads from leaky engines and other components, make the roads very sleek at the turns as soon as it rains. This was the case in the early '80s when I lived there, so i have no idea if it's still the same these days.

Old 12-25-2015, 09:11 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,680,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago45 View Post
It was raining and I was in the center lane and was driving under the speed limit, went through a curve and then suddenly hydroplaned and suddenly spun out. The car turned 180 degrees, the front of my car ended up facing traffic as I ended up on the shoulder. Luckily there was nobody behind me...there was a big line of traffic further back. It was a miracle that the car didn't hit the guard rail.

I just recently bought the car and the tires have 35,000 miles on them. I did the Penny test and can see most (but not all) of Lincoln's head. Should I be replacing the tires? Figured I would get 50k out of them but after this I think maybe it would be best to just replace them now. The mechanic who did the PPI didn't recommend changing the tires when I first bought the car. Another mechanic that I know said they should be good for awhile longer. I don't think I was going too fast as I had never done this in decades of driving. I do remember hitting a puddle a month or so ago with the same car. It hydroplaned for a split second but I was able to regain control right away.

I am going to get new tires just to be safe but is it normal for original tires to not last beyond 35k miles?
One time that happened to my on I-8 in San Diego. I don't think it's necessarily indicative of bad tires. Once you start hydroplaning, the car can go anywhere. Anyway, I was driving in the rain in the middle lane of I-8. Suddenly, and for no apparent reason, my car did a complete 360 and then continued going forward in the same lane. Very weird. There were cars all around me and I could have been killed.

Old 12-25-2015, 12:08 PM

734 posts, read 842,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
You could also be driving too fast. There may not be anything wrong with the tires.

It's a possibility but I don't think I was, it happened so fast I can't remember though.

I've been driving for decades and haven't had any issues with hydroplaning in the rain until buying car a couple months back.

First time it happened was on a 2 lane highway, went through a puddle, but didn't lose control. This time I lost control and spun out.

Tires still have some tread left (I think 4/32 - I can see almost all of Washington's head when inserting a quarter).

It hasn't been icy enough to test in the ice yet but if it's doing this in the rain then it can be worse in the snow/ice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive