Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 07:16 PM

135 posts, read 503,751 times

Advertisements

Oh and even if you just want to have this car for 2 - 5 yrs it doesnt matter buy the honda anyways due to resale value !!! All other cars are junk and poor quality !! Shop carefully and dont be afraid to buy a honda with 100K miles on it ! I bought a 94 Accord on EBAY for $1400, and its now at 230,000 miles, had minor repairs, and I have people offering $2000 for it ! There you go a good example of the quality of honda's and it's known reputation !!! My cousin had an Acura and got 450,000 miles out of it ! Do your research and shop around !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 08:44 PM

266 posts, read 1,234,912 times
How many of you guys actually owned a recent Hyundai and Honda or Toyota? I have. Hyundai is just as good now and cheaper.
When we purchased our 06 Hyundai SonataV6 saved over $5,500 over equally equipped HondaAccord or Toyota Camry. Wait, more since they didn't have Electronic Control system as standard. They wanted $650 more as an option.Honda and Toyota sales guys tried to push us to a 4 cylinder because of the price comparsion. lol
No doubt mostly Toyotas and Hondas are good cars but over priced now . I would get a Honda Civic over the Toyota Corolla.

If I rememmber correctly some Honda Accords had transmission issues few year back and Toyota's also had some slugg problems. Or was it Lexus ES300, well, same company.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:19 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,935,813 times
I think Tuesday's gone - wonder how it all went.

Good Skynyrd title in there anyway...

Old 03-17-2008, 11:37 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soju View Post
How many of you guys actually owned a recent Hyundai and Honda or Toyota? I have. Hyundai is just as good now and cheaper.
When we purchased our 06 Hyundai SonataV6 saved over $5,500 over equally equipped HondaAccord or Toyota Camry. Wait, more since they didn't have Electronic Control system as standard. They wanted $650 more as an option.Honda and Toyota sales guys tried to push us to a 4 cylinder because of the price comparsion. lol
No doubt mostly Toyotas and Hondas are good cars but over priced now . I would get a Honda Civic over the Toyota Corolla.

If I rememmber correctly some Honda Accords had transmission issues few year back and Toyota's also had some slugg problems. Or was it Lexus ES300, well, same company.
I had a friend who had a Hyundai in the late 80s/early 90s. She had around 130K on it and had had no problems. She loved her Hyundai, it was the only new car she could afford.

I have not owned either a Corolla or an Elantra.

The H has a better warranty. If I were commuting 80+ miles/day I'd sure look at the Corolla as its highway mpg is excellent.
Some Toyotas have had engine sludge problems. Some recent Camrys and Avalons had some pretty serious problems with their V6/6-speed trannies recently.

Toyota is suffering from Too Much Success Syndrome, IMO. Their resources are scattered and there has been some decline in quality as a result.

Many folks seem to think Honda and Toyota hang the moon. To me a successful purchase has to do with how well it fits, and its reliability.

Hyundai is hungry and expanding. I think they just sell about 500,000 vehicles a year, while Toyota sells over 400,000 Camrys a year.

A lot has to do with your local dealer's integrity and competence. And how you like the way the cars drive.

BTW, resale isn't everything. If you get the car for 3 grand less and it's worth 2.5 or 3.5 grand less at trade in, and you've put the excess money to work, you are not ahead playing the good-resale game.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:49 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,545,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soju View Post

You may very well be right about Hyundai, but since their track record is so poor and they still have yet to build up a solid record of reliability for the "new" Hyundai, I'll wait and see if these new Hyndais last 250,000 miles relatively problem free.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:36 AM

3,378 posts, read 9,209,035 times
Wow, you are not kidding that is a horrible rate. Did you try searching around for different finance options?

Also, why not by last years model or something that is not new. I think it is hard enough to swallow the instant depreciation. But EVEN harder to swallow the instant depreciation on a car that has low resale value. It makes even less sense.

I would try to seek other financing and find a slightly used car that is already massively depreciated. Do ANYTHING to offset the 12.5 interest rate.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:38 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
Seems y'all jumped in a little late for advice there. Regarding the vehicles, I would go with the Corolla based on the price difference (especially an 09) due to resale. I have owned Toyota's, Honda's and Hyundai's the past 20 years, and agree Hyundai quality has improved significantly, but is still just a bit short of Toyota or Honda. Resale prices may improve for Hyundai, but not in the immediate future.

Now, if looking at a Sonata vs Camry, and a price difference of $4,000 for similar vehicle, I would be fine with Sonata. However, this is a different story than originally discussed.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:21 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,372,565 times
If you need to buy gap insurance, you can't afford either car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive