Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 03:28 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
I despise working on vehicles. But if it breaks I'll figure out how to fix it myself in most cases. Ford quoted me $650 to replace one injector in our old Expedition. A quick trip to the auto part store, $35 and 2 hours later, and the Expedition was back on the road.
In truth, many of my rarely-used tools are from HF as well.

Many years ago in high school, I decided I did not want to be a mechanic. I've always enjoyed working on my own cars and tractors, and anything else mechanical, but I decided years ago that working on the car of a mechanically-challenged customer was not a good way to make a living.

Two days ago my wife called me here at our Texas farm from Albuquerque telling me her "Service Engine Soon" (SES) light was on on her 2004 GM truck. She had had an auto parts store check the codes and it was a P0128. Of course none of the auto stores who will check your DTC codes for free will "reset" them because NM State nanny laws do not allow dealers to erase DTC codes. I suppose they assume you are trying to defeat an emissions check. The same auto store then told my wife she needed a new thermostat at $450 plus taxes.

Since I knew my wife's truck had been due an oll change (the oil change light had come on), I had thought the SES light was probably related to that. She had her oil/filter changed and had reset the "Change Oil" light. The "Change Oil" light went off but the SES light remained on probably since the DTC code had already been set.

Since I had no tools at Albuquerque, I had no choice but to have my wife buy a $40 OBDII code reader/eraser (from HF) and erase the code. I wanted to see if the DTC came back. It did not and it has not.

BTW, the particular truck has been an electrical nightmare since we bought it new in 2004 with two dashboard clusters under warranty and now with several non-working electrical features. It was the last new vehicle I will buy and it has moved GM trucks way down on my list of dependable vehicles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 07:09 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
In truth, many of my rarely-used tools are from HF as well.

Many years ago in high school, I decided I did not want to be a mechanic. I've always enjoyed working on my own cars and tractors, and anything else mechanical, but I decided years ago that working on the car of a mechanically-challenged customer was not a good way to make a living.

Two days ago my wife called me here at our Texas farm from Albuquerque telling me her "Service Engine Soon" (SES) light was on on her 2004 GM truck. She had had an auto parts store check the codes and it was a P0128. Of course none of the auto stores who will check your DTC codes for free will "reset" them because NM State nanny laws do not allow dealers to erase DTC codes. I suppose they assume you are trying to defeat an emissions check. The same auto store then told my wife she needed a new thermostat at $450 plus taxes.

Since I knew my wife's truck had been due an oll change (the oil change light had come on), I had thought the SES light was probably related to that. She had her oil/filter changed and had reset the "Change Oil" light. The "Change Oil" light went off but the SES light remained on probably since the DTC code had already been set.

Since I had no tools at Albuquerque, I had no choice but to have my wife buy a $40 OBDII code reader/eraser (from HF) and erase the code. I wanted to see if the DTC came back. It did not and it has not.

BTW, the particular truck has been an electrical nightmare since we bought it new in 2004 with two dashboard clusters under warranty and now with several non-working electrical features. It was the last new vehicle I will buy and it has moved GM trucks way down on my list of dependable vehicles.
Check engine lights don't come on with oil change lights. They aren't related.

Old 01-06-2016, 09:16 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Check engine lights don't come on with oil change lights. They aren't related.
Whatever the cause, the light is still off.

Old 01-07-2016, 07:28 PM

329 posts, read 627,624 times
Buy 'good' used cars. Not all toyotas are equal. Once I bought 92 LS400 with 'only' 170K miles, turns out headgasket was bad. 2 yrs ago I bought another LS400 with 240K miles on it. I bought it because it was owned by one family and still had factory paint, spent about $1000 in parts and it drives and looks new. My other car is a 93 300zx TT. If I had to take this car to mechanic for all maintenance/upgrades I would be bankrupt. I started with oil changes, then clutches, timing belt/wp, and even body work and electrical work. Last brand new car I bought was in 2011 and never again!

Old 01-08-2016, 09:18 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
Probably 70 to 80 percent of you vehicle's repairs and maintenance, is pretty simple stuff....learn to do it yourself.

Old 01-09-2016, 08:01 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
I keep costs down by driving my cars a long time, and doing my own work on the cars.

Old 02-02-2016, 04:09 AM

43 posts, read 75,535 times
If you follow below mentioned points at regular interval it is certain you keep cost of car ownership affordable:-
Check frequently: Dash board indicator lights, vehicle lights, tire inflation and condition winshield, washer fluid, engine oil level.
Every three months: Automatic transmission fluid, battery and cable belts, air filters, exhaust hoses, power steering fluid.
Every six months: Chasis, lubrication, wipes, blades
Every nine months: Same checklist as every 3 months
Every 12 months: Brakes, Cabin air filter , coolant, steering and suspension and wheel alignment

Old 02-02-2016, 10:46 AM

329 posts, read 627,624 times
Start with a reliable car that can't depreciate anymore and maintenance, maintenance, and more maintenance. I do all of the work myself and buy quality parts at reputable online retailers

Old 02-02-2016, 10:53 AM

899 posts, read 1,014,821 times
Don't register/insure all of them...

Old 02-02-2016, 10:53 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,729,849 times
Only two expensive items on a car: payment and insurance

New cars these days are reliable and the maintenance schedules are really stretched out that you aren't going to break the bank maintaining them.

General fluid intervals are usually:
7.5-10K for oil
100K coolant
100K transmission or for some "lifetime" fluid

Air and cabin air filters 15K-30K (cheap DIY anyways)

Brakes vary but 60K or even 80K isn't unusual

Many cars come with electronic steering so no more power steering fluid to worry about

Spark plugs as low as 30K and as long as 100K

Timing belts 100K or timing chains with no scheduled replacement interval.

So honestly, not much to worry about with new cars
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive