Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 09:14 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,593,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Because of Obama's hatred of cars and freedom he boosted the fuel ecomony requirements way up. In order to meet these new standards car manufactures are going to little tiny motors turbocharged. Many motorcycles have bigger motors.
Turbocharges add a lot of complexety to go give trouble and be expensive to fix later on.
Keep on voting for Democrats.
Here, have a tinfoil hat and a facepalming Picard

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2016, 10:02 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,323,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
Well that's what tends to happen. You go from being a young man to a married one.
that is good point one Reason why I wish I saw more Chevy SS with a 6-speed Manual and Magnetic ride control being sold great compromise car for the family that can be a fun sleeper and that LS3 can easily be tuned for more grunt

Old 01-03-2016, 10:07 AM

3,251 posts, read 2,554,212 times
Quote:
Because of Obama's hatred of cars and freedom he boosted the fuel ecomony requirements way up. In order to meet these new standards car manufactures are going to little tiny motors turbocharged. Many motorcycles have bigger motors.
Turbocharges add a lot of complexety to go give trouble and be expensive to fix later on.
How much more complexity, how much more trouble, and how much more expensive?

Old 01-03-2016, 11:36 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,102,084 times
Quote:

via Imgflip Meme Maker

Old 01-03-2016, 01:22 PM

3,378 posts, read 9,210,139 times
Quote:
What if I told you...nobody is forcing you to buy one?

I drove a 2016 Jetta with a turboed 1.4L. I was beyond impressed with the car and efficiency.

Small displacement engines have been the norm everywhere else in the world for a long time. It is your average uniformed American that had zero tolerance for them....up until now.

Old 01-03-2016, 02:25 PM

998 posts, read 1,237,760 times
Quote:
I used to be a real fan of turbo engines back when they were used primarily as high performance status symbols. 911, Supra, 300ZX, etc. But now they're increasingly used as economy boosters on small bore mills. The status symbol now is a high revving V8 with that crisp N/A throttle response and power that builds smoothly to red line. Turbocharged engines tend to have soggy throttle response and lumpy power bands that run out of steam at the top 1/3 of the tach.

Sure that's why the new 911 Carrera and Carrera S are both turbocharged, as is the new Ferrari 488, which no doubt pulls strongly to its 8000 rpm redline.

Old 01-04-2016, 01:55 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,668,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
I remember one my friends luckily owned a Toyota Supra turbo back in college, and he had a turbo timer installed (which allows the engine to idle for 1-2 minutes after turning it off, allowing you to go ahead and shut the door and go into the house, store, etc.).

More and more cars are putting turbos on 4 cylinders, including the cars I am looking at. Even SUVs and trucks are doing work duty with 4 cylinder turbos rather than 6 or 8 cylinders as I'm used to. Do today's turbo engines need idling for 1 minute after a trip? I don't see anyone install turbo timers anymore.

I'm asking because I need all my cars to make it to 200k miles with minimal concerns.

Short answer? No. Turbo timers are used in applications where turbos and their related systems are pushed to higher limits than what the manufacturer has designed it to operate within. Turbo timers are necessary on systems that are either not designed with a turbo and are pushed to the edge of their operational limits or on systems in which the turbo has been upgraded.

The goal is to allow the turbo to cool down before shutting down so as not to "cook" the turbo and its components. Factory systems do not push the turbo nor the engine past a safe operational level. It is cool enough to shut down as soon as you stop.

Old 01-04-2016, 01:59 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,668,923 times
Quote:
I used to be a real fan of turbo engines back when they were used primarily as high performance status symbols. 911, Supra, 300ZX, etc. But now they're increasingly used as economy boosters on small bore mills. The status symbol now is a high revving V8 with that crisp N/A throttle response and power that builds smoothly to red line. Turbocharged engines tend to have soggy throttle response and lumpy power bands that run out of steam at the top 1/3 of the tach.

Not really.... As long as the turbo is spec'd out properly there will be very minimal (if any) turbo lag. Some vehicles use either a dual or compound turbo setup (like my 6.4 F250). I have a small turbo that gets the truck moving in the lower rpm range and then a larger turbo that takes over once the truck is moving. I can break 40psi in about 4 seconds in the truck. Turbo lag is non-existent in this application. Engines designed with a factory turbo system have very little turbo lag.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:41 AM

329 posts, read 628,163 times
If your turbos are water cooled, which I suspect new cars do have, you don't need turbo timer. I've got 93 300zx TT with turbo timer and I haven't used it for years and it's got 160K miles on it.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:39 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,249,499 times
If your turbo is oil-cooled, then it is highly recommended that you use a synthetic engine oil. I believe that's been the standard advice for at least 15 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive