Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 10:55 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,100,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimbosquee View Post
I used to defend pickup drivers when people would criticize them for their vehicle choice and talk about their ego or their size below the waist.
Ahhh... The old "I can't afford what he has so I'm going to pretend he has a small penis" crowd. Envy can be a harsh mistress, can't she?

Quote:
It's common to see them weaving (sometimes swerving) in and out of lanes without ever signaling. It's funny to see them swerving because it looks like the truck's body is going to be thrown off the frame. I don't see how they enjoy that. I noticed that most of the worst tailgaters I've seen have been in pickups.
You just described the majority of people I see driving imports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 11:52 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,282,316 times
Solution = Drive a car that is worth $1000, show them that you don't give a !@#$ and they'll never bother you

Old 01-05-2016, 11:54 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,764,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Eventually if I am about to miss my turn because some jack-wagon refuses to let the big truck over, I'm coming over regardless. You can choose to slow down, speed up, or sit there. I don't care at that point. Making me miss a turn simply because you have an issue with big trucks isn't going to happen.
I love watching the truck drivers cause an accident and then get sued for this kind of stuff.

No one has an obligation to let you over.

Old 01-05-2016, 12:01 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,850,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGoZoom View Post
I'm amazed that "lift kits" are still even legal! A truck already has a much higher center of gravity than other vehicles, so the chance of a rollover is exponentially greater than a car even in stock form. When you raise it even higher, you're only exacerbating the problem and making the truck harder to control and less stable.

To make matters even worse, trucks are not required to meet the same roof strength standards as cars and SUVs. So in a rollover, the cab in most pickups will flatten as easy as an aluminum can (and kill anyone inside). So it's crazy that the law even allows and perhaps even crazier than the people who drive these trucks would want to do it!

Young males account for at least 95% of these lifted trucks. The combination of testosterone and internal combustion is a recipe for disaster! I remember how much hell I raised in a '91 Honda Civic with a whopping 92 horsepower! I regularly topped 100mph and more than once 'evaded' the police (if I had enough time to get onto a side road, I'd lose them in the curves). Now that I'm 41, I look back and wonder how I ever survived and wonder what the hell was I thinking???
Because lift kits do not make a truck unsafe. Many actually improve the ride/handling of a truck from stock How many wrecks do you see where there is actually a lifted truck involved? Many people need and want larger tires which require a boost in the body and or suspension to make room for them. just because you don't like/need one doesn't mean they should be illegal.

And trucks are safe vehicles, look at the crash test results. I'm not saying that I am less likely to end up upside down in my truck then in my little grocery getter but the odds are that if I wreck either I won't be on my roof as such accidents aren't common, even on heavily lifted 4X's. Personally, however the vehicle ends up after impact, I would rather be in my RAM in a wreck then my econobox.

And around here, age doesn't seem to matter. I'm 47 and am going to give my truck a bit more of a boost to go with larger and wider tires. I don't want to get stuck in a soggy and mudded up corn field while going to get my deer and I like having wide tires to make up for the mud treads so I can float over the sand on the local beaches. And I like the looks.

Most aren't driven aggresively. True, some "kids" will drive there modified trucks more aggressive and be a-holes on the road but the same can be said if you put that kid behind the wheel of anything. Look at the poster I am replying to, talking about his 100MPH stints running from the police in his rice rocket in the past. Young and dumb, doesn't matter the type of vehicle!

Old 01-05-2016, 12:03 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,296,391 times
Let's just call it like it is and be honest for once. Who typically drives pickups: rednecks and meatheads. And they tend to be arrogant, dumb and over-confident...all of the traits typically found in bad drivers. They like to buy a big vehicle because they want to feel bigger than everyone else on the road. No, you don't work on a farm and are not transporting bales of hay with "Like a Rock" playing in the background on the Silverardo commercials. Okay, I get it, those guys need trucks, you don't. This is why a lot of them will even raise their truck to make an already big truck look bigger. But it doesn't stop there. They have to prove their big truck is not big and slow so they will drive like maniacs on top of it. You can sugarcoat it all you want and I'm sure there are exceptions to the rule but I would say the majority of these new truck drivers fit the description above.

Old 01-05-2016, 12:23 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,665,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
I love watching the truck drivers cause an accident and then get sued for this kind of stuff.

No one has an obligation to let you over.

So what you're telling me is... that it's perfectly fine for someone in their Civic to see me turn my blinker on 2 miles before I get to my exit so that I have time to get over and then when I find a hole they rush up to block it off? Yet, folks are complaining that folks who own larger trucks are rude..... then wonder why.

I'm not a truck driver. But my truck is large, and my only point is that if you expect people in bigger vehicles to be courteous you should do the same.

Old 01-05-2016, 12:26 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,665,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Let's just call it like it is and be honest for once. Who typically drives pickups: rednecks and meatheads. And they tend to be arrogant, dumb and over-confident...all of the traits typically found in bad drivers. They like to buy a big vehicle because they want to feel bigger than everyone else on the road. No, you don't work on a farm and are not transporting bales of hay with "Like a Rock" playing in the background on the Silverardo commercials. Okay, I get it, those guys need trucks, you don't. This is why a lot of them will even raise their truck to make an already big truck look bigger. But it doesn't stop there. They have to prove their big truck is not big and slow so they will drive like maniacs on top of it. You can sugarcoat it all you want and I'm sure there are exceptions to the rule but I would say the majority of these new truck drivers fit the description above.

This is one of the most foolish statements I have ever seen someone make. Who drives pickup trucks? People who need them. I had to haul a trailer weighing in at over 4k lbs (trailer and cargo) 4 hours into Northeast Tennessee this past weekend. I can tell you that a Honda wouldn't have made that trip. For some its a necessity. To make an assumption based off an opinion that you made which has no bearing on truth is ridiculous.

If you don't need a truck, GREAT. Drive a car. I don't knock you for that. But you can't assume that no one needs one because you don't "think" they do. Just because you see one pass you on the interstate doesn't mean it didn't come out of a field, or just drop a trailer, or something else. You only see them for a few minutes out of your lifetime. You're not following them around day to day.

Old 01-05-2016, 12:48 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
I find that in our area most of the tailgating is done by cars and SVUs baring out of state tags. Most of our East/West roads are 2 lane (ONE lane in each direction) and there is no way to get over and let them pass.
I can not imagine doing the old brake check thing anymore. If the driver of car following is texting or on the phone it could be fatal.

I was young and dumb. But I stopped brake checking people about 20 years ago. Basically I stopped driving like a idiot. My work requires good driving record too. I did brake check a guy once with my wife in the car and that was the end of it. I drive the speed limit sometimes a bit above by a few miles if traffic is moving. But I'm not gonna get in a peeing contest over something. Im not gonna risk getting a ticket, losing my license, higher insurance, dealing with the accident or wrecking so you can go faster because you are late. If I can get over safely I do as soon as I can. It's just so not worth it to me. I wanna get home to my family. Feel free to turn yourself into a grease spot in the highway, no skin off my back

I've seen doodle in all sorts of vehicles driving like jerks. The car type or brand made no difference

Old 01-05-2016, 12:49 PM

26 posts, read 39,165 times
I do agree that it is the driver and I'm sure these guys would be driving like this no matter what they were in, but I think the size makes some of them behave in even more dangerous ways. I've only had one car driver, who was in a Challenger, nearly hit me to get into my lane. The rest were in large vehicles, mostly pickups. I don't blame the vehicle at all, however. I just think the size gets to the head of a certain type of person. It nearly got to my head when I drove one for a couple days.

If a driver, pickup or not, signals in advance to change lanes, I will slow down to let them in if I'm far enough behind them, otherwise I will speed up to get out of their way. My problem is that so many don't even wait for me to let them in. They just immediately cut in without any real warning, no matter how close I am and I am forced to slam on the brakes. I have even been run partially off the road by a work truck pulling a trailer, then honked back at and tailgated for not giving up my lane.

I also don't agree that everyone who drives one needs one. I have seen too many pristine and empty trucks in the suburbs and cities. That doesn't matter though, because it's their choice to drive whatever they please. Like I said, I used to come to their defense and still say they can drive what they want. I'm just sick of some of them using their size to bully others. The same can be said for large SUVs to a lesser extent. I think once I trade in my X3 for an X5, I won't have to deal with this as much.

Old 01-05-2016, 12:49 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
In metro-Boston, everybody veers to any tiny gap the left lane without using their turn signals. If you leave any kind of a gap, somebody is going to take it. If you don't tailgate, you get someone cutting you off.

My favorite is that if you put your blinker on to move over into a space, the other person speeds up to prevent you from getting in front of them.

You can sit there for 4 miles with the blinker on and not one person will give you enough space to move in. Turn the blinker off, and space magically forms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive