Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 06:44 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,667,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimbosquee View Post
I just mentioned that some BMW drivers drive like arses, didn't I?

If a driver wants in, they can signal and wait for me to let them in or wait for me to pass. Quite a few of them, however, just slide in as soon as they feel like it. I am not doing anything to provoke this. I am simply passing by with the flow of traffic, not tailgating the vehicle in front of me, which is apparently an invitation to slide into the small gap I leave and nearly clip my bumper. Other cars do this too, but more pickups have done it dangerously close. I've seen them drive this way around others as well. It's not like I'm the only one talking about this. Do a search for "pickup truck drivers are the worst" or fill in any insult you would like. You will find numerous results on the subject. The difference is that I don't necessarily hold those opinions. I think some of them know you will be afraid of their vehicle hitting you and will give way to them, so they just do it. If they weren't trying to intimidate, they wouldn't get angry at me for honking or holding my lane.

An X5 is BMW's larger SUV. I plan on getting one for many reasons. I feel with a larger vehicle, there will be a smaller size differential and they may be less likely to act the way they do around smaller vehicles.

The bolded statements are opinions. The reason those of us who drive trucks get mad about this is that you made an assumption based off your particular experiences that you have used to attempt to lump all of us into that category. I don't treat vehicles any differently because of their size difference. It's still a vehicle that I need to pay attention to and can cause the same type of accident (albeit different outcomes for those driving them, but no noticeable difference for me). Trust me when I tell you that the person who cut you off didn't care what you were driving. He (or she) would cut you off if you were in a semi or a Prius.

So I'll say this again. It does not matter what type of vehicle a person drives. A douche is a douche is a douche all day long. I watched a mini cooper blast past me on the ride in to work this morning and whip over in front of me close enough that I couldn't see his roof over my hood. I had to back off and cause traffic behind me to hit their brakes to avoid an accident. Had he been in a big diesel truck or a Prius my feeling is that he would drive the same way. Some people just cannot drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2016, 06:54 AM

Quote:
If I'm not referring to you in particular or talking about every pickup driver, then don't worry about it and just chill. I don't get defensive and angry when people talk about BMW/luxury car drivers as long as they aren't implying that every single one of us is a douche.
But what you have essentially done with this thread is make a stereotype on people who drive large trucks as being un-courteous and dangerous. It's no more true than someone saying all BMW drivers are pricks. Some are, and some aren't. It's not a universal truth on any account.

Quote:
My question about trucks is: is the size of the vehicle what causes some of them to act like road bullies or do some people who don't need them choose them due to their size?
No. The size of the vehicle has no bearing on someone's character. Some choose them due to size. For folks who have back problems or other issues, it's much easier to get in and out of a truck that sits up higher than trying to climb out of a little 2 seater car.

Quote:
I am willing to answer that for luxury vehicles, it is likely the vehicles and their abilities that cause some of their drivers to behave like asshats. I want opinions on why some in large vehicles may behave this way.
What abilities do you speak of? Luxury vehicles have the same abilities as trucks do. My truck will accelerate as quickly as most of the luxury vehicles you speak of (and even faster in some instances), rides quite comfortably, and has most of the same luxury features. The difference is, that mine is truly off-road capable unlike crossovers, I can make a trip to the grocery store AND the hardware store in the same outing, and pull those crossovers out of the mud and tow them home all without breaking a sweat.

Every vehicle has a purpose for someone. It just depends on what that person needs and wants. The vehicles don't make people act stupid. They're going to do that anyhow.

Old 01-08-2016, 07:45 AM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
I've noticed people have a real issue with my truck's height as they can't see over or around it. If I change lanes to avoid stalled traffic at an exit the car behind me will aggressively change lanes even if it's to the right to get back ahead of me. All too often the reason I moved over almost cause them to lane change into stopped traffic. It's stock height except for different tires too. It's just a huge vehicle but not as big as any commercial rig. Which btw people treat the same way.

You'll see that all day long. People use the gap trucks try to leave in front as lane swapping zones. Very dangerous for the car not so much the truck.

Old 01-08-2016, 08:37 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,405,577 times
My 2 cents.

As most everyone has eluded, there's just some people that are bad or aggressive drivers. Trying not to stereotype, but many are younger people that think they're immortal and can therefore drive quite aggressively.

For years and continuing now, many of these young folk drive small cars for ease of maneuverability and fuel economy. When these cars dart in-and-out of traffic, they're not very noticeable. You make a mental note that there's a car to avoid and drive on your merry way.

Can't speak for SoCal but in the last 5-10 years, trucks have become very popular for many, including the younger generation. When you have a full-sized truck zipping in-and-out of traffic, it's a vehicle you pay more attention to as they're a larger threat to safety (compared to a little rice burner).

I live in rural PA. Literally everyone I know by household has at least 1 truck. I haven't seen anyone over about 25 years old drive aggressively.

Old 01-08-2016, 08:45 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
I think big trucks or cars over a certain weight should require a different driver testing. Of course got can do that because it would hurt sales then jobs yada yada. But in effect we are killing more people out there due to not putting better drivers on the road. I drove trucks and rented big SUVs and they are not that easy to drive. They don't handle, brake, or even drive on straight line at high speeds as safely as regular cars. At 75mph I can feel the truck was hitting an air wall and had to muscle against it to go faster.

A lot of car crashes happen because people who drives these trucks don't understand the laws of physics. Just look at the accident last year with Bruce Jenner who was in a surburban towing a sailboat and failed to stop and crashes into another car and inadvertently killed innocent person. We have careless and untrained people in trucks out there.

To allow untrained people to drive these massive hunk of metal is just carelessness of our govt. Comm. trucks require special license.

Old 01-08-2016, 10:07 AM

That makes no sense. If you follow proper driving techniques you can drive a pickup truck as easily as a small car. A driving test covers all the bases and the rules are the same for both. You have to learn how to adapt your driving style to fit the vehicle you are driving. You cannot force people to use common sense. Trying to get the govt to step in is not going to do anything to help the problem.

If you maintain a safe driving distance, check your mirrors, stay aware of your surroundings, etc.... you're as safe driving that truck as any small car on the road. As you become comfortable with the truck you begin to learn how to handle it. That comes with time, not a test.

Commercial trucks require a license because they have different braking systems and some other things that you have to learn to use. In many states (including mine) anyone who can pass a DOT physical with their doctor can drive non-air brake trucks under 26,000 GVWR. No driving course required.

Old 01-08-2016, 10:25 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Betty the social worker isn't driving a raised pick up. We know the type of people raised trucks attract and it's not the guy who has read Sartre.

This is what your typical raised truck driver looks like: multiple tattoos on both arms, tight Under Armour shirt, goatee, buzzed or short cropped hair, Oakley sunglasses, backward hat., give or take ear plugs(think big fat earrings not items to dampen sound)..don't lie, you know this describes you
Boy, are YOU clueless! (And apparently blind.)

Most of the people that I know who drive pickups are, first, female. Second, fairly conservative in attire. Usually mid-twenties to, oh, mid-eighties. (Everyone I know who has a dually is over 70, female, and about 5 feet tall) and it's the ranch truck and there's a reason for it.)

Most of them use the pickup to haul feed, pull horse trailers, and other such things. Or to show ranch properties, far easier and safer to drive cross country in a pickup than in my CRV. Some of them are even social workers in their day jobs.

As for me? 5'2" on a good day, I do have pierced ears with almost invisible holes, not a tat to be seen (not that I have anything against them but I realized when contemplating one four decades ago that I change my mind far too often to do something cosmetic that's that permanent), 66 years old, long hair usually worn up out of the way, no sunglasses at all. Attire ranges from professional to jeans and a sweatshirt, depending on what part of my life I'm working in.

Like I said, you're clueless.

Last edited by TexasHorseLady; 01-08-2016 at 10:35 AM..

Old 01-08-2016, 11:05 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,764,533 times
I think it's important to differentiate between truck drivers in largely rural areas versus truck drivers located in urban areas.

Old 01-08-2016, 11:32 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,142,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
I think it's important to differentiate between truck drivers in largely rural areas versus truck drivers located in urban areas.
Despite what the social justice warriors are telling you, it's not important.

How am I supposed to get my kayak, mountain bike, camping gear to the sticks? yeah I'm sure I can buy a roof rack and throw it on a Subaru and get the same MPG a truck, but the truck just makes more sense and I won't have to pack spare head gaskets.

Yes roof racks kill MPG I've been there done that and never again.

Old 01-08-2016, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post

Not in the least bit. If you throw someone in a pickup that comes from a big city and drop them into a rural area they are going to drive the same way.... and vice versa. It's the person, not the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive