Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 10:08 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,346,714 times

Advertisements

Sometimes I need to leave the freeway and need to change to the far right lane. I generally anticipate my exit at least 1-2 miles before the EXIT comes. I never cut in front of the other drivers I always wait for a convenient opening.

I have noted that many drivers accelerate if they see me changing to their lane. It seems they want to create the illusion I dangerously cut them off as I changed lanes. It has gotten so bad that sometimes I do not use the turn signal before changing lanes. It seems that the turn signal is the cue they need to accelerate and prevent other drivers from changing lanes.

So I pretend I am not interested in changing lanes and then make my move. At the moment of changing lanes I then turn on the turn signal. But, to my surprise I still see people that rabidly accelerate to prevent the lane change.

Why is that?

Last edited by Julian658; 01-06-2016 at 10:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 10:10 AM

897 posts, read 1,253,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Sometimes I need to leave the freeway and need to change to the far right lane. I generally anticipate my exit at least 1-2 miles before the EXIT comes. I never cut in front of the other drives I always wait for a convenient opening.

I have noted that many drivers accelerate if they see me changing to their lane. It seems they want to create the illusion I dangerously cut them off as I changed lanes. It has gotten so bad that sometimes I do not use the turn signal before changing lanes. It seems that the turn signal is the cue they need to accelerate and prevent other drivers from changing lanes.

So I pretend I am not interested in changing lanes and then make my move. At the moment of changing lanes I then turn on the turn signal. But, to my surprise I still see people that rabidly accelerate to prevent the lane change.

Why is that?
It's asinine, I know - not sure why they do that. It's commonplace in NYC so I am used to this routine:

1. Look at my mirror
2. Turn my head to look at the blind spot
3. Put my signal as I start to change lanes.

These *******s just don't want you in front of them. Sometime they will speed up to "close the gap" when they see you try to change lanes. It's silly really.

Old 01-06-2016, 10:21 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,771,173 times
There's a fine line on how long you signal ahead of time. I signal when I am going to make a move I've already determined is safe. I rarely have someone speed up to cut me off. If you have your signal on many seconds before you are ready to move and basically start your process of checking your surroundings after the signal, you are putting it on too far ahead and other drivers probably are afraid you do not know where you are going and likely might do something they feel is detrimental to them later on even if that's not the case.

Old 01-06-2016, 10:22 AM

4,834 posts, read 5,737,812 times
Driving in LA it is best if you NOT use your blinkers. After visiting there you just kind of scoot in. Turning on your blinkers is like you said and invitation for cross traffic to speed up and block you.

Here in Denver I do use my blinkers and no one is really annoyed by it

Old 01-06-2016, 10:32 AM

8,343 posts, read 6,435,284 times
If I'm doing 80 and some idiot pulls in front of me doing 30 MPH less its asking for a disaster. Happens all the time.

Old 01-06-2016, 10:36 AM

2,008 posts, read 1,248,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoitzrimz View Post
It's asinine, I know - not sure why they do that. It's commonplace in NYC so I am used to this routine:

1. Look at my mirror
2. Turn my head to look at the blind spot
3. Put my signal as I start to change lanes.

These *******s just don't want you in front of them. Sometime they will speed up to "close the gap" when they see you try to change lanes. It's silly really.
But, dude, they might have to wait a whole half-second longer to get to their destination if they let you in front of them!

Old 01-06-2016, 10:50 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,346,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
If I'm doing 80 and some idiot pulls in front of me doing 30 MPH less its asking for a disaster. Happens all the time.
I have seen stupid drivers that are at least 300 meters away close the gap when I change lanes. I know there are some folks that are always in a hurry, but I simply need to leave the freeway. Why would anyone do 80 MPH in the right lane?

Last edited by Julian658; 01-06-2016 at 11:39 AM..

Old 01-06-2016, 10:59 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,963,115 times
The key to driving is being both deliberate and obvious. If there's a gap I turn on my signal and get over because I've deemed it safe. Have people sped up only to have to slow down then throw a hissy fit? Sure, but who cares?

Old 01-06-2016, 11:02 AM

897 posts, read 1,253,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
The key to driving is being both deliberate and obvious. If there's a gap I turn on my signal and get over because I've deemed it safe. Have people sped up only to have to slow down then throw a hissy fit? Sure, but who cares?
Very true - nothing is more aggravating than someone who is just dipping his toes in the other lane deciding whether to change or not. Change, or don't change, there is no try!

Old 01-06-2016, 11:13 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,822,958 times
1. Maybe you are overestimating how far you are from the car you want to change in front of is. - "objects in mirror are closer than they appear".

2. Maybe it's because you could have gotten behind them, but you sped up and tried to force your way in only to then slow down for your exit. Those who do that can't understand why you didn't just get behind and slow down and not slow them down.

3. Maybe you waited until the last second to exit and they didn't like that. I know you say you anticipate 1 to 2 miles before the exit, but I didn't see you say you actually got over in advance.

4. Maybe it's none of the above and they're just being iceholes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive