Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 10:44 AM

1,333 posts, read 876,151 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

To be honest, I absolutely loved my RX-8. It was amazing, fun, clean, beautiful... Everything someone my age could hope for. Well, worst came to worst this past Monday. I got in an accident and my car was totaled. I was cited for the accident, and having underestimated the value of Collision insurance, I am not going to be receiving any money.

But... This post is not about that mistake I made (listen guys, I regret it. I thought the other guy was stopping, I thought I should go, now my baby is toast.) This post is about how to handle the immediate future

So, I need a new (to me) car, no doubt in that. I'm extremely fortunate to still be living at home with my parents when this accident happened, as I was preparing to move out in several months. Fortunately I work at the same company as my dad and can hitch a ride to work. He has said it's no problem for him and I can take my time in getting a new car.

Well, there's only so much time I can take when meanwhile I am having my friends come and pick me up and my dad drive me to work and being incapable of doing anything on my own (which will be necessary when I need to go back to college).

So, I've thought of three different routes I can take.

1. I can simply save up and get a nice car. (I've been eyeing those 350z and 370zs for a while now.)

2. I can purchase a cheaper car sometime in the next month or two. (I always wanted a CTS when I was younger, so that could be an option. There's also Miatas, Sentras, Camry, Corolla, etc.)

3. I could purchase a cheaper car now, then in like 6 or 7 months sell it to get a 350 or 370z.

A few things to understand:

I do not want to go into debt. I will be moving out before too terribly long, I already have bills to pay, I would prefer to purchase with cash.

I really really loved driving my RX-8. The sporty feel, the sound of the engine, the beautiful interior. This is worth a lot to me.

So the ultimate questions come down to:

1. Is there some questions I should be asking myself in order to make the best decision for me?
2. What would you do?
3. What's the wise thing to do?

Please refrain from insulting me about the accident It was just that, an accident. I've taken responsibility and will be paying quite a bit for it; so I have been roasted enough as it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 10:52 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,679,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyl3r View Post
Hello everyone!

To be honest, I absolutely loved my RX-8. It was amazing, fun, clean, beautiful... Everything someone my age could hope for. Well, worst came to worst this past Monday. I got in an accident and my car was totaled. I was cited for the accident, and having underestimated the value of Collision insurance, I am not going to be receiving any money.

But... This post is not about that mistake I made (listen guys, I regret it. I thought the other guy was stopping, I thought I should go, now my baby is toast.) This post is about how to handle the immediate future

So, I need a new (to me) car, no doubt in that. I'm extremely fortunate to still be living at home with my parents when this accident happened, as I was preparing to move out in several months. Fortunately I work at the same company as my dad and can hitch a ride to work. He has said it's no problem for him and I can take my time in getting a new car.

Well, there's only so much time I can take when meanwhile I am having my friends come and pick me up and my dad drive me to work and being incapable of doing anything on my own (which will be necessary when I need to go back to college).

1. I can simply save up and get a nice car. (I've been eyeing those 350z and 370zs for a while now.)

2. I can purchase a cheaper car sometime in the next month or two. (I always wanted a CTS when I was younger, so that could be an option. There's also Miatas, Sentras, Camry, Corolla, etc.)

3. I could purchase a cheaper car now, then in like 6 or 7 months sell it to get a 350 or 370z.

I do not want to go into debt. I will be moving out before too terribly long, I already have bills to pay, I would prefer to purchase with cash.

I really really loved driving my RX-8. The sporty feel, the sound of the engine, the beautiful interior. This is worth a lot to me.

1. Is there some questions I should be asking myself in order to make the best decision for me?
2. What would you do?

Please refrain from insulting me about the accident It was just that, an accident. I've taken responsibility and will be paying quite a bit for it; so I have been roasted enough as it is.
Well if you don't want to go into debt how much cash do you have saved up. Figure that out and you can decide from there. As far as a fancy new car or beater, it is all up to you.

Sounds like you are a car guy so you probably wouldn't be happy with a "normal" car. If you have the cash go for it. Only you can decide.

Old 01-07-2016, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Well if you don't want to go into debt how much cash do you have saved up. Figure that out and you can decide from there. As far as a fancy new car or beater, it is all up to you.

Sounds like you are a car guy so you probably wouldn't be happy with a "normal" car. If you have the cash go for it. Only you can decide.
Well, the point would be that going down the nice car route would cause me to have to wait for something like 4-5 months before I can get a car again. The beater route would mean I'm up and running asap.

Just looking for other's opinions who have more life experience than I do in this area

Old 01-07-2016, 11:00 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,262,134 times
If you have another car to drive in the interim, why rush into a purchase that you do not want? I would be inclined to wait for something that you want.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 01-07-2016, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
If you have another car to drive in the interim, why rush into a purchase that you do not want? I would be inclined to wait for something that you want.
I'm sorry, I guess I didn't make that clear. My RX-8 was the only car I had. It is totaled now.
Basically, I can get everywhere I need to by hitching rides with others (thank god.)

Old 01-07-2016, 11:02 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,679,883 times
Get a beater and resale for same price you bought it. Just be careful it's a true beater that you'll have to constantly put money into (easier said than done)

Talking 80's Civic ,etc

Old 01-07-2016, 11:05 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,262,134 times
Quote:
I'm sorry, I guess I didn't make that clear. My RX-8 was the only car I had. It is totaled now.
Basically, I can get everywhere I need to by hitching rides with others (thank god.)
Well, see how long you can put up with the inconvenience and then make a decision. I would not rush out to buy a Corolla, Malibu, or CTS if you are used to a higher trim, more responsive vehicle. The Corolla would be fine, but very boring, and the seats may not be comfortable -- from my perspective they were designed in a torture chamber as I cannot sit in them for more than about an hour without discomfort.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 01-07-2016, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Get a beater and resale for same price you bought it. Just be careful it's a true beater that you'll have to constantly put money into (easier said than done)

Talking 80's Civic ,etc
Assuming you meant that I won't have to constantly put money into :P
Well, I got a Grand AM for $1800 that never ran me more than the cost of a fuse or two and gas. So, I think I could get a beater that'll work for the meanwhile.

I think I like this idea the best. It seems like it's the most convenient way to crumble this cookie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Well, see how long you can put up with the inconvenience and then make a decision. I would not rush out to buy a Corolla, Malibu, or CTS if you are used to a higher trim, more responsive vehicle. The Corolla would be fine, but very boring, and the seats may not be comfortable -- from my perspective they were designed in a torture chamber as I cannot sit in them for more than about an hour without discomfort.
Hahaha, well, I have a friend with a 2002 Corolla that seems like a quite decent car, though very boring as you said. I could live with that if I had to. Wouldn't be my choice.
Let me say why I mention the CTS specifically. The horsepower and beautiful interiors of CTSs is what really makes me want it. I don't expect that it'll take corners like my RX-8 could. I just want something I'll be comfortable with until I upgrade if I take that route.

Old 01-07-2016, 11:06 AM

3,913 posts, read 5,203,288 times
Quote:
Hello everyone!

2. What would you do?

Compromise. Try getting a later model Maxima....while not stellar as it relates to reliability and maintenance cost they do wonders for a depreciated/affordable sports sedan model. Handling is superb, looks stylish, plenty of power and exponentially cheaper to own and operate than any Mercedes, BMW, Volvo, or similar sports sedan?

Also, there always seems to be a market for a used one. People like the look. I just wish they were more dependable. You could go even cheaper and get a used Altima which is a pretty nice sedan...low risk and you can liquidate it later much easier.....

If you simply want good, rock solid transportation, buy a used Camry. V6 if you can get it.....from 2010 on......a good 2011 will set you back about 10K give or take. Good, solid car that will go almost overnight when you want to sell it. Plus, you probably won't have a lick of trouble from it. Same for an Accord.

Hope this helps,

Old 01-07-2016, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Compromise. Try getting a later model Maxima....while not stellar as it relates to reliability and maintenance cost they do wonders for a depreciated/affordable sports sedan model. Handling is superb, looks stylish, plenty of power and exponentially cheaper to own and operate than any Mercedes, BMW, Volvo, or similar sports sedan?

Also, there always seems to be a market for a used one. People like the look. I just wish they were more dependable. You could go even cheaper and get a used Altima which is a pretty nice sedan...low risk and you can liquidate it later much easier.....

If you simply want good, rock solid transportation, buy a used Camry. V6 if you can get it.....from 2010 on......a good 2011 will set you back about 10K give or take. Good, solid car that will go almost overnight when you want to sell it. Plus, you probably won't have a lick of trouble from it. Same for an Accord.

Hope this helps,
Hey, thanks for the suggestions! I'm gonna be honest, for 10k, I would save a tad more and then buy a 350z. I've heard great things about their reliability and they look so aggressive (something my RX-8 was lacking.)
The Maxima and Altima suggestions seem like good ideas though. I'll have to consider this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive