Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 02:54 PM

10,068 posts, read 7,239,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Something reliable, slow, safe, visible, and with good storage capacity (for going to college)...
Agree with all of this. When I was a senior in high school (2000-01) I got a 1998 Dodge Intrepid, which had most of those features although mine was the kind with options so it was actually pretty fast for a 4-door sedan. It was a great car for going to/from college - a spacious backseat and trunk that fit the stuff from my dorm. They looked pretty cool at the time with the 1998 re-design, although now look dated.

Plus the spacious backseat was good for.... well you know.

My dad was willing to pay the high insurance costs on a late-model car. I ended up paying him back for some of it and got really good use out of that car - driving it for 11 years / 140,000 miles. If you buy too new, your insurance costs will be INSANE until age 26.

They don't make that car anymore. Today, maybe a 5-8 year old Ford Fusion, VW Jetta, Kia Forte, Hyundai Sonata, Chrysler 300, Chevy Impala, Dodge Charger.

An Impreza would be a decent choice imo. The downsides of Subarus are high repair costs and not that much cargo space in an impreza. I did rent one for about a month a few years ago though and while it was smaller than I'd prefer and had a very awkward center console, I liked it for the awd versatility and good gas mileage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2016, 02:59 PM

552 posts, read 314,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmorar View Post
Currently I am 16 years old and I have my learner's permit and my mother will be buying me a car. So I just want to know what is a good car for a teenager. Like insurance, fuel economy, overall looks, reliability and a good fun car to drive. My budget is anything under 15k but the car cant be more than 7 years or more than 100k miles. Right now I've eyeing some 2011 Subaru Impreza's due to their AWD and overall reiliability but I'd like to hear your guys opinions on what is an ideal car for a teenager.
You should buy your own car. Its too bad that todays cars a pain to work on. You need to have some computer software to diagnose many problems and parts of the engine compartment are practically inaccessible unless you want to tear the whole machine apart. Buy an older car that you can modify and fine tune. It will be well worth the time and effort.

Old 01-09-2016, 03:00 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
AWD = 1 flat and you have to buy ALL new tires......
Any decent tire shop can shave the replacement tire to the same diameter as the other three tires. Tire Rack can do it same day and ship the tire to you.

Old 01-09-2016, 03:14 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,248,351 times
Volvo 240 wagon

Old 01-09-2016, 03:23 PM

639 posts, read 579,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retired11 View Post
Jeep. Safe, reliable, great in snow and ice, low insurance, and takes a collision well. You rarely here about speeding deaths in a Jeep.
Reliable and jeep are nothing I've ever heard in the same sentence. I had 3 wranglers and loved them all but constant problems. Not just me, everyone I knew as well. Also there bad for inexperienced drivers due to the ease of rolling in turns. Also you don't automatically need 4 new tires with AWD. depends on the wear. Of course they try to sell you 4 every time, I've never had an issue and have done it many times on many vehicles.

Old 01-09-2016, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Amazing isn't it.
First, I'd ask the parents to put some life insurance on the 16 year old.
Whats your point? Is he more likely to die because there spending more then you would recommend?

Old 01-09-2016, 03:46 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
I'd look at:

Honda Accord
Acura TL
Acura RL (has SH-AWD)
Mercedes E-Class (320/350) sedan or wagon (4Matic Option)
Volvo S60 (Optional AWD)
Volvo XC70 (AWD)
Volvo S70 (FWD)
Lexus ES
Toyota Prius
Toyota Prius V
Subaru Forester
Buick Lucerne (6-cylinder)
Buick LaCrosse (6-cylinder)
Toyota Camry
Toyota Avalon
Lexus HS250

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 01-09-2016, 04:41 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,249,029 times
Mk4 Golf with the 2.0-liter 8-valve engine and manual transmission. Not the greatest fuel mileage (25-27 mpg) but a solid engine. Absolutely avoid the automatic transmission in this model, as they are unreliable and expensive to replace. The body has excellent rust-proofing (12-year warranty) so many of these 10-15 year old cars are free or almost free of rust. With the back seats lowered, they hold a lot of cargo to or from college. The seats are comfortable and visibility is excellent. Parts are easy to find, new or used, and lots of mechanics are familiar with this model.

You should be able to find a well-maintained Mk4 Golf with MT for around $4000-$5000, or maybe less. But insist on a complete service record and stay away from trashed-out beaters. Naturally you'd want to make sure the heater and air conditioner both work just fine.

The Mk4 GTIs (same body, different engine and suspension) are also nice, but you'd have to be even more careful in choosing one that has not been abused. The TDI versions (diesel) are very nice, but tend to cost more. Again, avoid automatic transmission models.

Old 01-09-2016, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Baustian View Post
Mk4 Golf with the 2.0-liter 8-valve engine and manual transmission. Not the greatest fuel mileage (25-27 mpg) but a solid engine. Absolutely avoid the automatic transmission in this model, as they are unreliable and expensive to replace. The body has excellent rust-proofing (12-year warranty) so many of these 10-15 year old cars are free or almost free of rust. With the back seats lowered, they hold a lot of cargo to or from college. The seats are comfortable and visibility is excellent. Parts are easy to find, new or used, and lots of mechanics are familiar with this model.

You should be able to find a well-maintained Mk4 Golf with MT for around $4000-$5000, or maybe less. But insist on a complete service record and stay away from trashed-out beaters. Naturally you'd want to make sure the heater and air conditioner both work just fine.

The Mk4 GTIs (same body, different engine and suspension) are also nice, but you'd have to be even more careful in choosing one that has not been abused. The TDI versions (diesel) are very nice, but tend to cost more. Again, avoid automatic transmission models.
Except for the $3,500 timing replacement. depending on the years you're talking about. VW claimed it was a lifetime part, Apparently lifetime in german must mean 80,000mi. They made it brutally hard to change. I would avoid old VW's unless you have many funds available. Those and the audi's of similar years are so great when there new,but be prepared if you want to keep it.

Old 01-09-2016, 05:41 PM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times
For each vehicle you're considering, call the auto insurance to find out how much will it cost to insure with you as the driver. Some of those fun car's are very expensive for a teenage guy to insure. Those dull boring cars can be cheaper to insure. I'd start with looking at a Corolla and Sentra type car's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive