Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2016, 03:29 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

A North Carolina span shaves the tops off tall trucks; ‘crash art’ for sale

DURHAM, N.C.—A height sensor on the street detected impending doom here last month. Yellow lights began flashing a block away. The danger: A Budget rental truck barging down the road wasn’t going to get under the railroad overpass.

The Joys of Watching a Bridge Shave the Tops Off Trucks - WSJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2016, 09:34 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,656,809 times
Pretty funny. There was also a story on NBC news the other night.

People lack situational awareness, and especially people who don't usually drive trucks don't know how tall their vehicle is. I was wondering why they don't put a horizontal bar across the road with a swinging metal plate set at 11'8"; it won't damage most vehicles, but it should wake the driver up.

Old 01-11-2016, 11:16 AM

7,519 posts, read 13,628,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Pretty funny. There was also a story on NBC news the other night.

People lack situational awareness, and especially people who don't usually drive trucks don't know how tall their vehicle is. I was wondering why they don't put a horizontal bar across the road with a swinging metal plate set at 11'8"; it won't damage most vehicles, but it should wake the driver up.
Have seen bridges and parking structures that have chains hanging down for this purpose.

Old 01-11-2016, 11:34 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
There's a side street about 30 feet before the bridge where trucks need to go for deliveries to some restaurants as well as a way to Ross the tracks and avoid the bridge, so I assume they haven't put warning devices like that up as trucks might hit them. Still seems like they should though.

Old 01-11-2016, 02:30 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,401,706 times
Very much enjoyed watching that, thanks OP. I took an RV around the country for a few months a couple years back and warmly remember driving under low bridges with white knuckles. I measured the height multiple times and never ultimately had an issue, but still terrifying going under bridges that only left a few inches of clearance.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:02 AM

24,411 posts, read 23,070,474 times
I always said that learning to drive in a real behemoth( early 60s Buick sedan) gave me a sense of spatial awareness on how to fit the car in spaces or making turns. Maybe to this day I think my car is bigger than what it really is and over compensate. But many CDL drivers are space cadets and get into truck driving because its easy money and easy to do( they think). Then they screw up and realize just how much of a responsibility it is driving a large vehicle safely and responsibly. Its bad enough they're driving regular cars, trucks are even worse. Go into the DMV and look at who's getting licenses and who's getting CDL licenses. You'd want to stay off the roads.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:33 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,739,837 times
I saw a train with a bunch of auto carriers on it, all loaded with new Ford Super Duty pickups, hit a bridge in Chicago. Given how long it took to stop, it peeled at least 30 of the trucks off the top rack. They were sitting / lying all over on the track next to the freeway. Many looked undamaged. More looked totaled. I wonder how that could happen given the clearance testing for a bridge over a rail line?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive