Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2016, 07:24 AM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times

Advertisements

Do people drive the speed limit during a blizzard? No. They are usually driving about 10 mph. Why would you be doing the speed limit if everyone is doing 10. Why are you doing the speed limit in the #1 lane if everyone else is doing 80.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2016, 07:29 AM

18,492 posts, read 9,161,666 times
I like how the Ohio Turnpike has signs which explicitly say trucks and slower traffic must use the right 2 lanes. (The turnpike is 3 lanes each way for much of its route east of Toledo.). For the most part, people seem to obey this rule and traffic flows smoothly, even on high traffic days around major holidays.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:36 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,035,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I agree with left lane hogs being an issue but what I find dangerous/annoying are those on cell phones that think staying to the right and driving slow is safe. Yes I am on my cell phone but I am driving slow so all is safe types.
I find that most people on cell phones have no idea of what violations they committed. Often going WAY under the speed limit or cutting people off, but without even realizing it. I'm sure if you asked them they would all say they were doing "fine" and were safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
If, and only IF, you are not sharing that road with a lot of other citizens with just as much right to use it as you have (more, in most cases, since you acknowledge flouting the law just because you can and you wanna), of varying degrees of experience and ability, in vehicles of varying degrees of age, condition, etc.

That is one of the most basic of conditions that every truly basically even marginally decent, never mind excellent, driver knows to take into account when making decisions about how to drive on PUBLIC roads. Every race car driver that I ever knew drove very conservatively on the public roads because they knew to take ALL conditions into account AND they knew that as the true professionals and truly good drivers they had more responsibility for driving appropriately to conditions (including those stated above) and more liability if they chose to try to prove their manhood on the public roads (plus they had no need to do something so foolish which would disprove what they were trying to prove).

What you describe above is nothing to be proud of. It's the behavior of a child.
You miss the point completely. It's not about your having the right to use any lane. I dont think anyone on here would dispute that, certainly not me.

Also, I dont flout the law because I can and want to, though those are both true. I flout the law because it's fun, and in the right situations I find it fun. Traffic laws exist to aid in assigning guilt in the event of an accident. Fundamentally driving 150mph, running red lights etc don't cause any problems and the universe remains in balance, as long as you don't have an accident. I know and understand that, and I accept the risk.

You also seem to assume that I somehow ignored ALL conditions AND don't have professional experience. The problem with making uniformed assumptions is that you look ignorant to anyone who knows the truth. in this case, it's only me, but my guess is that you respond the same IRL, which is sad. It has nothing to do with "proving" anything. If it were just about proving that my vehicle could go fast, I don't even need to start the engine. As I said earlier, I do it solely because it is fun..exhilarating even. The only people who have never had a thrill from breaking 100MPH is old people and...., well I guess it's just old people. So given the choice between being a child or an old fart...I'll choose child every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFanHSV View Post
If the traffic in the right hand lane is going 60, that person has every right to be in the left lane. Now, if there is plenty of room to go back into the right lane, then sure.

Just reading the Alabama law, they don't consider the left lane as the fast lane. The left lane is considered the passing lane.
Again, of course they do. Nobody says otherwise. You're kind of splitting hairs as the point is the same: Get out of the left lane! I didn't specifically say it, but I do try to stay in the middle when driving fast as then I have the whole road to work with and a slightly better chance to recover if the unexpected happens.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:37 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
In most cases the left lane hoggers are intentionally NOT going with the flow of traffic in a self righteous attempt to slow everyone down as though it's their job to police everyone else, in doing so they are endangering everyone, and increasing the number of accidents. They are intentionally impeding the flow of traffic.

If speeders bother you so much despite the fact that driving faster has been proven to cause fewer accidents, stop trying to control them and move to the right. The vast majority of left lane hoggers either go below or just barely do the speed limit despite the fact that the flow of traffic is higher. All this bs about everyone wanting to go 90, or 100 is load of crap excuse to be self righteous. Even on the Autobahn the average speed is 80 and it's known to be safe.

SURPRISE! Driving Faster is Actually Safer!

https://sites.psu.edu/siowfa15/2015/...-faster-safer/

cars - Is driving the speed limit on a highway safer? - Skeptics Stack Exchange

Here
You do realize that if the left lane hoggers are not going with the flow of traffic and that the flow of traffic is significantly higher than they are going that you will have absolutely NO problem passing them on the right with the rest of traffic and that if you are blocked by them then they absolutely ARE going with the flow of traffic and you are the one desiring to exceed the flow of traffic, don't you?

That's pretty basic. Passing all the traffic is, by definition, NOT going with the flow of traffic except in your own mind.

Like I've said numerous times, I don't drive in the left lane unless passing or exiting left but let the speed addicts zoom on up ahead to where I know the cops love to set up to catch them violating the law. But I do recognize that passing all the traffic is not going with the flow of traffic.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setchel View Post
Supposing we talk about people who drive the speed limit, who is being "impeded?" Another person driving the speed limit is NEVER going to catch the example driver and a person driving slower is going to be passed by the one driving the speed limit.

So think about that a second. The only people being "impeded" are those that are breaking the law. And having driven across half the US, most people do drive at or near the speed limit. So this idea of "going with the flow" is to actually follow the law.

Let me pull it up again.

Spoiler
21654. (a) Notwithstanding the prima facie speed limits, any vehicle proceeding upon a highway at a speed less than the normal speed of traffic moving in the same direction at such time shall be driven in the right-hand lane for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand edge or curb, except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.

And I take it back. The code does say "in spite of the speed limits." I was reading that wrong.
However, notwithstanding 21654 (a)'s wording, the CHP policy manual says "Vehicles traveling at or exceeding the 55/65/70 PMH maximum speed limits are not in violation of Section 21654 CVC."

http://azbikelaw.org/cases/CHP_100.6...d_bicycles.pdf

And of course this was taken to court after a deadly accident where a driver was at the speed limit and was rear ended by a speeding vehicle that then crashed. The conclusion follows the manual.
"In conclusion, after careful consideration of these various factors in light of the undisputed facts involved in this case, we conclude Monreal did not owe a common law or statutory duty to move his vehicle to the right into the [61 Cal. App. 4th 1355] next slower lane when Tobin's vehicle approached from behind in the same lane at a speed in excess of the posted maximum speed limit of 55 miles per hour. Accordingly, because Monreal owed no such duty we also conclude the referee erred in finding Monreal comparatively negligent, and the court erred in entering judgment against Monreal based on the referee's finding."

Monreal v. Tobin (1998) :: :: California Court of Appeal Decisions :: California Case Law :: California Law :: U.S. Law :: Justia

So it's conflicting, but there's a precedent set that driving the speed limit (not over or under) means you can legally stay in the left lane and NOT get over for other vehicles to pass you.
Oh, that pesky case law that persists in invalidating the claim that speed addicts are exempt from responsibility for obeying the speed limit in the left lane (and elsewhere) and any consequences of theier failure to do so.

Old 01-13-2016, 09:09 AM

899 posts, read 1,015,552 times
I'm not going to camp in the left lane, but I still don't care if somebody else does it. It's hilarious when an 18 wheeler's camping.

Old 01-13-2016, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
BS, I have driven cross country, east to west coast, north to south MULTIPLE times, twice this year alone. Those at or below the speed limit constantly impede traffic.

One can't pass when the left lane is being hogged. You are impeding the flow of traffic and causing more accidents no matter what your self righteous "law breaking" justification when you hog the left lane. It is NOT your job to police other drivers. Unless you are passing, stay to the right, it's quite simple.
I've been observing traffic, too, and I drive a lot in the course of my profession and to get anywhere I have to get on the interstate. For the most part, people are driving at or at most a couple of miles per hour, no more than 5 mph above the speed limit, with some noticeable outliers (more going over the limit than under, but outliers, nonetheless, made more obvious by their tailgating and weaving in and out of traffic behavior when frustrated by the majority going within 5 mph of the speed limit).

I can count on one hand the number driving below the speed limit (except in traffic situations where everyone is driving below the limit due to conditions) that I've seen in the last five years. Not so with the speed addicts, though they are more numerous than the ones driving BELOW the limit.

Conclusion? Those complaining about slowpokes are complaining about the majority of people with whom they are supposed to share the road, and the real problem is just that, having to share the road with anyone else.

It is NOT the speed addicts job to police other drivers, trying to force them through tailgating or weaving or other such behavior to violate the speed limit. Even if the police won't do it for them (it's not the police's job, either, to punish people for obeying the law, as the case law above, and other case law, demonstrates).

Old 01-13-2016, 09:15 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,667,017 times
Quote:
Nope. If everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, slowpokes and speed addicts, drove at the speed limit, there would be NO variation in speed. It's when anyone takes it upon themselves to drive much slower than or faster than the speed limit that the variation in speed is created, and both are responsible. That includes people who want everyone else to speed up rather than slowing their rush pell mell to hell down to match the flow of traffic.

Do you read what you write? You CANNOT control others driving habits. Period..... To expect that you will get people to slow down by blocking the passing lane is ridiculous. By sitting in the passing lane at 70 you are blocking the flow of traffic in that lane. I don't expect anyone to speed up in the left lane. I expect them to move over if I am about to come up on them as I do when someone comes up on me. Their speed is none of my business nor my concern.

Law enforcement has the duty to uphold the speed limit. You cannot remove speed variations. What you can do is help even out the flow by remaining in the proper lane based upon your driving style. If you look at the way the road systems in Germany (Autobahn) are used, there are much fewer accidents than here. Why do you think that is?

Old 01-13-2016, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
^^^ This is so wrong.

Here's the laws of all 50 States. State "keep right" laws

You'll quickly see all the notes that say you need to keep right and not obstruct flow, regardless of the speed limit.

You'll also see at the bottom of that link

The Uniform Vehicle Code states:
Upon all roadways any vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic ...
This law refers to the "normal" speed of traffic, not the "legal" speed of traffic. The 60 MPH driver in a 55 MPH zone where everybody else is going 65 MPH must move right.
Now, go to the Montana statutes and see if there is a speed limit statute. That one counts as much as and must be read WITH the keep right law you quote above. You can't have one without both, though those wanting everyone to get out of their way to let them speed will fight that concept to their dying breath, it seems.

If you want the xtatute you quote above to count and be obeyed, you yourself have to obey the other one that limits how fast you can drive. Anything else is, yep, hypocritical (and childish behavior, to boot).

Old 01-13-2016, 09:23 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,667,017 times
Quote:
Now, go to the Montana statutes and see if there is a speed limit statute. That one counts as much as and must be read WITH the keep right law you quote above. You can't have one without both, though those wanting everyone to get out of their way to let them speed will fight that concept to their dying breath, it seems.

If you want the xtatute you quote above to count and be obeyed, you yourself have to obey the other one that limits how fast you can drive. Anything else is, yep, hypocritical (and childish behavior, to boot).

Childish behavior is sitting in the passing lane and blocking traffic because you don't want people going faster than you. This is similar to a child smashing the last cookie into the floor because their mom said they have to split it and they think if they can't have the whole thing, no one can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive