Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 08:04 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,588,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
No, it doesn't. However, the coolant temperature IS monitored through an ECT sensor, and if it doesn't reach a certain temperature in a certain time, it sets a P0128.

Code P0128 - Coolant Temperature Below Thermostat Regulating Temperature

Therefore, a stuck thermostat will cause a code to be set.
I was talking about a thermostat cant set codes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2016, 06:52 PM

3,378 posts, read 9,207,011 times
Quote:
No, it doesn't. However, the coolant temperature IS monitored through an ECT sensor, and if it doesn't reach a certain temperature in a certain time, it sets a P0128.

Code P0128 - Coolant Temperature Below Thermostat Regulating Temperature

Therefore, a stuck thermostat will cause a code to be set.

Not every car reports every OBD code out there.

Old 01-16-2016, 07:39 PM

17,576 posts, read 15,247,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
Not every car reports every OBD code out there.
that is a global code. Every car reports that. Why? Because the coolant temperature controls the emissions system.. And that's something that OBDII is in there to monitor.

Old 01-16-2016, 11:02 PM

282 posts, read 236,185 times
Sounds like a thermostat stuck open. Had the same issue myself before. Another major thing you'll notice is the vehicle temp is not getting to the halfway mark and you might get frothy yellowish deposits under the oil cap on the top of your engine.

Anyway, I've got a video I found for a 2005 Explorer. Not sure if the model generation is different or not, but the idea is going to be very similar. Honestly a pretty simple job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fn1pu5rPsU

Old 01-16-2016, 11:27 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,570,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post

Not sure why you're so shocked. Tap water is the worse thing you can put in your cooling system. Simply because of the dissolved metals and minerals. It's fine to flush but to refill you use distilled water.

No its not. Distilled Water is a waste in a cooling system, since the junk that clogs up Radiators does not come from "Tap Water." If there isn't enough minerals in the water to be visible to the naked eye, so there certainly isn't enough to clog anything. And it doesn't generate "Minerals" in a closed system, where anything is added rarely. The impurities and rust that accumulates in a cooling system, come from the rust and corrosion inside of the engine itself, not the water you add.

Also, when checking your coolant level, just because you have coolant in your "Overflow" Reservoir, does not mean your radiator is full. Check it Cold, and check the Radiator itself.

Old 01-16-2016, 11:38 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,570,820 times
Quote:
SES=Service Engine Soon, or the engine light.. AKA the MIL, which is Malfunction Indicator Lamp.

If you're not getting a code set, which would light up the SES light.. Then that would drop the thermostat way down the list for me. That alone would be good enough to tell me the thermostat was working properly.. At least for the moment. If I kept banging my head, i'd still pull and check it.

I'd probably look towards a plugged heater core at that point. Most times, a plugged/clogged heater core will lead to overheating.. But.. It's possible for it to plug up and the vehicle not overheat.

Thermostats don't set codes. A plugged Heater core does not cause overheating...never...ever...

No Heat Causes: Most common order.

1. Low Coolant in Radiator
2. Thermostat
3. Hot water valve if it has one
4. Heater Core Plugged
5. Heater Case Mode Door malfunction

A decent Mechanic can check all these very quickly with an infrared handheld Thermometer. to see if the water is hot enough, where the heated water stops, if it is hot enough, and the circulation through the heater core, without tearing anything apart.

Old 01-16-2016, 11:59 PM

1,668 posts, read 1,486,659 times
Why hasn't anybody suggested plugging a scan tool into it to read the engine temperature?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive