Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 08:08 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,255,729 times

Advertisements

I have a 2005 Toyota Camry. It has about 115,000 miles on it. I need new tires. Only 3 because I had gotten a flat earlier this year and got that one replaced then.

Usually my dad handles this stuff but now that I'm older it's time for me to start doing these things on my own lol. So what do i do? I'm always worried about getting ripped off so if anyone has any info, please share. I normally go to Pep Boys. The new tire i got to replace the flat was about $100, so can i expect 3 new tires to be $100 each too? Do people normally take the road-side insurance with it? Will I have to pay for the labor to put the new tires on? Is there ever any way to negotiate the price of these things?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2017, 08:19 AM

6,564 posts, read 7,145,772 times
Just go to a reputable tire shop (avoid Tires Plus if you have this sh*thole place in your area) and get tires. Look on tire racks website for an idea on what the tires will cost. Only buy highly ranked ones in the review part, ask for that tire when at shop.

Old 12-04-2017, 08:22 AM

6,430 posts, read 4,922,941 times
My 2007 Camry needed new tires and the Toyota dealers usually have the buy 3 get the 4th free. I still have an extra in the garage and I just got rid of the car. I have AAA so I skip the extra insurance. Go look on your car at the brand and size of tire and call around for best prices. Wholesale Clubs have great prices too. Get the prices for mounting, balancing, tire disposal fee and taxes from each one. They usually try to sell you a 4 wheel alignment too which if your tires are wearing evenly you don't need.

Old 12-04-2017, 08:37 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,675,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
I have a 2005 Toyota Camry. It has about 115,000 miles on it. I need new tires. Only 3 because I had gotten a flat earlier this year and got that one replaced then.

Usually my dad handles this stuff but now that I'm older it's time for me to start doing these things on my own lol. So what do i do? I'm always worried about getting ripped off so if anyone has any info, please share. I normally go to Pep Boys. The new tire i got to replace the flat was about $100, so can i expect 3 new tires to be $100 each too? Do people normally take the road-side insurance with it? Will I have to pay for the labor to put the new tires on? Is there ever any way to negotiate the price of these things?

Thanks.
I had no idea tires could some with road side assistance???
If you have full coverage auto insurance you can roadside assistance added to your policy at an insignificant expense that will cover the entire vehicle- I would go that route instead or enroll in AAA which offers some discounts I believe on unrelated stuff.

Just go in and ask for a midrange tire from a well known manufacturer that is appropriate for the vehicle.

Choosing the road hazard insurance should come down to how likely you are to need it where you live. How bad are the roads (potholes debris ect). I personally don't buy it and only once have I destroyed a tire that would have been warrantied, but the roads arent bad here.

Old 12-04-2017, 08:41 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,255,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
I had no idea tires could some with road side assistance???
If you have full coverage auto insurance you can roadside assistance added to your policy at an insignificant expense that will cover the entire vehicle- I would go that route instead or enroll in AAA which offers some discounts I believe on unrelated stuff.

Just go in and ask for a midrange tire from a well known manufacturer that is appropriate for the vehicle.

Choosing the road hazard insurance should come down to how likely you are to need it where you live. How bad are the roads (potholes debris ect). I personally don't buy it and only once have I destroyed a tire that would have been warrantied, but the roads arent bad here.
Sorry i didn't mean roadside assistance, i meant the road hazard insurance haha. The road hazard is in case something happens to the tire within a certain time frame right? like if i were to actually leave the tire place and get a flat, it would be replaced for free, right? see i know nothing! lol

Old 12-04-2017, 08:54 AM

1,199 posts, read 1,554,082 times
Find out who has deals on tires or rebates available. There are almost always a mail-in rebate that can be had on a particular brand/type of tire. Michelins and Goodyears tend to cost more, but if you can get a mail-in rebate, it will help bring the price down. I recently got a set of Coopers for my truck, cost me about $200 for the entire set mounted & balanced after rebates. I picked up a set of Michelin M/S2 for my Cherokee XJ last year, cost me less than $300 for the set out the door after rebates. They were originally $125 a tire.

Don't get cheap garbage tires. You don't have to spend an arm and a leg to get a decent set of Coopers or Generals. Stay away from Chinese tires like Westlake.

Do you have a Discount Tire in your area? They'll usually give extra rebates just to put the tires on their credit card. Then you pay the card off when you get your statement. No interest paid, and extra cash in your pocket.

Old 12-04-2017, 09:17 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,294,659 times
If you had a good experience with Pep Boys, you can certainly go back to them.

Otherwise, do some research online to get an idea of the cost of your tires. Tire Rack is a good place to start. It'll usually give you the original tire prices or the closest one if the originals are no longer available. You can buy them there and they'll drop ship it to a local place that partners with them. I've found their prices to not always be the best though.

For a daily commuter like this - places like Wal-Mart and Costco (or other membership warehouses) are great options if you have them near you. If you don't have a membership, you can find a friend that has one or do a trial membership. For places like BJ or Sam's, it's like $50-$60 to start. The money you save on this one purchase may pay for it.

As for other places like Mr. Tire, NTB, Firestone, etc. They are normally franchise and independently owned. So look at their reviews (yelp, etc.). You can have two places in your town where one you should avoid and one you can trust.

Old 12-04-2017, 09:32 AM

5,675 posts, read 5,890,781 times
How ;long ago, or how many miles, was the "new" tire installed? Unless its almost new, Id replace it as well, or else youll be playing merry go round with tires: 3 this time, 1 next time, and so on. I agree on checking around town, but if Pepboys has treated you right in the past, go back to them. Maybe get Dad to go with you, and have him give you advice while you do the talking.

Old 12-04-2017, 09:40 AM

1,232 posts, read 1,903,344 times
Just don't walk into anywhere and say you need new tires. As much as I love Discount Tire, even they will push their "exclusive" tires. Spend some time on Tire Rack - - -easy, just put in the year/model of your car to see what is available in your size. There are typically better choices than what came on the car from the manufacturer - - so even though you bought one, don't feel locked-in. Find a few that fit your needs based on your driving and budget, and call around to get an "out the door" price. I never buy the warranty - - except for my daughter and mother-in-law, who both live out of state (minimize potential hassles for them).

Old 12-04-2017, 09:56 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,531,839 times
Sounds like some education is required. The two sources on the internet are TireRack.com and ConsumersReports.com.
Tire rack is free, CR is a subscription source for all kinds of products.
Tire sales are very profitable which is why there are retail outlets ranging from stores labelled with manufacturers name, auto dealers, and specialty shops that deal in autoparts or multiple brands, and of course, Just Tires. The big box stores and retail chains also carry tires.
Depending on where you live, snow tires may be needed, or even studded tires. Generally an all season tread is workable.
Most tires will need to be installed and balanced at a charge to be added, often $20 per tire. You will want to replace tire valves at this time, too. Also get the suspension aligned after the new tires are installed. If the store offers alignment ask if you can bring the car back in for that in a month or so.
Nitrogen refills is a scam intended to add some money to the deal with no advantage to you. Free air is 80% nitrogen. Even filling with pure nitrogen does not eliminate all the oxygen.
Of course you can always ask dad for advice only!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive