Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 06:14 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,726,963 times

Advertisements

what could this be and typically how serious it this?

i'll definitely get it looked at but it might take a couple weeks.

sound like an expensive fix?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 06:20 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,863,723 times
Just go in for an alignment at a reputable shop and see what they say. $60-$80
It could also be unbalanced wheels.

Old 01-12-2016, 06:27 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Might be a bent wheel if you really whacked the curb and/or if it's a car with relatively soft wheels.

Old 01-12-2016, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
Just go in for an alignment at a reputable shop and see what they say. $60-$80
It could also be unbalanced wheels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Might be a bent wheel if you really whacked the curb and/or if it's a car with relatively soft wheels.
recently got brand new tires (well after this event) and had it aligned then.

would they have noticed a bent wheel?

Old 01-12-2016, 08:06 AM

1,218 posts, read 3,471,789 times
it might be a wheel bearing, that's what happened to me. I hit it really hard though and bent the wheel - after I got the wheel fixed I still had the vibration and it was the bearing

Old 01-12-2016, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefastlife View Post
recently got brand new tires (well after this event) and had it aligned then.

would they have noticed a bent wheel?
They certainly should have as the new tires would have required spinning the wheels on the balancer.

This issue started immediately after hitting the curb?

Did you drive at speed right after the incident or was it a bit later you noticed the issue?

Just an added thought, this may sound silly but sometimes after an incident like hitting a curb etc. you become a little more critical of the car's performance and look to see if you've damaged something. Any chance something like that's in play?

Old 01-12-2016, 08:25 AM

Quote:
They certainly should have as the new tires would have required spinning the wheels on the balancer.

Did you drive at speed right after the incident or was it a bit later you noticed the issue?
i can't recall EXACTLY when the issue started. the issue began and i've been racking my brain as to why it may have started.

then i recalled, late last winter i lost control and ran up onto a curb. the timeline seemed to coincide and it sort of makes sense that it might be the cause.

Old 01-12-2016, 08:38 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cats234 View Post
it might be a wheel bearing, that's what happened to me. I hit it really hard though and bent the wheel - after I got the wheel fixed I still had the vibration and it was the bearing
A friend of mine went through the same scenario. He slid a few feet on some ice, and whacked a curb. I thought that simply replacing the bent lower suspension arm and aligning the wheels would remedy the situation, but a few weeks after the repair, there was a high speed vibration, and it turned out that the bearing on that wheel had also been damaged.

Because a bad wheel bearing is a potential safety hazard (imagine trying to control your car at highway speed if one wheel suddenly goes into total lock-up), this is something that needs to be checked-out by a competent mechanic, a.s.a.p.

Old 01-12-2016, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefastlife View Post
i can't recall EXACTLY when the issue started. the issue began and i've been racking my brain as to why it may have started.

then i recalled, late last winter i lost control and ran up onto a curb. the timeline seemed to coincide and it sort of makes sense that it might be the cause.
Tire replacement/balance and alignment should have eliminated those two things as the cause.

Since you describe the issue as 'slight', any chance it existed before hitting the curb and that incident just had you more attuned to any problems?

Does it worsen with increased speed or?

Have you changed your normal travel route? I ask because there's some roads near me that with pavement that's smooth but noisy and can make it seem the car's developed an issue.

Old 01-12-2016, 08:41 AM

5,675 posts, read 5,885,028 times
Quote:

Just an added thought, this may sound silly but sometimes after an incident like hitting a curb etc. you become a little more critical of the car's performance and look to see if you've damaged something. Any chance something like that's in play?
Doubt it. #1 most those guys dont look for it, and #2 the slightest bend may not be noticable on a balancer, and #3 if its a proper balancer, theres a big cover that comes over the tire while its spinning so you couldnt see it anyways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive