Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 07:36 AM

774 posts, read 744,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Really? I have spent a fair share of time at the track, attended several driving schools and not a single person mentioned "left foot braking"

Most of the Nascar sprint cup drivers drive with two feet. They have in car cameras that show the footage every week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 07:55 AM

5,671 posts, read 5,868,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Really? I have spent a fair share of time at the track, attended several driving schools and not a single person mentioned "left foot braking"
Thats because the driving schools want you to take your foot off of the go pedal and let the engine do some of the braking.

Old 01-15-2016, 07:57 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
My original cars were stick shift. Even later in life I had an automatic and a stick shift. It was natural for me to drive with two feet. As I got older it became easier to drive with one foot.

Old 01-15-2016, 07:59 AM

5,671 posts, read 5,868,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Real race cars have automatic transmissions and obviously so do carts.
Which "real race cars" are you referring to? Have been around carts much, but the last ones I saw used centrifugal clutches.

Old 01-15-2016, 10:37 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
My mom does this - brakes with her left foot and accelerates with her right foot. It's just a bad habit for some people. However, I also have a friend who does this for medical reasons. He has a special attachment on the brake pedal that lets him keep his legs in a comfortable position while driving. He gets chronic back pain from constantly shuffling his feet back and forth.
I'm sorry to say this but...maybe your friend shouldn't drive until they sort out their back issues?? I'm serious. I took my wife to the orthopedic surgeon and while I was waiting I saw a fairly large number of severely arthritic, crippled or incredibly old people limp, hobble, stumble and then fall into their cars and drive away from the clinic. Until that day I had no idea just how many people are driving around with legs that don't work properly. And that was just one clinic in one part of one city in this country, and only for about 45 minutes. If people can't properly manage a car the way it was designed to be operated they shouldn't try.

Old 01-15-2016, 10:55 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Thats because the driving schools want you to take your foot off of the go pedal and let the engine do some of the braking.
Engine braking only works with manual transmissions so that is NOT the reason. When I learned to drive it was in an automatic. Moving the right foot quickly from the brake to the gas. Notice I said from the brake to the gas. My driving teacher made absolutely certain that I understood that the brake was the important pedal in the car! The gas pedal was only for accelerating, at all other times the right foot was "covering the brake" ready for instantaneous application. Covering the brake, not depressing it, not even a little.

Covering the brake should not bring on the brake lights but many people do that. Don't assume when you see some idjit driving with their brake lights on that it automatically means that they are driving with two feet. In a city like NYC it is important to be ready to brake at all times. This should NOT mean covering the brake with your left foot. Most people are right footed as well as they are right handed. Your left foot will never be as nimble and reliable as the right foot unless you are ambidextrous. In NYC, a left foot braker would inevitably wind up in a collision, if they are lucky, or run a pedestrian down if they (and the ped) are unlucky. Why risk it.

The driving schools stress coming off the gas because most people don't need the encouragement. Quite the opposite. They need to be trained to get off the gas and stop accelerating as soon as possible. I get incredible gas mileage when I drive around town because most of the time my right foot is off the gas! I'm doing just fine with throttle at idle position while icoasting on momentum. If you read that as I am slow in traffic you would be wrong.

Old 01-15-2016, 12:40 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Engine braking only works with manual transmissions so that is NOT the reason. When I learned to drive it was in an automatic. Moving the right foot quickly from the brake to the gas. Notice I said from the brake to the gas. My driving teacher made absolutely certain that I understood that the brake was the important pedal in the car! The gas pedal was only for accelerating, at all other times the right foot was "covering the brake" ready for instantaneous application. Covering the brake, not depressing it, not even a little.
Engine braking also works with automatic transmissions. Many times I have driven down an incline with one of my cars (all with automatic transmissions) in 2nd gear so engine braking can help slow the car.

Old 01-15-2016, 12:59 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,136,274 times
I think Sammy Hagar does this

Old 01-15-2016, 02:52 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,525,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_Pelican View Post
Only this one time someone gave me the finger as he was trying to turn onto the road even though I had the right of way and was at the speed of the road, and after that he was behind me at the light so when it turned green I did a huge burnout and some of the smoke even got into a restaurant adjacent to the light, I would have undoubtedly gotten a ticket that day if police saw it.
His finger cost him nothing, you, on the other hand, probably bought a new set of tires sooner than you had planned.

Old 01-15-2016, 03:12 PM

1,668 posts, read 1,485,287 times
I use both feet driving a automatic or manual shift. Using my left foot on the brake feels normal to me. My right foot feels awkward on the brake if my left foot is not on a clutch. There no thought about it, my feet just do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive