Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2016, 09:45 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,226,058 times

Advertisements

Isn't it true that if a person blows under the limit he's not charged with DUI regardless of how poorly he did on the field sobriety tests?

I don't do any driving with booze in my system, and do not have any disabling medical impairment but there's no way in hell I can do some of those field sobriety tests, simply because of my age. If you ask me to walk with one foot in front of the other, you might as well ask me to do a double back flip while you're at it. And even 40 years ago when still playing playground basketball and Sunday morning flag football, I couldn't stand on one foot for too long.

So what happens if a person fails or refuses to do the field sobriety gymnastics, and instead asks for and passes the breathalyzer?

And while we're at it, if the motorist passes the gymnastics test, does the cop cancel the breathalyzer?

Last edited by Calvert Hall '62; 01-16-2016 at 09:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2016, 09:56 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,042,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
So what happens if a person fails or refuses to do the field sobriety gymnastics, and instead asks for and passes the breathalyzer?
DUI stands for many things, depending on where you are. "Driving under the influence" or it could be DWI, "driving while impaired" or "driving while intoxicated."

If you pass the breathalyzer, then no, you're not under the influence of alcohol, BUT you could still have your driving ability impaired for some other reason (there's supposed to be a reason for why he stopped you in the first place, so chances are you were exhibiting some unsafe behavior behind the wheel, whether you were drunk or not.)

Accept the breathalyzer test. If you pass, that should normally be the end of it. However, if the cop also wants you to do the field test, you can simply state the truth, that because of your age, your balance and agility are just not what they used to be.

My father got pulled over for speeding once, he was coming home from my house where we had been staining a fence. Anyway, I guess there was a strong smell of alcohol on him from the paints, rubbing alcohol we'd been using to clean the brushes and stuff, so the cop asked him to do a field test. My dad had an inner ear infection that affected his balance when standing, he told the cop that, and did the breathalyzer instead and passed, went on his way with just a speeding ticket.

Old 01-16-2016, 10:05 AM

14,417 posts, read 11,954,182 times
In my state, (WA) The purpose of roadside tests is to establish probable cause for arrest. Participate in those at your own peril, because you don't have to do them or incriminate yourself.

In court, they have to prove two things... one that they had probable cause to arrest you, and then, that you are in fact guilty. If they miss on the first question, we never get to the second question.

The official breathalyzer test is given AFTER arrest.

Important distinction between roadside breathalizers and the 'real' breathalizer back at the station. The roadside test is, again, only admissible to establish probable cause. It doesn't actually measure alcohol, it measures CO, which is a related result.

The official admissible test back at the station is a much more elaborate machine, with routine required calibration, and a required process required before administering where you must be under observation to prove nothing went in, or came out of your mouth for 30 minutes. If you drink anything, or barf, the timing has to start over.

Old 01-16-2016, 10:16 AM

14,417 posts, read 11,954,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
I don't do any driving with booze in my system, and do not have any disabling medical impairment but there's no way in hell I can do some of those field sobriety tests, simply because of my age. If you ask me to walk with one foot in front of the other, you might as well ask me to do a double back flip while you're at it. And even 40 years ago when still playing playground basketball and Sunday morning flag football, I couldn't stand on one foot for too long.

The test isn't pass/fail based on completing the task. They expect you to fail the test. The tests are designed to get you off balance. Sober people will get off balance, and correct themselves, usually (some of us are more graceful than others). Drunk people can't get back to balance easily and over-correct.

IOW... failure is normal and expected... it's the reaction to the failure that matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive