Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2016, 06:20 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,248,094 times

Advertisements

I just picked up a pair of Sony xplode 4 way 6x9 speakers for the rear deck of my Honda Accord and will likely install it next weekend or the weekend after. I got the discontinued model at cost with an employee discount (I figured 30 bucks wasn't too shabby).

I'm seeing some people talk about the "sound stage" of a car and there should be no high frequency sounds coming from the back but it seems to me like being surrounded by the full audio is just as good as feeling like it's all coming from the front of you.

I know the factory speakers are more than likely full range, but probably not as high reaching as these new speakers are capable of.

Any opinion one way or the other?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2016, 07:43 PM

17,619 posts, read 17,665,401 times
All depends on your hearing and music audio taste. My personal taste is to not have any more than a two way speaker in the rear. For front audio I prefer dashboard mounted speakers over the now more common door mounted speakers. Thankfully my car has tweeters on the A pillar to compliment the door speakers. In such a set up you at the most only need two way speakers in the doors. Too much treble or high pitch frequencies are painful to my ears and takes away from the overall sound quality of the music. Never really cared for the Sony Xplode 4way speakers. For a full range sound you need tweeters, midrange, woofer, and subwoofer. Look at the speakers used in surround sound system speakers. Most have a midrange and tweeter with a subwoofer nearby. My system has three front speakers, each with two midrange and one tweeter. The two rear speakers each have one midrange and one tweeter. Some more expensive systems don't need a subwoofer because of the woofers built into the speakers. You can get great clarity without a subwoofer. A properly balanced subwoofer will enhance the sound of some music.

Old 01-16-2016, 09:41 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,764,129 times
I think that if you're installing Sony 6X9's, worrying about the sound stage isn't something you're going to have to do.

Old 01-16-2016, 10:12 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,923,039 times
While not an extreme system, in my Bronco I have 2 10" subs, 2 6" mid range, 2 3" voice coils, all in boxes in the rear wired to a 600 watt Kenwood amp. The front speakers are full range Kenwood 6x9s with another set just behind the front seats in the side panels running at 40 watts per channel. The idea was clarity of sound. It works. I also agree, a 6x9 set of speakers is not going to give you anything remotely like sound stage. If I kill the amp, quality of sound dies. The 6x9s just support the boxes, at best.

Old 01-17-2016, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
I think that if you're installing Sony 6X9's, worrying about the sound stage isn't something you're going to have to do.
Great this is what I suspected. My brother is an audiophile but I could never hear much difference except for the time I put a sub in one of my past cars

These days I just look for simplicity so I have no plans to add an amp or a sub

Old 01-17-2016, 08:29 AM

What are you looking for? If the answer is anything related to "better sound" then you need an amplifier.

Old 01-17-2016, 01:58 PM

Quote:
What are you looking for? If the answer is anything related to "better sound" then you need an amplifier.
I just wanted to replace the rear deck speakers with something a little better sounding. maybe tighter bass without going to an amplified sub.

eventually, if I can find some front door speakers on clearance, I may replace those also. The doors get a little buzzy with the bass and volume turned up but the rears sound fairly ok in stock form.

I'm quite happy with the oem audio system's sound in my $500 accord, but wanted to improve it slightly for as little money as possible.

I've added a sub and amplifier and component speakers up front to a past car which sounded great but I just don't have the ambition (or money) to go that route again.

Old 01-17-2016, 02:23 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,682,890 times
I don'y know anything about the Sony speakers, but if you're on a budget, I'd just stick to the same size speakers as came from the factory, and install them in the same places. Usually, they don't put in very good speakers at the factory (unless you have one of the premium sound systems), so improving on them shouldn't be too hard. Of course, you can always spend a lot of money for an audiophile system.

A few months ago I was pricing a new Porsche 911, and the "premium" sound system was an extra $8K or so. So I guess it's possible to spend a lot of money, even if it's just for your car.

Old 01-17-2016, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
I just wanted to replace the rear deck speakers with something a little better sounding. maybe tighter bass without going to an amplified sub.

eventually, if I can find some front door speakers on clearance, I may replace those also. The doors get a little buzzy with the bass and volume turned up but the rears sound fairly ok in stock form.

I'm quite happy with the oem audio system's sound in my $500 accord, but wanted to improve it slightly for as little money as possible.

I've added a sub and amplifier and component speakers up front to a past car which sounded great but I just don't have the ambition (or money) to go that route again.
More power, even if it's just a little amplifier, will help immensely. Speakers that are fuzzy or distorting are often underpowered and trying to drive the sound but can't do it. If you drop a little bit of scratch on a small amplifier and plug it, you'll be amazed at how much it helps.

Old 01-17-2016, 09:20 PM

Quote:
More power, even if it's just a little amplifier, will help immensely. Speakers that are fuzzy or distorting are often underpowered and trying to drive the sound but can't do it. If you drop a little bit of scratch on a small amplifier and plug it, you'll be amazed at how much it helps.
No doubt. I have played with speaker level inputs with a small amplifier in one of my cars many many years ago but now that I'm in my 50s I just prefer not meddling with the wires if I don't have to.

Attaching a set of speakers is no where near the complexity of splicing in the amplifier at the head unit.

My factory radio is rated at 20w rms per channel. it's not great but it's certainly not the same as the stuff we used to get in cars in the 80s.

Of course, everything could change once I drop the sonys in the car and one thing might lead to another, but I already passed on the very nice unmounted sub that was on clearance for 30 bucks.

my previous car was an old audi with bose that I completely excorsized so I'm very aware of what I need to do... just unwilling to take that road.

My original question was do I need to worry about the sound stage or the imaging and as I suspected, it doesn't really matter unless I'm dropping big bucks. Hopefully, I won't hate it once it's installed and start the snowball of more upgrades. Must. Save. Money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive