Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2016, 04:02 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,298,457 times

Advertisements

Recently (this past week), my car has begun taking several attempts to start. The engine won't turn over. When it doesn't it revs almost as if I were pressing the gas and brake at the same time. Sometimes it will start on the first attempt, sometimes it will take 2 or 3 or 4. There's no discernible pattern that I've found, it has nothing to do with the cold. Today, the coldest day of winter thus far, I was able to start it one attempt, although later it took 3. The other day when it was 50 degrees out it took 5 tries.

My main concern is how likely is this to be a very expensive repair. And is there any idea of what could be cause or are there multiple possible causes?

The car is a 1991 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL, 6 cyl. engine.

EDIT: Forgot to say, it has 102,000 miles on it.

Last edited by DSS94; 01-17-2016 at 04:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2016, 08:17 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,760,027 times
Turn the key all the way to the ON position and leave it there for a few seconds, you'll hear the fuel pump start. This gives it a chance to build up to the necessary pressure, and it gives the computer a chance to assess temperatures and adjust itself. Just a few seconds is all that is needed, then crank it to start the engine. If it starts up faster this way, you may have a fuel pressure problem. There's a lot of variables here, especially with a 22 yr old car, like dirty throttle body, dirty or bad Mass Air Flow Sensor, badly worn spark plugs, leaking fuel pressure regulator, bad coils, or the computer itself is on the way out. You'll probably have to bring it somewhere and have them take a good look at it. Could even be as simple as a bad vacuum leak somewhere, PCV valve or something else. Could be bad gas, clogged fuel filter, spark plug wires, has any of these things ever been changed or done before?
By the way, under the throttle body is a short coolant system hose that is hard to see, and many people don't know about until it fails. If they're removing the throttle body, have them replace it CAREFULLY, because it connects to a metal pipe that if forced, will leak where it's mounting clamp is welded to it. The metal pipe isn't expensive and is available, if needed, and so is the one quick-connect associated with it.
Good luck, feel free to ask any other questions. I'm far from very knowlegable, but having some experience with these cars, I'll be glad to advise you any way I can.

Old 01-19-2016, 01:53 AM

1,668 posts, read 1,487,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
Turn the key all the way to the ON position and leave it there for a few seconds, you'll hear the fuel pump start. This gives it a chance to build up to the necessary pressure, and it gives the computer a chance to assess temperatures and adjust itself. Just a few seconds is all that is needed, then crank it to start the engine. If it starts up faster this way, you may have a fuel pressure problem. There's a lot of variables here, especially with a 22 yr old car, like dirty throttle body, dirty or bad Mass Air Flow Sensor, badly worn spark plugs, leaking fuel pressure regulator, bad coils, or the computer itself is on the way out. You'll probably have to bring it somewhere and have them take a good look at it. Could even be as simple as a bad vacuum leak somewhere, PCV valve or something else. Could be bad gas, clogged fuel filter, spark plug wires, has any of these things ever been changed or done before?
By the way, under the throttle body is a short coolant system hose that is hard to see, and many people don't know about until it fails. If they're removing the throttle body, have them replace it CAREFULLY, because it connects to a metal pipe that if forced, will leak where it's mounting clamp is welded to it. The metal pipe isn't expensive and is available, if needed, and so is the one quick-connect associated with it.
Good luck, feel free to ask any other questions. I'm far from very knowlegable, but having some experience with these cars, I'll be glad to advise you any way I can.
A trick I did on a 86 Buick was turn the key as bolded above. Than turn the key off, wait 10 seconds and turn the key on again, wait a few seconds and start. It give the pump another chance to pressurise the system.

Old 01-19-2016, 08:23 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSS94 View Post
Recently (this past week), my car has begun taking several attempts to start. The engine won't turn over. When it doesn't it revs almost as if I were pressing the gas and brake at the same time. Sometimes it will start on the first attempt, sometimes it will take 2 or 3 or 4. There's no discernible pattern that I've found, it has nothing to do with the cold. Today, the coldest day of winter thus far, I was able to start it one attempt, although later it took 3. The other day when it was 50 degrees out it took 5 tries.

My main concern is how likely is this to be a very expensive repair. And is there any idea of what could be cause or are there multiple possible causes?

The car is a 1991 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL, 6 cyl. engine.

EDIT: Forgot to say, it has 102,000 miles on it.
About 15 plus years ago, I had a similar, frustrating and aggravating issue with my '86 Jeep CJ-7, DSS94 . . .

After many "experts" shrugged and gave up, the last one suggested trying a different brand of gasoline, preferably a name brand.

I switched to Shell V-Power Premium and that problem has never reappeared.

Definitely worth a try.

Old 01-19-2016, 12:09 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,220,282 times
Install a new fuel pressure regulator. They are cheap and easy to replace. Check back with the results...

Old 01-19-2016, 10:49 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,767,469 times
All good suggestions so far. I'll add that the crank sensor is a problem on these engines. Can cause intermittent starting issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive