Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 03:43 AM

450 posts, read 597,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Replacing the air filter I can see. Replace filters every 15-20K miles. It sucks though, that in today's cars, filters are deliberately made so hard to reach without removing things in the way above them.
Buy a K&N permanent filter and throw it in the dish washer once a year. Costs about the same as a dealer installed paper one but lasts the life of the car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 07:01 AM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
My wife used to take her car to the dealer before we met and while we were dating. . But they always had a laundry list of things that were imperative or the car was going to turn into a fire engulfed death trap that was going to level half the city.
Last time I didn't do a oil change and I told her to run by the dealer. Ok got busy I forgot. At least they can do that right. They came back with needed belts, air filter and new brakes and rotors send a suggested timing belt replacement. At 30,000 miles.
BS. They were simply praying on a customer. That dealer is no longer there. I wonder why?

Just had this discussion with my wife while driving down the freeway. She had taken my daughter's car in for an oil change and the dealer had called her to alert her to a bunch of other engine work that needed to be done because the car was at the 60,000 mile point, including changing the timing belt.

My wife gets over-anxious about such things, so I had to be firm about pointing out that we just had the engine replaced under warranty only 15,000 miles ago...and I'd made a point of having them change the timing belt then. So all that normal 60,000 mile work was unnecessary...just change the oil.

Old 01-19-2016, 07:25 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
I have the same question. My drivetrain is warrantied for 10 years or something similar. I get free oil changes and basic maintenance. The dealer picks the car up from my house or office and returns it to me so I don't have to go there and wait. Why would I go to a garage mechanic?
In that case, you would be crazy to go somewhere other than the dealer.

But if you don't have maintenance included or if like MINI and BWM just did, your manufacturer drastically cut the benefits to the free included maintenance program, then, unless money means nothing to you, it's something to consider for things like oil changes, brakes, etc.

BWM and MINI will only cover oil changes when the computer says so, which is 15,000 plus miles. I changed mine in between the free dealer oil changes when I was still under maintenance. Now that brakes are no longer included in the plan, I'd do that too as no way I would pay the dealer to do it.

Now, if I needed warranty service and was close to wanting an oil change, I'd probably have the dealer do it as my time is worth something.

Basically, be logical about it.

Old 01-19-2016, 07:27 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,766,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worren View Post
Buy a K&N permanent filter and throw it in the dish washer once a year. Costs about the same as a dealer installed paper one but lasts the life of the car.
It doesn't mess up your dishwasher? I have a K&N and I clean it in an outside sink and it's nasty (actually I need to clean mine again now that I think about it) Would be nice to put in the dishwasher, but I'm afraid it would mess up the dishwasher and filter.

Old 01-19-2016, 08:03 AM

4,480 posts, read 3,849,852 times
Guys thank you so much for all this guidance!!!!!

Old 01-19-2016, 09:33 AM

384 posts, read 734,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
I am looking at buying a new Mercedes GLC300 and I have researched the dealer costs for maintenance of this car. I don't mind paying the oil change costs, but I have heard that the other maintenance services, like replacing fluids, replacing brake pads, stuff like that are 4-6 times what the same services would cost at Honda or Toyota, for example.

So if I take my car to a local German car shop for these services, does that invalidate my warranty? Does anyone know?
Just replace the parts with OEM parts, you will be fine

Old 01-19-2016, 10:03 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Just had this discussion with my wife while driving down the freeway. She had taken my daughter's car in for an oil change and the dealer had called her to alert her to a bunch of other engine work that needed to be done because the car was at the 60,000 mile point, including changing the timing belt.

My wife gets over-anxious about such things, so I had to be firm about pointing out that we just had the engine replaced under warranty only 15,000 miles ago...and I'd made a point of having them change the timing belt then. So all that normal 60,000 mile work was unnecessary...just change the oil.
Ha. Tell me about it. I mean I understand they just want to "upsell" which is fine if the work was actually needed. Hey you go in and your breaks are almost metal to metal tell the customer. The dealer my wife went to tried to sell her work that was not needed. They said she needed brakes. Her brakes were at 50%.
It finally needed brakes at 5-55,000. I bought new brakes and rotors because I knew eventually I would need to and I was ordering a bunch of parts so I saved on shipping.
I understand these service advisors are under the gun to bring as much money off of a car as they can. Out if all the mechanics I ever knew I only found two that were honest and did not try to sell me stuff that wasn't needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
It doesn't mess up your dishwasher? I have a K&N and I clean it in an outside sink and it's nasty (actually I need to clean mine again now that I think about it) Would be nice to put in the dishwasher, but I'm afraid it would mess up the dishwasher and filter.
Yeah you can't put it in the dishwasher. You'll probably ruin the filter

Old 01-19-2016, 10:19 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,735,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Ha. Tell me about it. I mean I understand they just want to "upsell" which is fine if the work was actually needed. Hey you go in and your breaks are almost metal to metal tell the customer. The dealer my wife went to tried to sell her work that was not needed. They said she needed brakes. Her brakes were at 50%.
It finally needed brakes at 5-55,000. I bought new brakes and rotors because I knew eventually I would need to and I was ordering a bunch of parts so I saved on shipping.
I understand these service advisors are under the gun to bring as much money off of a car as they can. Out if all the mechanics I ever knew I only found two that were honest and did not try to sell me stuff that wasn't needed.

Yeah you can't put it in the dishwasher. You'll probably ruin the filter
I'd be more concerned with ruining the dishwasher

Old 01-19-2016, 11:10 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
After having two terrible experiences attempting to get work done at my car dealer, I'm never going there again. The second time I ended up not getting the work done at all and pulling my Toyota out before they did the job because the customer service was so atrocious. I will just take my chances, not get any recall work done, and hope I don't burn in some fiery car crash due to not getting any recalls addressed

Old 01-19-2016, 11:27 AM

45,386 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post

Yeah, lotsa gunk comes off them. Do you use the K&N cleaning solution?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive