Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 02:28 PM

109 posts, read 554,534 times

Advertisements

Husband bought a used car with a check that cleared about two months ago. The dealer registered it for him and said we will get a title within a couple of weeks.
A week ago we started calling him about the title. He first kept saying that the previous owner is sending it, but now refuses to answer the phone. Last time I talked to him he said he was working on it and to not call him back again. He avoids our phone calls because he has a caller ID, and literally hides when we go to the dealership.
My question is, what is the best way to get our title? I have a feeling he is a dishonest person and doesn't plan to give us a title at all. Where do I complain? Husband said it is a really big crime.
We live in Florida.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 02:32 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,673,069 times
Call your states Sec. of State to report this and ask what can be done to clear this matter up.

If you don't call this guy will continue to hide from the law.

Old 08-03-2011, 03:11 PM

1,478 posts, read 5,082,292 times
I don't think it's such a big crime. You apply for the title through the DMV: Florida DHSMV - FAQs on Getting a Hassle Free Title

The dealer doesn't just give you the title. He and you sign it and when he registers your car for you he submits it to the DMV and they send you a new title. It can take a while and it is totally out of the dealer's hands if he submitted everything. So if he did everything correctly and the DMV is taking a long time, he's probably sick of hearing from you.

Old 08-03-2011, 03:16 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Call your states Sec. of State to report this and ask what can be done to clear this matter up.

If you don't call this guy will continue to hide from the law.
No, in Florida car titles at dealt with at the "local county tax agency".

Go to your local County Clerk's office with the paperwork you have and ask them how to proceed to get your title to the car. The phone calls that the dealer will be receiving in the future will be from the authorities ... not from you.

Old 08-03-2011, 03:20 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
I think the dealer, when applying for the title, receives a "Title Applied For" certificate, along with the registration. He is obliged to at least show you that certificate, if not give it to you. So the deal does sound a bit fishy.

But it is good advice to contact whatever agency in your state regulates titles and car registrations, and see what they say.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:54 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
this is exactly why i always tell the dealer that i will handle the paperwork with the dmv, and i get the title the dealer has for the car, signed and notarized, and go straight to the dmv to transfer everything into my name. these days it takes me about 15 minutes from the time i walk into the dmv, to when i walk out with new title, registration, and license plate ready to bolt onto my car.

it also saves me money because i dont have to pay any dealership paperwork fees as well.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:42 AM

109 posts, read 554,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
I don't think it's such a big crime. You apply for the title through the DMV: Florida DHSMV - FAQs on Getting a Hassle Free Title

The dealer doesn't just give you the title. He and you sign it and when he registers your car for you he submits it to the DMV and they send you a new title. It can take a while and it is totally out of the dealer's hands if he submitted everything. So if he did everything correctly and the DMV is taking a long time, he's probably sick of hearing from you.
You know, WE are sick of hearing from him that he is taking care of it and won't return our calls to just update on the situation. I think we at least deserve a courtesy call once a week to see how things are going. After all, he could have given us a title to complete the process ourselves. At this point, we figured out he owes on the car and doesn't want to pay.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:51 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Souds to me like he is sayig the former owner never signed the title over to the dealer really.That can be kind of a messs;call your attorney general's office having your receipt for the vehilce with you.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:16 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,263,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Souds to me like he is sayig the former owner never signed the title over to the dealer really.
That is what I'm wondering.

I guess this used dealer was selling this vehicle like consignment? Basically selling the vehicle for the owner instead of the dealership? If so this could become messy for sure.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:01 PM

1 posts, read 91,229 times
I bought a car and signed the title now the dealers saying I never signed it. He is lying ofcourse I did.
now he is saying he has the title and owns the car and he will not give it too me.
what should I do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive