U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 01:08 PM

3,446 posts, read 2,627,573 times

Advertisements

I am looking at buying a new Mercedes GLC300 and I have researched the dealer costs for maintenance of this car. I don't mind paying the oil change costs, but I have heard that the other maintenance services, like replacing fluids, replacing brake pads, stuff like that are 4-6 times what the same services would cost at Honda or Toyota, for example.

So if I take my car to a local German car shop for these services, does that invalidate my warranty? Does anyone know?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2016, 01:25 PM

22,155 posts, read 27,709,206 times
Having service done at a shop other than the dealer will absolutely NOT void the manufacturers warranty. They cannot decline warranty if you added aftermarket products unles they can prove the item caused the malfunction. It's called the Magnusson-Moss act

The only way it will is if the shop screwed the work and you expect the dealer to fix it. Say they do a transmission service but use wrong fluid or did not fill it completely and it messes up the transmission and you expect dealer to repair it for free. Keep the receipts in case you need to prove that you had the service completed if warranty issues come up. Say the main crank bearings go out and they say it's due to lack of maintenance you can prove the maintenance is completed at scheduled intervals

You can also DIY the service. Just keep receipts of the items purchased fluids filters belts etc.

Old 01-18-2016, 01:31 PM

17,650 posts, read 19,610,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
It will absolutely NOT void the warranty
Actually, it can. They'd need to prove that that's what caused the problem though. Say you went to one of those lube places and they didn't tighten the oil filter so five miles down the road it vibrated loose, dumped the oil down the highway and the engine seized. Yes, they'll deny the warranty in that case. They probably would at the dealer as well though, just more likely to get the dealer to step up and take care of the problem than you would the lube places.

See you edited that in as well, so n/m.

Old 01-18-2016, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Actually, it can. They'd need to prove that that's what caused the problem though. Say you went to one of those lube places and they didn't tighten the oil filter so five miles down the road it vibrated loose, dumped the oil down the highway and the engine seized. Yes, they'll deny the warranty in that case. They probably would at the dealer as well though, just more likely to get the dealer to step up and take care of the problem than you would the lube places.

Yeah that's a different situation. It's not a warranty issue.

Old 01-18-2016, 01:50 PM

24,497 posts, read 38,543,447 times
If work is done properly, it will not validate your warranty. Most states have laws saying that you cannot be forced to get work done at a dealer.

Old 01-18-2016, 02:35 PM

3,351 posts, read 5,344,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Having service done at a shop other than the dealer will absolutely NOT void the manufacturers warranty. They cannot decline warranty if you added aftermarket products unles they can prove the item caused the malfunction. It's called the Magnusson-Moss act
I hate it when people give into the fear that dealerships try to spread.

I know many people who bring their cars back to the dealer "because it's under warranty." I've bought a few new cars in my life and have never gone back to the dealer for anything besides recall work. I change my oil myself and will continue to do so.

Old 01-18-2016, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
I hate it when people give into the fear that dealerships try to spread.

I know many people who bring their cars back to the dealer "because it's under warranty." I've bought a few new cars in my life and have never gone back to the dealer for anything besides recall work. I change my oil myself and will continue to do so.
My wife used to take her car to the dealer before we met and while we were dating. . But they always had a laundry list of things that were imperative or the car was going to turn into a fire engulfed death trap that was going to level half the city.
Last time I didn't do a oil change and I told her to run by the dealer. Ok got busy I forgot. At least they can do that right. They came back with needed belts, air filter and new brakes and rotors send a suggested timing belt replacement. At 30,000 miles.
BS. They were simply praying on a customer. That dealer is no longer there. I wonder why?

Old 01-18-2016, 03:03 PM

639 posts, read 480,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post

That's exactly what electrician said, with a different example.

Old 01-18-2016, 03:06 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,269,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
Isn't that the point of buying a new car, though? To be able to have work performed at the dealership? Not necessarily an oil change, but anything that requires actual work on a car?

Old 01-18-2016, 03:08 PM

4,611 posts, read 4,536,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
Isn't that the point of buying a new car, though? To be able to have work performed at the dealership? Not necessarily an oil change, but anything that requires actual work on a car?
Huh. The only reason we buy cars at the dealership is because we have no other choice. Otherwise I would never visit a dealer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive