U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 01:11 PM

1,333 posts, read 742,112 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

A little bit ago I made a post asking for advice regarding my current car situation (or lack of car situation.) To which I got a lot of good advice, namely that I should get a cheap car now and save for my dream car if it's that important to me.

I liked this advice and I've been searching around for a little while now for $2k cars. Not a lot that I'd be interested in looking at showed up, but just yesterday a 1993 MX-6 popped onto the radar. To be honest, I knew nothing of the MX-6. I thought it was a typo at first.

I did a little research on it though and discovered that it appears to do very good concerning reliability. It's not terribly slow, given the day and age and price of the thing. Which brings me to the next point. This car is advertised in "Like-new" condition needing only an alignment. It has a lot of miles (130k) which makes me question if it's really "like-new," but I'm gonna go check it out tomorrow in any case.

The things that excite me about this car is:
  1. What appears to be a great price for what you get
  2. I like Mazda quite a bit
  3. The car is apparently quite easy to modify and gets pretty great results from minor modifications (10hp from a cold air intake alone.)
  4. A small close knit community means it is socially acceptable for me to wave at other drivers of MX-6s

So, my question is this:
Do you guys have any opinions or experience on the Ford Probe or the Mazda MX-6?
Most of the stuff I find is on the MX-6 forums, so it's definitely got a little bit of a pro MX-6 bias.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2016, 01:21 PM

5,242 posts, read 11,812,944 times
Fun little cars, I like them alot. They can look really good when done right

Old 01-22-2016, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Fun little cars, I like them alot. They can look really good when done right
Yeah, I thought so too. The body style reminds me of a less curvy RX-7 FD. I'd be buying one of those if I didn't care about reliability
Thanks for the input!

Old 01-22-2016, 01:32 PM

430 posts, read 541,152 times
It's kind of like a FWD 240sx, hence much cheaper

Old 01-22-2016, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejackalope View Post
It's kind of like a FWD 240sx, hence much cheaper
I suppose so. Is that a good thing?

Old 01-22-2016, 02:34 PM

7,688 posts, read 27,475,819 times
It was a platform mate to the Ford Probe and the Mazda 626. Any car of that age and mileage is likely to need work, but at least parts shouldn't be hard to find.

Old 01-22-2016, 02:40 PM

209 posts, read 346,008 times
I really liked those when they came out...heck they still look decent.

Not sure what transmission it has, but for some reason I seem to recall those and the Probes had issues with automatic transmissions.....a manual should be fine

Old 01-22-2016, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969351 View Post
I really liked those when they came out...heck they still look decent.

Not sure what transmission it has, but for some reason I seem to recall those and the Probes had issues with automatic transmissions.....a manual should be fine
I saw that the auto was much slower than the manual, but I didn't see anyone mention the problems. I'll have to check on that.

Guess what? It's an ..... *wait for it* ..... ATX ...

Old 01-23-2016, 12:57 PM

10,918 posts, read 28,888,503 times
130k is not that high for a 23-year-old car. I'd be more concerned with the lack of modern safety equipment if that's a factor, traction control, stability control, head/side airbags, etc. For an inexpensive car, though, for a few months, until you're in a position to buy the car that you want, it might not be too much of an issue. I'd factor it at about a six-month use cycle, and if you run into a major repair, dump the car.

I knew someone who had one of the MX-6, and it was not a bad car for the era. I seem to recall someone else I know who had a Probe having more little issues, but that was likely due to the Ford parts bin on some of the issues.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 01-24-2016, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
130k is not that high for a 23-year-old car. I'd be more concerned with the lack of modern safety equipment if that's a factor, traction control, stability control, head/side airbags, etc. For an inexpensive car, though, for a few months, until you're in a position to buy the car that you want, it might not be too much of an issue. I'd factor it at about a six-month use cycle, and if you run into a major repair, dump the car.

I knew someone who had one of the MX-6, and it was not a bad car for the era. I seem to recall someone else I know who had a Probe having more little issues, but that was likely due to the Ford parts bin on some of the issues.
Yeah, I think that's good advice. I was really hoping to take a look at it yesterday or today and potentially buy it monday if it was as good as they claim, but the guy is pretty hard to work with.
I emailed him a Friday morning asking about the car and got a response within 15 minutes saying "Yeah! I still have it, you can check it out Saturday!"
Then I tried to find out when and where would work and I never got a response. Saturday comes along and he asks if I can check it out Sunday instead. Now it's Sunday and I haven't heard from him again. So... I'll probably have to move along. It's a bummer though. I would have been pretty happy to have a nice condition car for the price.
Most of the other cars in the price range are Chevy Cavaliers and rusty accords.

EDIT:
I found a few other good condition cheaper cars.
I found a Ford Explorer with 125k in pretty decent condition.
I found a 98' Dodge Dakota Sport V6 with 140k in good mechanical condition, but the paint on the hood and roof is fading.

From a cursory search, the Dakota sucks gas. I haven't found a lot on it yet, but it sounds like the v8 has tranny issues, but the v6 is pretty solid. I'll need to do a bit more research. The owner of the truck has been extremely responsive, which wins some points for me (it all comes down to the truck though, of course.) I'm gonna be moving out in 5 months or so, and having a truck around would make life significantly easier, so that's definitely something to think about for me.

Last edited by Skyl3r; 01-24-2016 at 01:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive