Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2016, 06:07 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,172,754 times

Advertisements

I need one of these

Shop and Compare Car Scissor Lifts from Greg Smith Equipment | Greg Smith Equipment Sales, Inc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 09:28 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,184,182 times
I am seeing more and more people install 2 post lifts in their home garage.

It really isn't too expensive. I see them used from time to time for about $1500. With what I saved today plus one break job, I would of saved enough money to buy one.

Of course if you don't have high ceilings you might as well get one of those scissor lifts.

When you aren't paying 50-100% mark up on parts plus labor, which lots of dealers are at or over $100/hr now, the savings starts to really add up.

Old 01-25-2016, 11:02 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,067,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
I am seeing more and more people install 2 post lifts in their home garage.

It really isn't too expensive. I see them used from time to time for about $1500. With what I saved today plus one break job, I would of saved enough money to buy one.

Of course if you don't have high ceilings you might as well get one of those scissor lifts.

When you aren't paying 50-100% mark up on parts plus labor, which lots of dealers are at or over $100/hr now, the savings starts to really add up.
It really isn't too expensive unless you count the cost of the garage you're installing the lift in. In a city, that is a cost you're never going to make up in DIY repairs.

Old 01-25-2016, 11:21 PM

3,972 posts, read 5,163,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
You know even the pros can't always get it right

Lazy Idiots At Lube Shop Cut Hole In Audi S4's Aero Pan Instead Of Removing It

I do find I can schedule my stuff around my schedule, especially major tasks that need to be done in a timely manner.
LOL at you calling lube shop jockeys 'pros'. A real mechanic would probably sock a guy for saying that.

If you must take a vehicle in for oil, coolant, whatever, go to a reputable shop with ASE certified mechanics. Yeah it will cost a little more and you may not get in and out as quickly, but it will get done right with quality fluids and filters.

I'm a little spoiled with oil changes since I can slide under my truck and do everything without lifting it. A single 14mm wrench is all I need. I used good dino oil and a Motorcraft filter. I even replace the pan bolt gasket each time. So for oil it's $17, filter $4, bolt gasket $1. So for $22 and half an hour out of my day I can change it and know I did it right. Plus I can see if there are any other leaks or problems underneath.

Old 01-26-2016, 12:55 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,202,897 times
Anytime I hear some random chucklehead calling for other dudes to man up I have to think.

Gee how much of a man are you to worry about what other "men" are doing with their cars and finances.

Maybe you should man up mind your own business.

Old 01-26-2016, 06:57 AM

10,086 posts, read 5,729,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Some folks mentioned brakes... and those are among the best examples of where you can save money. I've known people to pay anywhere from $400 to $800 for new brakes (all 4 wheels).

Guess what that job costs me. About $80 and a couple hours of tinkering.

Oh, but you don't have time (better spent playing x-box of course). Well you have to drop you car off at Midas. Talk to the illiterates and make arrangements. Find a ride. Come back to the shop to pick up your car. Argue with them because they charged more than they quoted. Pay extra and leave. Come back the next day and make them fix it again because the high school dropout didn't install the brakes correctly. Get another ride. Come back. Argue about the bill. Go home and blame everybody else for your string of bad decisions.

Costs me FAR less time to just do the job myself. And I know it's done right.
Not everyone is mechanically inclined. To suggest that every guy out there is not manning up by doing their own brakes is like me suggesting that everyone out there should be able to play fingerstyle guitar which I am good at doing.

Tools dont feel comfortable in my hands. My brain has a hard time understanding mechanics. I even struggle to read a diagram and assemble one of those "easy to assemble" bookshelves. Even if I have the best instruction videos out there, I could see myself disassembling the brakes and not being to get it all fitted back together. What then? Call a tow truck to come all it to someone who can do brakes? I think most people don't fix their own cars because it is really intimidating and you don't want to mess up something that is vital to your livelihood.

Old 01-26-2016, 07:29 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,098,323 times
Quote:
All the time I run across people with vehicle problems. Repairs costing hundreds and even thousands of dollars. Car payments costing hundreds per month. People defaulting on student loans because of vehicle expenses. This pains me because most of it is totally unnecessary.
Many people are too daft or too cheap to perform even basic maintenance on their vehicles. There have been several threads on this forum alone where people (with no mechanical training whatsoever, I may add) debate if it is even necessary to warm up a vehicle's engine in the winter before driving. One can only imagine how important these people must think routine maintenance like changing engine or transmission oil must be.

Seriously... If one is this clueless, it comes as no surprise whatsoever when they suffer a major vehicle breakdown and start blaming the manufacturer rather than their own stupidity.

Old 01-26-2016, 08:00 AM

4,684 posts, read 6,133,422 times
Quote:
I hear ya' man. I replaced the fuel pump in my old GMC truck when i bought it three years ago. Cost me $20
I think you are referring to your fuel filter, unless you got the deal of the century on a fuel pump.

Old 01-26-2016, 08:44 AM

321 posts, read 419,532 times
If you're serious about people "manning up" and fixing their own vehicle, why not buy a cheap video camera and do short instructional videos of things that you think most people should be able to do.

Try to actually solve the problem. Man up.

Old 01-26-2016, 09:24 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,762,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
Many people are too daft or too cheap to perform even basic maintenance on their vehicles. There have been several threads on this forum alone where people (with no mechanical training whatsoever, I may add) debate if it is even necessary to warm up a vehicle's engine in the winter before driving. One can only imagine how important these people must think routine maintenance like changing engine or transmission oil must be.

Seriously... If one is this clueless, it comes as no surprise whatsoever when they suffer a major vehicle breakdown and start blaming the manufacturer rather than their own stupidity.
It's unnecessary to warm up modern engines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive