Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2018, 11:40 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,462,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
I'm seeing a lot of complaining lately on this forum... people crying about how some dealership ripped them off.

Time to bump this thread and remind folks:

It's time to MAN UP and fix your own vehicle*

Or not. If you ladies like being ripped off by some greasy hick with a wrench, feel free. I'm just saying it doesn't have to be that way

It's also time to man up and fix your own computer, your own television set, do the dishes, mow your own lawn, learn to braid your daughter's hair, learn to cook your own food, work that beer gut off, learn to do your own roofing, learn to put down your own floors, learn to build your own house from scratch, and be honest with your wife and tell her she really does look fat in those jeans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2018, 11:44 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,953,154 times
Quote:
That's great JG. I'm happy to hear that you're independently wealthy, and wish you continued success as a multi-millionaire

But for the rest of us... being ripped off for repair bills costing hundreds or thousands of dollars is pretty inconvenient.

Time to Man Up.
Wouldn't go that far. But an oil change is what $30? If I, hypothetically, made only $15 and included the time it took me to get the oil and get set up (maybe 1.5-2hrs total) plus the cost of the oil, I'd come out either even or a few dollars behind just paying someone to do it.

For more complex repairs, if you figure I have to spend a whole day plus buy a set of tools and parts, I'd probably break even. Some people like fixing cars, I hate it. I'd rather work and make up the cost.

Old 10-04-2018, 11:54 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,939,336 times
You don’t need to be independently wealthy, just make more than $15 an hour.

Old 10-04-2018, 12:03 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,765,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
It's also time to man up and fix your own computer, your own television set, do the dishes, mow your own lawn, learn to braid your daughter's hair, learn to cook your own food, work that beer gut off, learn to do your own roofing, learn to put down your own floors, learn to build your own house from scratch, and be honest with your wife and tell her she really does look fat in those jeans.
Nah, you can buy good service for most of those items.

Most people *can't* buy consistently honest and high quality automotive maintenance and repair. The industry is too far gone.

So your choice is to man up or pay up.

Old 10-04-2018, 12:06 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,765,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Wouldn't go that far. But an oil change is what $30? If I, hypothetically, made only $15 and included the time it took me to get the oil and get set up (maybe 1.5-2hrs total) plus the cost of the oil, I'd come out either even or a few dollars behind just paying someone to do it.

For more complex repairs, if you figure I have to spend a whole day plus buy a set of tools and parts, I'd probably break even. Some people like fixing cars, I hate it. I'd rather work and make up the cost.
That's a fair point if you don't understand the risk you're taking with a Jeffylube oil change. Seriously, those guys are bottom of the barrel... in an industry where even the best are iffy.

Personally I wouldn't let Jeffylube or the like change the oil on my vehicle for free.

Old 10-04-2018, 12:08 PM

Quote:
That's a fair point if you don't understand the risk you're taking with a Jeffylube oil change. Seriously, those guys are bottom of the barrel... in an industry where even the best are iffy.

Personally I wouldn't let Jeffylube or the like change the oil on my vehicle for free.
No disagreement here, but my personal mechanic charges about the same

Old 10-04-2018, 12:16 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,411,027 times
Quote:
No disagreement here, but my personal mechanic charges about the same
Jiffy lube and other 10 min oil change places are a rip off they have high school auto shop kids changing oil that could care less about your vehicle I’ve see striped oil drain plugs wrong oil and oil filter. These places are a joke.

Old 10-04-2018, 12:46 PM

1,002 posts, read 916,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
I can, and do. I'm able to save around 75% of my income and am on track for a very early retirement. I feel the labor also improves my health, and learning how things work displaces mindless entertainment.

Oh, and my girlfriend does all of these things as well, so she looks very nice in her jeans.

Old 10-04-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Jiffy lube and other 10 min oil change places are a rip off they have high school auto shop kids changing oil that could care less about your vehicle I’ve see striped oil drain plugs wrong oil and oil filter. These places are a joke.
Again no disagreement, but my good regular mechanic also only charges $30. You don't have to go to Jiffy Lube for an oil change.

Old 10-04-2018, 01:09 PM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,326,350 times
Quote:

I love this argument, because it is used so much and makes zero sense. It takes me less than a hour to change my own oil in my garage. I'd spend much more time driving to the dealership, waiting to get in, waiting for the actual oil change, enduring the upsell for a bunch of crap I don't need from some desperate service manager, paying the bill at the cashier cage, and then I get to drive home. Seriously, you think that's better than doing it myself? BTW, I also have no real idea if it was done well or even done at all.

I get you don't want to work on cars. No problem, but don't act like getting your oil changed somewhere is a better solution due to time. Because that's BS.

My vehicles are better maintained than 90% of the other cars on the road, because so many people can't even afford basic maintenance due to high labor/shop costs.

I've owned tools for nearly 40 years, so I'm thinking they were a pretty good investment. I have saved myself countless thousands of dollars doing major/minor repairs myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive